Black Bear Beds -VS- Buck Beds

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Black Bear Beds -VS- Buck Beds

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:14 am

I have been doing a lot of reading in an effort to expand my knowledge about black bear behavior and hunting and I ran across this website and it got me thinking; dangerous I know. :lol:

What parallels, if any, can be drawn between mature buck bedding and mature black bear bedding?

http://www.bear-tracker.com/blackbeardensandbeds.html

Thanks,

Bob

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Black Bear Beds -VS- Buck Beds

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:21 am

A lot of the best bear bedding I find is off of swamp points (provided they have adequate cover) just like bucks... I ran across a giant non-typical big woods whitetail a couple of seasons ago that showed on my camera on a bear bait... Almost got that buck.
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:50 am

dan wrote:A lot of the best bear bedding I find is off of swamp points (provided they have adequate cover) just like bucks... I ran across a giant non-typical big woods whitetail a couple of seasons ago that showed on my camera on a bear bait... Almost got that buck.

Did you try killing it that buck again this last season or is he no where to be found? That was an awesome thread to read!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:49 am

bigwoodshuntn wrote:
dan wrote:A lot of the best bear bedding I find is off of swamp points (provided they have adequate cover) just like bucks... I ran across a giant non-typical big woods whitetail a couple of seasons ago that showed on my camera on a bear bait... Almost got that buck.

Did you try killing it that buck again this last season or is he no where to be found? That was an awesome thread to read!

I hunted him, and it got exciting when a small one came out of one of his known beds... But he was unseen except one summer time trail cam pic. His rubline was unopened last I checked, but I do need to make a scouting trip up there to check if he showed up later.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks Dan. I will be on the lookout for them once we get rid of some of this snow.

Bob

Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:49 am

When I first started to scout for buck beds, I found awful lot bear beds like that. Being that I'm getting tired of the whole bear baiting thing. Hunting black bear beds may be a great way to take it up a notch. I'm also thinking about Trying to a Wisconsin spring black bear this year, if I can get the go ahead from my tribe.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:26 am

Findian wrote:When I first started to scout for buck beds, I found awful lot bear beds like that. Being that I'm getting tired of the whole bear baiting thing. Hunting black bear beds may be a great way to take it up a notch. I'm also thinking about Trying to a Wisconsin spring black bear this year, if I can get the go ahead from my tribe.

Thanks for the reply Findian. I was thinking the same. No baiting during the season and no dogs here so it's bedding to food hunting. Can't do a honey burn here either; it's considered baiting.

Bob

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:31 am

we tracked a bear dan wounded In Minnesota. we walked up on a well used bear bed right on the edge of the swamp
Last edited by BigHunt on Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:39 am

BigHunt wrote:we tracked a bear dan wounded I'm Minnesota. we walked up on a well used bear bed right on the edge of the swamp

That's what I am hoping to find once the snow is gone. It will give me some points to focus on come September.

Bob

Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Findian wrote:When I first started to scout for buck beds, I found awful lot bear beds like that. Being that I'm getting tired of the whole bear baiting thing. Hunting black bear beds may be a great way to take it up a notch. I'm also thinking about Trying to a Wisconsin spring black bear this year, if I can get the go ahead from my tribe.

Thanks for the reply Findian. I was thinking the same. No baiting during the season and no dogs here so it's bedding to food hunting. Can't do a honey burn here either; it's considered baiting.

Bob

Can you use scent?
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:39 am

bigwoodshuntn wrote:

How would I find that thread
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:46 am

swampyak wrote:
bigwoodshuntn wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30547&p=410548&hilit=bear+bait+buck#p410548

If you use the search function on the site, go to advanced search and for this one I searched bear bait buck and only searched for topics. It will ask you to put a + in front of words that must be in the title. So I did +bear +bait +buck and searched that. Pretty cool tool for finding old threads
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:48 am

swampyak wrote:
bigwoodshuntn wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30547&p=410548&hilit=Bear+bait+buck#p410548
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:49 am

Jonny wrote:
swampyak wrote:
bigwoodshuntn wrote:

If you use the search function on the site, go to advanced search and for this one I searched bear bait buck and only searched for topics. It will ask you to put a + in front of words that must be in the title. So I did +bear +bait +buck and searched that. Pretty cool tool for finding old threads

Beat me to it! :lol:
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:50 am

bigwoodshuntn wrote:
Jonny wrote:
swampyak wrote:
bigwoodshuntn wrote:

Beat me to it! :lol:

8-)
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”