The food plot stageing areas.

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

alleyyooper

The food plot stageing areas.

Unread postby alleyyooper » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:10 am

I went and worked several small areas to plant food plot seeds last year. Was a bit late for planting in this area as frost was soon to come. I used the tines on my box blade to work up the soil in a couple different areas one about 200'x 75' feet wide, a logging road thru my woods and a small guessing 75' x 50' spot.

I spread the seeds with a small Scotts hand seeder I use around the place to fertlize the flower beds and spread mole be gone.
Draged a old tractor tire once the seed was down, need a roller to do a better job.

The logging road seed had just got started when the leaves started falling and seemed smother the start, then went no where.
I think that would have been better if it had a earlier start.

The big plot did well as it had been a farm field and the Previous owner had me plow them a garden there in all day full sun.
but still it seemed as if the part I had plowed grew better than the other half.

The spot that did the best was the 75'x50' area, man that grew well and was solid sod when I went in there with the box blade and tore it up to plant.

July 2020 I start walking thru the planted areas of last year. Decide I will run the brush hog over the over growing areas and see what I have left.

Two areas of last year is really thick with clover. I decided to just go with the clover growing there so thick and lush.

The other areas other than the logging roads I ran the tiller thru plus a new area on the south side of the pond, very dry when I brush hogged it. During the tilling was very wet and stopped me from doing the whole brush hogged area.

With afternoon rain in the forcast yesterday afternoon I spread the seed with the idea the rain would make better ground contact.
No rain so today will use the old tractor tire to cover the seeds.

There are farm fields to my north West across the road East across my back line fence thru a small bit of woods. and a horse farm to the south kept mowed to look like a Kenkucy blue grass horse farm.
the farm fields are rotated between corn and soy beans every year.

I am attempting to hold the deer on my place longer in the evening before they head for the open fields. I am not hunting over those food plots.

Al

Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”