Hunting bear over fresh sign. Possible???

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Hunting bear over fresh sign. Possible???

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:21 pm

I've never bear hunted. I like watching all the vids of guys sitting over bait and I know some guys chase them with dogs but I want to know if anyone has ever hunted bear just by still-hunting or setting up over fresh bear sign. I know an area with a heavy bear trail that I been finding bear tracks and other sign the last few years and been wondering if setting up on the trail, lets say, with maybe scent attractants, or using very small amount of bait would be a way to hunt these bear. This is a very small public land section and Im not sure if piling tons of bait in there would be a smart idea. Is it possible? Im looking forward to what you bear guys have to say.

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Hunting bear over fresh sign. Possible???

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:28 pm

I know someone that was deer hunting the up in Michigan early October. He was eating black licorice threw in on the ground by his stand. He had a huge bear come in right to the licorice. So it's possible using small amounts. I'm not a bear expert tho

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:34 pm

A honey burn would be what I would try in that situation if it was legal. I have never tried it as it isn't leaf legal here. I also would substitute bacon for the sardines but I don't have much bear experience.

http://youtu.be/0r9cI3XCCw8

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:59 pm

Just setting up on sign is a real longshot. I do know of some hunters who have killed bears by sitting in old apple orchards, on trails leading to oats fields or corn fields that the bears are using, but it's a really tough way to fill a tag. If I lived in Wisconsin and waited as long as it takes to draw a bear tag, I would use every advantage I could to hopefully put a bear in front of me during daylight.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:10 pm

A friend of mine used to hunt Red lake Minnesota area where you can buy bear tags over the counter and him and a friend used to get there bear ever year within the 1st week setting up on trails leading to corn fields
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:03 pm

dan wrote:A friend of mine used to hunt Red lake Minnesota area where you can buy bear tags over the counter and him and a friend used to get there bear ever year within the 1st week setting up on trails leading to corn fields

Yep, this is how some people do it in PA, but most do drives. You're not allowed to bait bear in PA.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:46 am

We've got a few in camp over the years just being in the vacinity. ..

The fawn in distress bleat can has been an effective call - no joke.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:39 am

Crazinamatese wrote:I've never bear hunted. I like watching all the vids of guys sitting over bait and I know some guys chase them with dogs but I want to know if anyone has ever hunted bear just by still-hunting or setting up over fresh bear sign. I know an area with a heavy bear trail that I been finding bear tracks and other sign the last few years and been wondering if setting up on the trail, lets say, with maybe scent attractants, or using very small amount of bait would be a way to hunt these bear. This is a very small public land section and Im not sure if piling tons of bait in there would be a smart idea. Is it possible? Im looking forward to what you bear guys have to say.

There's only one reason you will find a bear trail here in Wisconsin and chances are that bear trail you are referring too is one that is leading to and from someone's bear bait station. Have you ever followed that trail to see where it starts or ends up at? Other than corn fields early in the season I guess it would be possible to get a crack at one but highly unlikely. It would be a huge accomplishment if a hunter was able to score on a bear without bait here in Wisconsin. I am sure it has been done. I know only one hunter that used a call and shot a bear. He was set up just outside a huge corn field, (nuisance bear tag) blew on his call and a bear came running out.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:50 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:We've got a few in camp over the years just being in the vacinity. ..

The fawn in distress bleat can has been an effective call - no joke.

Friend of mine called a bear in with a fawn bleat while hunting on the edge of a swamp in northern WI. He said you could tell it was looking for an easy meal as the bear came stalking in.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:35 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:I've never bear hunted. I like watching all the vids of guys sitting over bait and I know some guys chase them with dogs but I want to know if anyone has ever hunted bear just by still-hunting or setting up over fresh bear sign. I know an area with a heavy bear trail that I been finding bear tracks and other sign the last few years and been wondering if setting up on the trail, lets say, with maybe scent attractants, or using very small amount of bait would be a way to hunt these bear. This is a very small public land section and Im not sure if piling tons of bait in there would be a smart idea. Is it possible? Im looking forward to what you bear guys have to say.

There's only one reason you will find a bear trail here in Wisconsin and chances are that bear trail you are referring too is one that is leading to and from someone's bear bait station. Have you ever followed that trail to see where it starts or ends up at? Other than corn fields early in the season I guess it would be possible to get a crack at one but highly unlikely. It would be a huge accomplishment if a hunter was able to score on a bear without bait here in Wisconsin. I am sure it has been done. I know only one hunter that used a call and shot a bear. He was set up just outside a huge corn field, (nuisance bear tag) blew on his call and a bear came running out.

I have only followed some of it and it leads to a very thick swampy creek. When I see tracks, they are always going toward the creek. The other side of the creek is private land so I haven't the slightest idea if anyone is baiting over there. It is a very distinct trail. Alot of scratching trees, tracks, scat. Thanks for the replies everyone.
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Might be just a coincidence, but since I started beast style hunting, my bear sightings have gone way up. It seems bears will bed much like a buck here in PA. Hunted a bedding area a few years ago 3 times and saw the same bear all 3 sits.

swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:43 pm

My area has very limited amount of oak trees. I have had good success over the years hunting small oak patches. Every time I find some oak I record their location. When I want to hunt without bait I bounce from spot to spot until I see fresh sign then I hunt it. I have also used a canoe to hunt oaks along waterways with ok success. Floating under a bear feeding in a tree is neat. Also works good to haul the bear out
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:11 pm

Mike Foss wrote:

You were right Mike. I followed that same trail a little more the other day and sure enough it led to two hollowed out stumps and a concrete brick. Someone was baiting them. Even found a fresh scratching tree at the site? Is that what they are called? I will have to take a pic next time to show you.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:30 am

Crazinamatese wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

You were right Mike. I followed that same trail a little more the other day and sure enough it led to two hollowed out stumps and a concrete brick. Someone was baiting them. Even found a fresh scratching tree at the site? Is that what they are called? I will have to take a pic next time to show you.

Well, now you know. I am glad you followed that trail and found out where it leads too. Its amazing how many illegal baits are out there (concrete brick :naughty: ). You would think people would do there homework.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:55 am

No baiting in Montana. Most bears hunted and killed on purpose. Not just luckily seeing one. Are taken by spot and stalk. Most hunters are using rifles taking longer range shots. There's also a spring season. So glassing the better greened up grassy areas works well.

I got a little lucky with the bear I killed. It was spring and I WAS looking for a bear. Was in a new spot and it wasn't very open. Started seeing large piles of bear doo. Diameter was about the size of a silver dollar. So a better than average bear. Then saw a couple tracks, about 6" across (so a 6' bear squared), in the mud heading down hill. So I kept heading up figuring the bear had a den farther up the mountain. Had a slight crosswind. Kicked out a herd of elk. Went a little farther and saw all the nice green grass on the hillside ahead.

Knelt down next to a stump and just started watching and looking. After about 30-45 minutes saw the bear coming at about 100 yards. He was feeding and moving slowly. Put on a stalk and got to about 40 yards. Cover ran out and the bear was feeding. Totally unaware I was there. When he got broadside to me I drew my compound, settled my 40 pin and let fly. Hit him a little high but he only ran 60 yards across the hillside in front of me. Fell rolled a little and death moaned. Stepped it off and it was 37 steps and a little uphill.

It squared 6'2" and weighed 278# dressed. About 300# live I guess. Good for a spring bear in that area. Skull measured 18 3/16".

Sorry for the highjack!!! Just drummed up a really great memory and what I consider my best hunting accomplishment. Lots different here in the Midwest.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”