2017 Bear Hunt - BassBoysLLP

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Re: 2017 Bear Hunt - BassBoysLLP

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:54 pm

Nice work. Cool pics of the bear lovin too :mrgreen:

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Success comes in several forms during the baiting season. I'm always searching for a deal and today I hit the jackpot. I scored 1300 lbs of candy mix, trail mix, cookie candy mix, and berry granola (4 drums total) for 8.8 cents a pound plus free toppings and fryer oil.
:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Last edited by BassBoysLLP on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:43 pm

Wow! That's a great deal
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Smoking deal. Are you set with bait for the season now?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Hodag Hunter wrote:Smoking deal. Are you set with bait for the season now?

Probably not with the number of active baits. At a minimum I'll trade all my empty barrels in my garage for a drum of something just to recover the space, but most likely I'll end up buying another deal and some trail mix.
Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:42 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Success comes in several forms during the baiting season. I'm always searching for a deal and today I hit the jackpot. I scored 1300 lbs of candy mix, trail mix, cookie candy mix, and berry granola (4 drums total) for 8.8 cents a pound plus free toppings and fryer oil.

Thats a very good deal! How much bait do you put out at a time?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:55 am

Hunt247365 wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:Success comes in several forms during the baiting season. I'm always searching for a deal and today I hit the jackpot. I scored 1300 lbs of candy mix, trail mix, cookie candy mix, and berry granola (4 drums total) for 8.8 cents a pound plus free toppings and fryer oil.

Thats a very good deal! How much bait do you put out at a time?

10 gallons. The full legal limit. I'd only be able to justify less if there was bait left at the site. It's always gone.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:41 pm

As I mentioned in a previous posted, I'm a big fan of scented oils at my sites. The scent persists and every critter that visits the sit leaves scent trail away from the bait like spokes on a wheel.

I start every bait with 3-5 gallons of scented oil. This lays down a good foundation of scent. I typically completely cover my logs, stumps, and rocks with this oil. This ensures the bears cover their paws with the oil when manipulating the bait and it also serves as a preservative for any wood material.

After the initial oil load, I continue to add oil every time I bait but I generally keep the quantities to 20 ounces unless the bait goes cold and I need to resurrect it. Many of my baits arent close to the road and the smaller quantity also reduces trips or fatigue or carring larger quantities or oil.

This is what my typical oil set up looks like on bait prep night. A large carboy of filtered spent deep fryer oil, scent of choice, a juice bottle, and several 20 Oz gatorade bottles. Decant oil into the juice bottle, add a dash of scent, mix, and split across the gatorade bottles.

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:48 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:As I mentioned in a previous posted, I'm a big fan of scented oils at my sites. The scent persists and every critter that visits the sit leaves scent trail away from the bait like spokes on a wheel.

I start every bait with 3-5 gallons of scented oil. This lays down a good foundation of scent. I typically completely cover my logs, stumps, and rocks with this oil. This ensures the bears cover their paws with the oil when manipulating the bait and it also serves as a preservative for any wood material.

After the initial oil load, I continue to add oil every time I bait but I generally keep the quantities to 20 ounces unless the bait goes cold and I need to resurrect it. Many of my baits arent close to the road and the smaller quantity also reduces trips or fatigue or carring larger quantities or oil.

This is what my typical oil set up looks like on bait prep night. A large carboy of filtered spent deep fryer oil, scent of choice, a juice bottle, and several 20 Oz gatorade bottles. Decant oil into the juice bottle, add a dash of scent, mix, and split across the gatorade bottles.

Whats the gun for? you got bears coming into your garage :lol: LOL
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:03 am

Mike Foss wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:As I mentioned in a previous posted, I'm a big fan of scented oils at my sites. The scent persists and every critter that visits the sit leaves scent trail away from the bait like spokes on a wheel.

I had a bit of mishap during prep and ended up creaming the side of leg. I took my gun out before giving my pants to my wife. I finished bait prep in my skivvies. :lol:
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:12 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

I had a bit of mishapduring prep and ended up creaming the side of leg. I took my gun out before giving my pants to my wife. I finished bait prep in my skivvies. :lol:

Better than the bear spray going off in the truck when the wife is sitting in the passenger seat! Awesome deal on bear bait....wish I could get a deal like that!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:23 am

Mike Foss wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

I had a bit of mishapduring prep and ended up creaming the side of leg. I took my gun out before giving my pants to my wife. I finished bait prep in my skivvies. :lol:

Better than the bear spray going off in the truck when the wife is sitting in the passenger seat! Awesome deal on bear bait....wish I could get a deal like that!

Ouch. In the truck had to be rough, real rough. We had one blow up under the seat of a jeep once when adjusting the seat. We did our best to wash it out but every time the floor boards would heat up from the catalytic converter the bear spray would revaporize and your eyes would start to burn. It took years for it to go away. A lot of miles with the windows cracked.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:56 am

Between the 3 of us I think we could have a best selling book on truck mishaps! :lol: Ever put milkweed pods on the heater vents under the windshield and forget about them then turn the heater on full blast after they have dried and opened?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:45 am

Site #1 - Hogback

A lot of activity on this one. One decent bear.

It was all fun and games until these cubs decided to adjust the camera. :lol:

Site #2 - Creek Bottom

Good activity but nothing big. All smallish bears.

Site #3 - Swamp Point
Good activity but nothing big. Activity dominated by 400 pics of the same sow and cubs. She owned the bait but was always on high alert. Every gaze into the distance was almost immediately follow by a boar showing up on the bait.

SIte #4 - Deep Ravine

Boot tracks and camera stolen. :angry-screaming:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:02 am

Dang turdbags. I hate thieves.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”