NWO Bear Camp

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: NWO Bear Camp

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:17 am

Blackhorn wrote:Nice bear Mountain Man.

Mike, do you try to get guys to pass on sows? We don't shoot them but it's probably a little easier to judge them when the bear is in the tree.

Im pretty good at judging them, and I was completely fooled by mine. I would bet its really difficult for new bear hunters hunting bait sites.

Blackhorn

Unread postby Blackhorn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:01 am

dan wrote:
Blackhorn wrote:Nice bear Mountain Man.

Mike, do you try to get guys to pass on sows? We don't shoot them but it's probably a little easier to judge them when the bear is in the tree.

Im pretty good at judging them, and I was completely fooled by mine. I would bet its really difficult for new bear hunters hunting bait sites.

I would agree.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:15 am

Mike how many hunters were in camp this year?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:35 am

[bbvideo=425,350]https://youtu.be/MjyGLRGlInM[/bbvideo]

This is a Sow....try telling a hunter he cant shoot this bear.
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:42 am

Mike Foss wrote:[bbvideo=425,350]https://youtu.be/MjyGLRGlInM[/bbvideo]

This is a Sow....try telling a hunter he cant shoot this bear.

You are right on, I don't think a guide should tell his hunter which bears he can and cannot shoot. But I also think guides can have a big impact by helping educate hunters on which bears are good to shoot and which ones are good to let go. If there were fewer sows shot each year, there would be more bear tags available and the wait between tags would be shorter.

You maybe already do this, but I would like to see more outfitters and guides help educate their hunters on how to tell the difference between a boar and a sow and select to shoot a boar whenever possible. It's very difficult to tell the difference at times, but a little education goes a long way.
Blackhorn

Unread postby Blackhorn » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:19 am

Bear hunting is more than just killing for us hound guys. We practice catch and release for 6 months. Hunting season is about 5% of our year. We put a 300 pound sow in a tree, we're walking away from it. We would rather keep our breeding stock around.

So obviously we have totally different situations. I realize going up to canada to pay an outfitter is a different story. I am for less tags in the areas I run.
psemikey

Unread postby psemikey » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:35 am

When it takes a WI hunter 6-8 yrs to draw a tag, how can you tell him to pass a legal bear of that size. Especially a first time hunter.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:46 am

The educational process I put the hunters through I guarantee no one else does more. I send pictures, videos, what to expect updates etc, this is why we shoot more above average bears than anyone else. Traditionally we shoot more bears on the 3rd day because they have passed up smaller bears hoping for a larger bear, by that 3rd day they are more than ready to fill there tag.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:52 am

Blackhorn wrote:Bear hunting is more than just killing for us hound guys. We practice catch and release for 6 months. Hunting season is about 5% of our year. We put a 300 pound sow in a tree, we're walking away from it. We would rather keep our breeding stock around.

So obviously we have totally different situations. I realize going up to canada to pay an outfitter is a different story. I am for less tags in the areas I run.

Isn't a big boar also part of the breeding stock? you take that boar out of the equation and you no longer have his genes being past.
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:55 am

Mike Foss wrote:The educational process I put the hunters through I guarantee no one else does more. I send pictures, videos, what to expect updates etc, this is why we shoot more above average bears than anyone else. Traditionally we shoot more bears on the 3rd day because they have passed up smaller bears hoping for a larger bear, by that 3rd day they are more than ready to fill there tag.

That's good to hear and more outfitters are doing this because they are starting to realize the importance of it for their business and for the overall view of bear hunting by the public. I would like to see more outfitters take the time to do this. The key to the future is education, not trying to control what bears hunter shoot.
Blackhorn

Unread postby Blackhorn » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:38 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Blackhorn wrote:Bear hunting is more than just killing for us hound guys. We practice catch and release for 6 months. Hunting season is about 5% of our year. We put a 300 pound sow in a tree, we're walking away from it. We would rather keep our breeding stock around.

Isn't a big boar also part of the breeding stock? you take that boar out of the equation and you no longer have his genes being past.

I don't care about genetics. I want numbers. I want to run and tree bears, let them come down and run them again. The people I run with are family and friends, we are all in it for the same reason. I have a tag this year. Doubt I use it. I'm not an outfitter, not looking to get paid. Sows produce cubs which I can run in a few years. Bears don't reproduce like deer, that's why we practice catch and release.

I understand why you guys do what you do, now you should understand why I do what I do.
Blackhorn

Unread postby Blackhorn » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:42 am

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:The educational process I put the hunters through I guarantee no one else does more. I send pictures, videos, what to expect updates etc, this is why we shoot more above average bears than anyone else. Traditionally we shoot more bears on the 3rd day because they have passed up smaller bears hoping for a larger bear, by that 3rd day they are more than ready to fill there tag.

That's good to hear and more outfitters are doing this because they are starting to realize the importance of it for their business and for the overall view of bear hunting by the public. I would like to see more outfitters take the time to do this. The key to the future is education, not trying to control what bears hunter shoot.

I don't care what you shoot when you go to an outfitter. I'm not a guide or an outfitter but when someone asks to ride along for a chance at a bear, they won't be shooting any sow with me. If they want to shoot a sow go pay an outfitter like you do and shoot what you want.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:08 am

Back to NWO Bear Camp.........

Mike are all your hunters done or do you have some coming back up again?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:05 am

"Post removed for rules violation"
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:12 am

Come on guys this thread is about NWO Bear Camp so please lets get back on track.

If you guys want to have a discussion about baiting vs hound hunting vs killing sows I suggest starting another thread as long as it stays respectful. This is not going to be allowed to continue as is so would appreciate your cooperation.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”