Lessons learned what I'll do different next time

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Lessons learned what I'll do different next time

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:58 pm

So now that I'm done bear hunting for this season I'm reflecting back on mistakes made and what I'll do different/ what I learned from this season. For those that don't know I had a couple encounters, one that I couldn't get turned on in time to shoot and one that spooked when the wind changed and my safety clicked while I was getting on him.
1. Bear baiting is a lot of work
2. I'm not gonna setup in an area that doesn't allow me to use obstacles to block circling
3. Keep the legal 3 baits going in case one goes cold
4. Take time off work to hunt so I can bait in the morning and choose stands according
5. Clear out trees for all wind directions to hunt with mobile set, avoid permanent sets and having only one tree/lane as an option
6. Get more cameras and cards so each bait is always monitored
7. Hunt the other nearby unit, I think it has more bears and less dog pressure
8. Practice shooting a rifle left handed (shouldn't matter if I use obstacles better next time)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Blackhorn

Re: Lessons learned what I'll do different next time

Unread postby Blackhorn » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:39 pm

Which unit are you in? You've still got time. I'll be catching bears all weekend. I can help for the next three days in red oak. The the next month in newberry.

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:13 pm

Blackhorn wrote:Which unit are you in? You've still got time. I'll be catching bears all weekend. I can help for the next three days in red oak. The the next month in newberry.

Thanks that's very nice of you my tag is in the gwinn unit though.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:49 pm

At least ya saw somethin :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:19 am

Thanks for posting. Better luck next time. I think hindsight advice like this is priceless for others.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:22 am

Sounded exciting even with out the kill. 8-) :clap:
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:35 am

Yeah it was a fun experience regardless of success; but next time I'd like to be standing over a bear.
9. Record wind direction daily and cross reference with access direction from pics and hunt accordingly. I thought he was accessing from the south only but I think he was really using a just off wind. Something I would have caught with more picture analysis

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:37 am

Another thing to is a friend of a friend guides in newberry unit so I'm gonna volunteer to help bait a bit next season to see how he sets up etc

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:22 am

5. Clear out trees for all wind directions to hunt with mobile set, avoid permanent sets and having only one tree/lane as an option

I would only set up one or two trees and never go beyond the bait... To me accessing the same all the time is important so the big bears don't freak out in scent where it was not before... I have seen a lot of baits go dead by moving a treestand, adding a trail cam just before hunting on the wrong side of the bait, or wandering around looking at the bear trails... There touchy beyond what most people think... Especially on new baits. Its easer for outfitters who have established bait sites that bears visit every year.
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:54 am

I second the notion about moving stands around, it can be a mistake. Bears have you patterned whether you like it or not. mature bears especially can simply go nocturnal and the slightest sign that something went haywire. I have seen bears get super edgy just because the hunter used a different scent or a honey burn on the first day of the hunt, something they haven't been doing while baiting. It can easily be enough to make them decide to sit that evening out altogether.

Also on bears circling to catch your wind, here's an important issue most people miss. Bears will often circle the bait site to check your ground scent and find out what time you came in to bait. If you have been baiting at noon and the bear comes at 7:00 he is accustomed to scent that is seven hours old. If you come in to hunt at 5:00 then suddenly your scent is only two hours old and he may leave. Anything different will cause a cagey bear to avoid committing to the bait site and can easily make them go nocturnal altogether.

I cover a lot of this type of thing in detail in my book and video The Bear Baiter's Manual and How to Bait Big Bears. http://www.bernieoutdoors.com/

I appreciate you sharing what you are learning with us, we are all still learning. The more I know about bears, the more I realize how much more there is to learn.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:04 pm

Since I have river frontage ,We have decided to only hunt along a river . It is very thick inside 50yds of the river and a bear might go between the river and my stand but I might catch him doing it too. They never seem to come from across the river and I dont think they like crossing it in the daytime cause it is so open. They sure like brush and it is thick along the river. I also never bothered hunting 2 stands. and I only had to sit out one night cause of wind direction.
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:23 pm

dan wrote:

I would only set up one or two trees and never go beyond the bait... To me accessing the same all the time is important so the big bears don't freak out in scent where it was not before... I have seen a lot of baits go dead by moving a treestand, adding a trail cam just before hunting on the wrong side of the bait, or wandering around looking at the bear trails... There touchy beyond what most people think... Especially on new baits. Its easer for outfitters who have established bait sites that bears visit every year.

Thanks for the input Dan. That makes sense. Based on that I'm thinking prep trees sw and nw of the bait for action coming from the east and vice versa for the west. I should've specified but I'll do all my tree prep and log cutting a month or so before baiting starts. Given the option of hanging and leaving a lock on would you do that over hang and hunt?

cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:32 pm

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:I second the notion about moving stands around, it can be a mistake. Bears have you patterned whether you like it or not. mature bears especially can simply go nocturnal and the slightest sign that something went haywire. I have seen bears get super edgy just because the hunter used a different scent or a honey burn on the first day of the hunt, something they haven't been doing while baiting. It can easily be enough to make them decide to sit that evening out altogether.

Also on bears circling to catch your wind, here's an important issue most people miss. Bears will often circle the bait site to check your ground scent and find out what time you came in to bait. If you have been baiting at noon and the bear comes at 7:00 he is accustomed to scent that is seven hours old. If you come in to hunt at 5:00 then suddenly your scent is only two hours old and he may leave. Anything different will cause a cagey bear to avoid committing to the bait site and can easily make them go nocturnal altogether.

I cover a lot of this type of thing in detail in my book and video The Bear Baiter's Manual and How to Bait Big Bears. http://www.bernieoutdoors.com/
I appreciate you sharing what you are learning with us, we are all still learning. The more I know about bears, the more I realize how much more there is to learn.

Thanks for the input I actually watched your video on YouTube the other day where you discussed this, makes sense. You've got a lot of good info on there. That book sounds like something I'd be interested in I'll have to check it out. I definitely learned from this experience I hunted our third period about 7 or 8 years ago but I didn't really analyze my hunts the way I've learned on here.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:52 am

Given the option of hanging and leaving a lock on would you do that over hang and hunt?
With bears, yes. I still hang and hunt a lot, but I prefer pre-set stands set when baiting starts and in spots I walk past while baiting rather than where I would be forced to walk out of the norm.
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:05 am

dan wrote:
Given the option of hanging and leaving a lock on would you do that over hang and hunt?
With bears, yes. I still hang and hunt a lot, but I prefer pre-set stands set when baiting starts and in spots I walk past while baiting rather than where I would be forced to walk out of the norm.

Do you typically hang your stand on the same path you walk on to bait?

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”