Lesser known wild foods

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brancher147

Re: Lesser known wild foods

Postby brancher147 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:41 am

My sources say they also like dogwood berries. :L:

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Postby dan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:29 pm

I am starting to really notice that they seem to love buckthorn leaves... I have observed them walk right past lush food plots and crops to feed in a buckthorn thicket. Watched one yesterday walk right thru a clover plot to feed on buckthorn, then later come back and eat a little clover before laying down.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Postby Mike Foss » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:16 am

dan wrote:I am starting to really notice thatthey seem to love buckthorn leaves... I have observed them walk right past lush food plots and crops to feed in a buckthorn thicket. Watched one yesterday walk right thru a clover plot to feed on buckthorn, then later come back and eat a little clover before laying down.

If its edible bears will eat it, especially this time of year...notice how green those buckthorn leaves still are.
peteinvermont

Postby peteinvermont » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:58 am

Do you have witch hobble in the upper midwest? The berries are only on them for a short time here in the northeast, but when they're in bloom, you can't even stand up near them...the ground is slippery with bear turds. They love those things.
swampyak
500 Club

Postby swampyak » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:44 am

peteinvermont wrote:Do you have witch hobble in the upper midwest? The berries are only on them for a short time here in the northeast, but when they're in bloom, you can't even stand up near them...the ground is slippery with bear turds. They love those things.

Haven't heard of them in our area

Return to “Bear Hunting”