2017 Bear Hunt - BassBoysLLP

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swampyak
500 Club

Re: 2017 Bear Hunt - BassBoysLLP

Unread postby swampyak » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:07 am

hunter_mike wrote:Dang turdbags. I hate thieves.

X2

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:26 am

swampyak wrote:
hunter_mike wrote:Dang turdbags. I hate thieves.

X2

Bummer. Was the stolen cam up high?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:33 am

No. About as safe as you can get though. Bear Box cabled to the tree.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:45 am

Competition on public land went up significantly this weekend. The 4th of July is typically a time when many guys begin thinking about hunting in general. Also, the dog training season in Zone C begins next Saturday. Most of baits that showed up this week fall into one category: Least amount of work as possible. All baits were 5 to 100 yards from a trail or road, on dry upland, and accessible by truck.

While no pressure from other hunters is awesome, it's an unrealistic expectation on public ground. I also like to think that there is a subtle benefit of having other baiters in the area. The 10 gallon bait limit isn't a lot. By having more baits in the area, you not only do you have more quality food on a consistent basis, you also have an avenue for the younger satellite boars. I like to think bear bedding is very similar to mature whitetail buck bedding and the best bears get the best bedding next to a preferred food source. While these upland setups are thick with undergrowth now and will see bear activity, I always like my setups to also be dark and near water.

This is an example of a good bear bed. It's really more of a wallow.

Any water is great, but I prefer swamps where there is active drainage of groundwater. Not only does this ensure a constant supply of water, but the water is cooler. This results in a cooler local air temperature as well as cool water to wallow in when the temperatures climb in August. The best time to locate these areas is in early spring / winter when the ground is still is frozen and these will remain areas of open water.
Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:57 pm

That really sucks about the cam. One thing that I have noticed is that it seems very very few guys go more then 1/4mi from a rd or parking area with most falling in the 1/8mi area. Your right about no pressure being great but looking for bigger blocks and a willing to work harder can still get you back and away from 90+% of other guys I think. A number of my baits are a 1-1.25mi in and last year a couple of those spots pick up with action once season opend and I think that was do to the action of people in and out up front. The sad thing is there is a ton of public land in C and if guys would do a little work to where it all is there is no reason to be on top of one another but again that would take a little effort.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:09 pm

Hunt247365 wrote:That really sucks about the cam. One thing that I have noticed is that it seems very very few guys go more then 1/4mi from a rd or parking area with most falling in the 1/8mi area. Your right about no pressure being great but looking for bigger blocks and a willing to work harder can still get you back and away from 90+% of other guys I think. A number of my baits are a 1-1.25mi in and last year a couple of those spots pick up with action once season opend and I think that was do to the action of people in and out up front. The sad thing is there is a ton of public land in C and if guys would do a little work to where it all is there is no reason to be on top of one another but again that would take a little effort.

For sure. I've revealed my pack distance to a couple local guides and they all think I'm nuts. Too much time, too much energy, how are you going to get that bear out. Well the last one we'll think about later. :mrgreen:
Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:50 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Hunt247365 wrote:That really sucks about the cam. One thing that I have noticed is that it seems very very few guys go more then 1/4mi from a rd or parking area with most falling in the 1/8mi area. Your right about no pressure being great but looking for bigger blocks and a willing to work harder can still get you back and away from 90+% of other guys I think. A number of my baits are a 1-1.25mi in and last year a couple of those spots pick up with action once season opend and I think that was do to the action of people in and out up front. The sad thing is there is a ton of public land in C and if guys would do a little work to where it all is there is no reason to be on top of one another but again that would take a little effort.

For sure. I've revealed my pack distance to a couple local guides and they all think I'm nuts. Too much time, too much energy, how are you going to get that bear out. Well the last one we'll think about later. :mrgreen:

Thats funny same here. Have even ran into DNR workers a ways back clearing trees off the lane and they thought I was crazy...granted they may not be wrong. Im not worried about getting a bear out as I have that part figured out. Just depends on the size of bear how hard I will have to work and how late I will be out in the woods.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:21 am

Bummer on the cam. Are you giving up on that spot too now?
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:26 am

stash59 wrote:Bummer on the cam. Are you giving up on that spot too now?

Not yet but I'm definitely considering it. I have a couple backup spots in mind. I just need to move a stump.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:14 am

Hunt247365 wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

Thats funny same here. Have even ran into DNR workers a ways back clearing trees off the lane and they thought I was crazy...granted they may not be wrong. Im not worried about getting a bear out as I have that part figured out. Just depends on the size of bear how hard I will have to work and how late I will be out in the woods.

Very true. I always figured I could piece it out last resort. A big bear divided into 5ths isnt that bad.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:40 pm

I see the same thing by me. Lots of public land, and all the bear hunters hunt the same 50' on the sides of the forest roads. Know of at least a dozen bear baits that were used in the last year or two that I could see from the road in september.

I ran into one group of somewhat serious bear hunters. They had zero issues tagging out the last couple of years. No monsters, but tagging out day one isn't too shabby
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:08 am

Today took a turn for the better. My oldest son (4) was out of daycare this afternoon with a stomach bug so I ended up filling out the rest of my work day from the kitchen table while he toughed it out on the couch. Afterwards I asked him if there was anything he wanted to do to make him feel better. He said: "Lets look for bears!" So we did!

So we hopped in the truck and hit up a spot I've been meaning to bait for quite some time...a small point that extends into a thick creek bottom filled with berries. The bear sign was good. Lots of poop and tracks. I think we'll have to re-locate the hill country stump this weekend... :mrgreen:
Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:23 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Today took a turn for the better. My oldest son (4) was out of daycare this afternoon with a stomach bug so I ended up filling out the rest of my work day from the kitchen table while he toughed it out on the couch. Afterwards I asked him if there was anything he wanted to do to make him feel better. He said: "Lets look for bears!" So we did!

So we hopped in the truck and hit up a spot I've been meaning to bait for quite some time...a small point that extends into a thick creek bottom filled with berries. The bear sign was good. Lots of poop and tracks. I think we'll have to re-locate the hill country stump this weekend... :mrgreen:

Thats awsome! You definitely have him going in the right direction and a soon to be bait hauler.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:26 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:No. About as safe as you can get though. Bear Box cabled to the tree.

Bass....that's not the first time that guy was at your bait....a guy just doesn't walk around the woods with the correct tools to take a bear box cabled to a tree. Sorry that happened to you.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:08 am

Yes. I only see headache if I continue. My plan is to decommission that station and relocate the stump this weekend to a new berry good looking spot this weekend.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”