Fertilizer this late

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

Fertilizer this late

Unread postby Elite » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:14 am

Some of my brassicas are starting to turn yellow and I've read this is due to low nitrogen. I planted July 3rd so they're done growing by Sept 3rd if not sooner. Is it necessary to spread more fertilizer?

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: Fertilizer this late

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:51 pm

It all depends what you already used. If you got a soil test & followed it you shouldn't have yellow leaves. They should be growing fast & be very healthy. Without a soil test it's hard to say what you are missing. It's tough to make a good recommendation without knowing what you already put down (I don't read everybody's posts).
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:04 pm

I did the soil test and applied the necessary lime (800#) and fertilizer (125#). I spread 20# of urea the first week of August, too. Brassicas have a 60 day growing period so it'll be done in the next few days.
Robert

Unread postby Robert » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:25 pm

In the past I have found that if you seeded to heavy, or if the ground is too wet it can cause yellowing leaves. Depending on where you live, i have had better luck planting closer to the end of July too.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:29 pm

Robert wrote:In the past I have found that if you seeded to heavy, or if the ground is too wet it can cause yellowing leaves. Depending on where you live, i have had better luck planting closer to the end of July too.

We have had a lot of rain the last month. There's a small pool of water in the plot, too.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:25 pm

Yellow leaves can be caused by a lot more than an N deficiency. You need to investigate further... Is the yellowing occurring on just the new growth, just the old growth? Some nutrients are mobile and some are not. MEaning the plant can take them from old-growth to provide to new (mobile) or not.

N - is a mobile nutrient. This means old growth will yellow as the plant takes from old-growth to provide to new. Zinc, Magnesium, and Sulfer deficiencies will also cause yellowing of the leaves.

You'll have to do a little research... The above doesn't even consider soil PH either... Something else that can cause you fits.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:14 pm

Elite wrote:
Robert wrote:In the past I have found that if you seeded to heavy, or if the ground is too wet it can cause yellowing leaves. Depending on where you live, i have had better luck planting closer to the end of July too.

We have had a lot of rain the last month. There's a small pool of water in the plot, too.

If you applied the right type of fertilizer & lime at the proper amounts than you should be fine there, but brassica's do NOT like wet feet! That will make them sickly & can make them yellow & even rot.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:25 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:Yellow leaves can be caused by a lot more than an N deficiency. You need to investigate further... Is the yellowing occurring on just the new growth, just the old growth? Some nutrients are mobile and some are not. MEaning the plant can take them from old-growth to provide to new (mobile) or not.

N - is a mobile nutrient. This means old growth will yellow as the plant takes from old-growth to provide to new. Zinc, Magnesium, and Sulfer deficiencies will also cause yellowing of the leaves.

You'll have to do a little research... The above doesn't even consider soil PH either... Something else that can cause you fits.

Looks like you did the research for me! Thanks for this.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:09 am

The reason why I planted 7/3 is because our first frost is typically September 1-10. We also didn't have any rain in the forecast at the time I wanted to plant (July 18).
Robert

Unread postby Robert » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:50 pm

Elite wrote:

The reason why I planted 7/3 is because our first frost is typically September 1-10. We also didn't have any rain in the forecast at the time I wanted to plant (July 18).

Got it, you must be pretty far north. But sounds like you did everything right, seems like mother nature didn't help you with all the rain. Brassica's usually hold up pretty good with a frost or two. The deer love them by me come late season!
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:10 pm

Robert wrote:
Elite wrote:

Got it, you must be pretty far north. But sounds like you did everything right, seems like mother nature didn't help you with all the rain. Brassica's usually hold up pretty good with a frost or two. The deer love them by me come late season!

From what I can tell the bulbs are very small; unless they're under the dirt. This is my first food plot and it exceeded my expectations! Hopefully the bucks start hitting it after the first frost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert

Unread postby Robert » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:30 pm

Elite wrote:
Robert wrote:
Elite wrote:

From what I can tell the bulbs are very small; unless they're under the dirt. This is my first food plot and it exceeded my expectations! Hopefully the bucks start hitting it after the first frost.

Looks good!

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”