WI zone C with hunt247365 2017

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Re: WI zone C with hunt247365 2017

Unread postby Bearman13 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:20 am

My God wisco has tanks for bears.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:49 am

Jim Wallner wrote:My God wisco has tanks for bears.

:lol: It's pretty nice over here in the land of 15,000 lakes.

Gotta admit though. Hunt247365 is on point this year. I'm following about 20 different DIY hunters in Zone C and his overall quality is close to the best if not the best. I like his tenacity. I hope he scores big in September
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:05 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:

Gotta admit though. Hunt247365 is on point this year. I'm following about 20 different DIY hunters in Zone C and his overall quality is close to the best if not the best. I like his tenacity. I hope he scores big in September

I remember Hunt247365 trail cam pics 2 years ago, He's obviously a great bear Hunter.

3 years ago my young guide said he thought that zone C in WI is the hardest place to kill a bear.

I don't know, I think it depends
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:55 am

john1984 wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

I remember Hunt247365 trail cam pics 2 years ago, He's obviously a great bear Hunter.

3 years ago my young guide said he thought that zone C in WI is the hardest place to kill a bear.

I have to agree with your young bear guide here. If I was able to get a bear tag every 2 years in Zones A, B, or D I would apply there. Outside the Central Forest Zone, the amount of quality habitat just isn't there and pressure on the limited public that does can be an issue in many areas to a point that quality has suffered. I actually shifted areas this year for that reason. The quality has gone down big time. Same observed by many of my hunting buddies including legacy beast member PLB. The central forest is primo though and there are hot pockets throughout the state if you do your homework.

The draw frequency is the main reason why I consider zone C. I don't want to wait 5+ years for a tag; northern MN baiting is too much of a time commitment these days with my kids, my wife's work schedule, and vacation; and I have absolutely no desire to hunt through a guide unless I need to payoff a guide for a DIY in Canada. The other reason for Zone C is close to home. I live in Northern WI. Its a relatively short time commitment to get a big bears. It has been a give and take from leaving southern WI. I left behind the abundance of big bucks and picked up an abundance of big bears. I still travel for big bucks. :lol:
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:06 pm

Yeah I moved from south central MN to WI in 02.

I don't make a ton of money, but just so happens I live right next to the Central Forest Zone, thank you God: )
Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:01 pm

john1984 wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

I would say I agree and disagree at the same time with your guide. I feel if you do your homework (lots of time looking at GIS maps) and willing to put a few mi on the truck you can have just as good of odds once season opens then most areas. The hardest part is sorting through the areas that are low quality areas vs great quality areas. What I have found my best spots have 3 things all in common and are the spots that I will have 7-10 different bears hit the bait (not all regularly) from July-season opening. Were the spots I bait/have baited that have things missing that I look for do have bears but are the spots that go cold or only have 1-3 bears. There are just way more spots like that in zone C. Bottom line if you want the best odds you just have to work harder in Zone C but more times then not you will be rewarded.

I still have a ton to learn and owe a lot of what I have learned from post from Dan, Jim and Bass to name a few. Read a lot of their post before ever joining here. Also have a local guy that I know well who I have picked his brain a ton. Also have taken notes from guys I know who have had terrible luck on what to do diffrent from them.

The bear hunting bug got me 7yrs ago when I went on my first bear hunt and have been sick ever since.
Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Ran baits again today and had 4 out of 5 hit. The only one that didn't get a hit was the big field bait that I just set on Tue.

The Skeeter site had 4 bears on the bait. One real small one 75lb maybe and he spent a lot of time there over the past 3 days. He was the first bear to hit the bait when I started this year. The other bears consisted of 1 decent bear, 1 average looking size bear and a sow with cubs showed up for the first time.

The Trout Pond site only had one bear on it since Tue but it was the big guy which is good to see. This spot the coons are getting to become crazy in numbers and looks like they are digging under the stump and robbing a lot of bait before it gets hit. Thinking I will have to bring in the small shovle with me next time in and put the stumps in the ground a little bit.

The Fountain of Youth site had a increase in action with 4 bears and a good one walking through this morning. Will have to get a 2nd log back there as this spot is def starting to look like its going to be worth the effort. Only have one stump there now that only holds 5gal. Did go with all twinkies on Tue here and the bears seemed to like them a lot.

The Tick site seen 3 maybe 4 bears over the last 3 days. One very nice looking bear and one about average size and 1 or 2 smaller ones.

Here are some of the better picsImageIMG_0316 by Casey O'Keefe, on Flickr
ImageMFDC0104 by Casey O'Keefe, on FlickrImageSTC_0039 by Casey O'Keefe, on Flickr
Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:20 pm

Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:23 pm

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Trout pond boar is a tank. His belly will be dragging by September. :mrgreen:
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:17 am

Hunt247365 wrote:
john1984 wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

I would say I agree and disagree at the same time with your guide. I feel if you do your homework (lots of time looking at GIS maps) and willing to put a few mi on the truck you can have just as good of odds once season opens then most areas. The hardest part is sorting through the areas that are low quality areas vs great quality areas. What I have found my best spots have 3 things all in common and are the spots that I will have 7-10 different bears hit the bait (not all regularly) from July-season opening. Were the spots I bait/have baited that have things missing that I look for do have bears but are the spots that go cold or only have 1-3 bears. There are just way more spots like that in zone C. Bottom line if you want the best odds you just have to work harder in Zone C but more times then not you will be rewarded.
I still have a ton to learn and owe a lot of what I have learned from post from Dan, Jim and Bass to name a few. Read a lot of their post before ever joining here. Also have a local guy that I know well who I have picked his brain a ton. Also have taken notes from guys I know who have had terrible luck on what to do diffrent from them.

The bear hunting bug got me 7yrs ago when I went on my first bear hunt and have been sick ever since.

I totally agree. Being able to draw a tag more frequently you have a chance to learn by trial and error in zone C. If I was to live in Zone C and bear hunt I would have at least 6-8 baits. It will be interesting how your baits will do once the breeding season is over and more importantly how they do when the majority of the bear hunters start baiting in August. I haven't bear hunted since 2006 but all this talk is bringing the beast out of me, lately, I'm getting the itch to kill a bear! :D
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:12 am

I totally agree. Being able to draw a tag more frequently you have a chance to learn by trial and error in zone C. If I was to live in Zone C and bear hunt I would have at least 6-8 baits. It will be interesting how your baits will do once the breeding season is over and more importantly how they do when the majority of the bear hunters start baiting in August. I haven't bear hunted since 2006 but all this talk is bringing the beast out of me, lately, I'm getting the itch to kill a bear!

When I look at the bait pictures the terrain looks way to open to me... It could just be the way the pics show up, or that your in terrain that is open next to thick cover? Im not nocking it, but it will be interesting to see if the big bears keep coming in during daylight towards season. Im putting my baits in or against thick cover where bears can whole up and move only a short distance. I can get bears to hit any bait any where this time of year, but closer to the season is the test.

Some of my baits look open on the pictures, but are pressed up against thick cover, or are in the only open spot in cover. I prefer the edge so bears come from the expected direction. I noticed when hunting with Moke foss he was near good bear cover like my sets, but a little more into the open than mine, and he was having no problem (obviously) pulling the bears to his baits. I think we have an advantage in Wisconson cause we can bait so long we can get bears used to going to a spot over time. Harder to do in areas like Minnesota where you have 3 weeks before hunting to bait.

The baits I have had in Wisconsin that where in more open areas away from real thick bedding cover always did real well in June and july but started fading out in mid August into September.
Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:16 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Hunt247365 wrote:
john1984 wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

I totally agree. Being able to draw a tag more frequently you have a chance to learn by trial and error in zone C. If I was to live in Zone C and bear hunt I would have at least 6-8 baits. It will be interesting how your baits will do once the breeding season is over and more importantly how they do when the majority of the bear hunters start baiting in August. I haven't bear hunted since 2006 but all this talk is bringing the beast out of me, lately, I'm getting the itch to kill a bear! :D

Will see how they do. I am very confident in the Skeeter, Tick and lake sites. Those sites over the past 2yrs have stayed strong and even had more bears in Aug and Sept then in June and July.

The the trout pond site is one I have very high hopes for this year. The first year this bait stayed hot right tell the third week of Aug when it went cold. Found out a guy moved in and set a bait only 30yds from mine and was coming in to bait after 6pm and he said he started baiting 3 weeks before season started right when our bait died....put two and two together and he messed us up. Now last year no one messed it up and was getting hammered well into Sept in tell I finally got someone to sit on the bait. My cousin messed up on a nice 275-300+lb bear after just one hr on the stand. Its a very very small patch of public that has only room for one bait. If no one moves in on me this site will def produce a bear.

The fountain of youth site is a new site so no idea how this site will pan out in the long run and along with the big field site. The youth site does have all the things I like for a site though.

The beaver site has had good action over the past 2 years as well. Not as good as the skeeter, lake and tick but a spot I would feel good odds of getting a poke at one.

Also trying a couple more new spots yet.
Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:30 am

dan wrote:

I totally agree. Being able to draw a tag more frequently you have a chance to learn by trial and error in zone C. If I was to live in Zone C and bear hunt I would have at least 6-8 baits. It will be interesting how your baits will do once the breeding season is over and more importantly how they do when the majority of the bear hunters start baiting in August. I haven't bear hunted since 2006 but all this talk is bringing the beast out of me, lately, I'm getting the itch to kill a bear!

When I look at the bait pictures the terrain looks way to open to me... It could just be the way the pics show up, or that your in terrain that is open next to thick cover? Im not nocking it, but it will be interesting to see if the big bears keep coming in during daylight towards season. Im putting my baits in or against thick cover where bears can whole up and move only a short distance. I can get bears to hit any bait any where this time of year, but closer to the season is the test.

Some of my baits look open on the pictures, but are pressed up against thick cover, or are in the only open spot in cover. I prefer the edge so bears come from the expected direction. I noticed when hunting with Moke foss he was near good bear cover like my sets, but a little more into the open than mine, and he was having no problem (obviously) pulling the bears to his baits. I think we have an advantage in Wisconson cause we can bait so long we can get bears used to going to a spot over time. Harder to do in areas like Minnesota where you have 3 weeks before hunting to bait.

The baits I have had in Wisconsin that where in more open areas away from real thick bedding cover always did real well in June and july but started fading out in mid August into September.

Its just the way the cams are facing. All my sites are either in a small opening surrounded by thick cover or right on the edge of thick cover. A large number of my baits are set right where a thick bog, cedar swamp and aspen wipes all meet and have open hard woods on one side. If you used my stand site as the center point my stands have 25% aspen wipes, 25% bog, 25% cedar swamp and 25% hard woods around them.That is most of my sites not all.
Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:43 am

dan wrote:

I agree with you dan that in June and July can get bears in real open cover but those baits die come Aug. Have had a number of those over the past 2 yrs and def have leaened from those sites....dont waste my time. The trout pond site you can see the hill right behind the bait. That hill drops right into a thick nasty bog. We trailed the bear my cousin messed up on into there last year and as soon as you get in there there is bear beds, crap and trails all over.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”