Bear Warm Up and helpful Secrets

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Bear Warm Up and helpful Secrets

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat May 30, 2015 10:23 am

bowhunter15 wrote:Just a quick question? Does the term "cribbing" refer to arranging your bait site so that the bear's head is blocked and it is forced into a good shot angle to get to the bait? Kind of like in this video? I'm loving the tips so far. I plan on hitting the woods hard this year scouting for bear.

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRkwzuMknWI[/bbvideo]

Yes.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat May 30, 2015 11:13 am

TO me cribbing means forcing the bear to enter the bait site offering a shot... bears like to come in and face your access (which is generally where my preferred trees are) offering only a head on shot... So I crib with a big tree, or logs, or some other obstacle.
Check out the my bear show on HB/TV right now and look at the "cribbing" used to get that bear to circle for a shot.

Here is a link: hbtv.php?vn=ebt&ep=1
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat May 30, 2015 12:19 pm

BassboysLLP......This year prior to the bait station being re-baited those big bears have already visited numerous times. I would use a hollow log and place that log about 50 to 70 yards directly to the West away from its original spot, continue to bait all Summer long then one day before the season starts move it back, same hollow log and all to its original spot. I don't like setting a stand up the same day as the hunt opener but would make an exception, the tree is already prepped and use Dan's favorite set up, Lone Wolf with the Lone Wolf ladder sticks which I have.
My thinking is :think: , those bears will use the wind, find NEW entrance points and exits to there advantage like they always do, they will get accustomed to there same habitual routine on this new set up but also do still know where the old set up is. I bet for a few days during the season while the bait station is back at its original spot those bears will continue to use to what they think is to there advantage the new spot that was baited all Summer long "are you guys following me?" Bears thinking and scenting there is no danger will hopefully make there way back to the original bait station during daylight hours and slip up, offering that archery hunter a once in a life time opportunity. :dance:

You know what? I just talked myself into trying this. I have already baited and set a stand up for a rifle hunter on this particular stand, but will move it this Tuesday to a different location like I explained above. Let see what happens :clap:
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat May 30, 2015 12:44 pm

Mike Foss wrote:BassboysLLP......This year prior to the bait station being re-baited those big bears have already visited numerous times. I would use a hollow log and place that log about 50 to 70 yards directly to the West away from its original spot, continue to bait all Summer long then one day before the season starts move it back, same hollow log and all to its original spot. I don't like setting a stand up the same day as the hunt opener but would make an exception, the tree is already prepped and use Dan's favorite set up, Lone Wolf with the Lone Wolf ladder sticks which I have.
My thinking is :think: , those bears will use the wind, find NEW entrance points and exits to there advantage like they always do, they will get accustomed to there same habitual routine on this new set up but also do still know where the old set up is. I bet for a few days during the season while the bait station is back at its original spot those bears will continue to use to what they think is to there advantage the new spot that was baited all Summer long "are you guys following me?" Bears thinking and scenting there is no danger will hopefully make there way back to the original bait station during daylight hours and slip up, offering that archery hunter a once in a life time opportunity. :dance:

You know what? I just talked myself into trying this. I have already baited and set a stand up for a rifle hunter on this particular stand, but will move it this Tuesday to a different location like I explained above. Let see what happens :clap:

Awesome! Can't wait to hear the results.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat May 30, 2015 9:29 pm

Might just work Mike...

I have a friend who used to guide bears in the Drummund area (Not far from you) He only took a few hunters each year but 1 or two guys every year would shoot a big pig... I was shocked when I was talking to him one day and he said that most of the big bears were shot off of the bait. He said he would set up his guys down wind where the bears circled. He said that the reason he did not shoot more big bears was cause it was hard to talk clients into not hunting right over the bait...

Then when I hunted with you, I noticed a lot of the guys shoot the big bears right over the bait... Talking with you, guys in camp, and getting to see your set ups, its obvious to me that you put much more thought into your set ups than he did. His deal was to figure out how to kill the bear that was hitting his bait, yours was to tweak the ultimate set up.

I think a lot of what I have learned over the years about bears has come from not only my own hunting and scouting, but being in camps with some great bear hunters and seeing how they do it. A guy booking a hunt with a great bear hunter is really attending a hands on seminar if he is open minded. You gotta pick the right guide though... In Wisconsin anybody can get a guides license.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun May 31, 2015 2:16 am

Just discussed our new plan with my lead Guide Robert....he agrees with the plan. He also reminded me about the archery hunter who sat on this stand last year. The hunter told Robert the first night sitting this stand a big bear came in from behind him and cautiously walked away. After that first days hunt that probably explains (photos) the just after dark visits. The biggest bear wasn't that far away though, showing up 15 minutes after the bear hunter left. It also explains why some of those other big bears would not show up until way after dark.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:03 pm

POSTING FOR MIKE FOSS (SORRY FOR THE DELAY MIKE)
Chris Conroy
500 Club

Unread postby Chris Conroy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:10 pm

What are you brushing on the tree? Some sort of scent I suppose?

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:28 pm

Chris...Its Bacon Gel bear Scents...Dan posted the wrong pics but that's ok...we will get it straightened out. I put the Gel on this tree near a bear runway and then set the camera up. The next time I viewed the camera there was a 500lber on camera rubbing the tree. I also sent Dan a video of this bear I hope he can find it and post it for us.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:40 pm

Some interesting data. On May 21st my lead Guide Robert and I placed two baits stations. The first bait station we had to move from the its original spot "land owner request". Trail camera was also placed, it captured a picture of me leaving when all was done @ 10:58 AM. It didn't take very long for a nice bear to find that bait station, he appeared on camera 5 1/2 hours later 4:34 PM on the same day. Only took him 4 minutes to open up the bait.

Bait station # 2. Bait station was placed May 21st but was placed in the same spot as last year, Two bears appeared on camera the very next morning May 22nd at 5:09 AM but would not open the bait until almost an hour later 5:51 AM. I had these two bears on camera here last year, they are siblings, I am very surprised they are still hanging out together. And they are not the only ones, THE BIG BOY IS BACK and looking good.

Between the two Cameras that were set up I have about 1800 pictures.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:27 am

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:28 am

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:32 am

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:35 am

Mike Foss wrote:Just discussed our new plan with my lead Guide Robert....he agrees with the plan. He also reminded me about the archery hunter who sat on this stand last year. The hunter told Robert the first night sitting this stand a big bear came in from behind him and cautiously walked away. After that first days hunt that probably explains (photos) the just after dark visits. The biggest bear wasn't that far away though, showing up 15 minutes after the bear hunter left. It also explains why some of those other big bears would not show up until way after dark.

This is the bear or one of the bears we will be hunting, picture is from last year.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:38 am

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”