2017 Bear Hunt - BassBoysLLP

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

2017 Bear Hunt - BassBoysLLP

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed May 31, 2017 7:23 am

My baiting season has finally begun after a month away from home working overseas. I'm running 4 baits this year across three counties in Zone C. Activity has been good overall especially on one bait where I have 4 different sows and cubs visiting along with plenty of horny boars. This year brings a couple unique challenges different than years past.

First, this will be my first traditional archery hunt for bear. I've actually committed to hanging up the wheels for the 2017 deer season as well. Not a big change as I was raised shooting instinctive, but a change regardless. It is a breath of fresh air.

Second, if I can get the setup to work, I'm hoping to kill from the ground. This is by far the biggest challenge. In addition to the inherent challenges of hunting from the ground, I've quickly realized that many classic setups simply don't work well from the ground. Scent and thermal management needs to be on point or it will never work.

This thread will document the setups, baiting, and the final hunt.

Jackson Marsh

Re: 2017 Bear Hunt - BassBoysLLP

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed May 31, 2017 7:26 am

8-)

Good luck bass.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed May 31, 2017 8:05 am

8-)
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed May 31, 2017 8:12 am

This should be a good thread to follow! 8-) Love to see some maps or sketches that don't give your spots away, but show your set ups, access and such, and see how it pans out. 8-)
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:01 pm

Very cool Bass.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Wed May 31, 2017 1:21 pm

Good luck man! Looking forward to your season progress!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed May 31, 2017 2:31 pm

Site #1

Legend

Dark Green = Swamp/Coniferous
Medium Green = Upland/Deciduous
Light Green = Open pockets in timber / Frost Pocket / Smaller Trees
Maroon = Elevation Contours
Red Star = Bait Site
Black Square = Stand Site
Blue = Wind/Thermals
Orange = Bear Travel
Pink = Accesss

SW Wind Hunt -

In my opinion, this is the most favorable condition to kill a good bear in this spot. SW is very common on opening day. The two pockets provide a strategic advantage. Wind passing over these areas creates a small reduction in pressure resulting in scent pooling in these areas from the surrounding areas, but I expect bears to use only the first pocket in this case. Bears (like many predators and prey) utilize these edges to give themselves a better understanding of their surroundings as it sucks scent from 360 degrees even from the downwind side to some degree. The scent stream from the bait site is pulled into the northern most pocket during the SW wind and the bear will likely stage on this edge before finally approaching and scenting my access trail. The adjacent pocket SE of the other pocket pulls my scent in the opposite direction.

W Wind Hunt -

This hunt is a little dicey. If he simply gets downwind of the baitand walks in, I have him. If he scent checks the southern most pocket, there is a decent chance he catches my scent from the vacuum of the pocket. I like this one with a bit of a north flavor especially at dusk. The swamp thermals will provide a slight curve ball with my scent stream. I rely on thermal curve balls a lot but this one will be bad.

NW Wind Hunt

This is a favorable wind but I don't expect a bear to show up before dark, He will likely stage at both pockets plus downwind of the bait before committing to the bait. Regardless, my access and scent is favorable and it will allow me to hunt it with minimal impact.

Last edited by BassBoysLLP on Wed May 31, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed May 31, 2017 2:39 pm

Cool stuff Bass!!! I'll be following.

Good luck!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed May 31, 2017 2:42 pm

Intresting observation on the swerling affect on your map! I noticed this last year on my bait and Johns bait.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed May 31, 2017 3:00 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Site #1

Legend

Dark Green = Swamp/Coniferous
Medium Green = Upland/Deciduous
Light Green = Open pockets in timber / Frost Pocket / Smaller Trees
Maroon = Elevation Contours
Red Star = Bait Site
Black Square = Stand Site
Blue = Wind/Thermals
Orange = Bear Travel
Pink = Accesss

SW Wind Hunt -

In my opinion, this is the most favorable condition to kill a good bear in this spot. SW is very common on opening day. The two pockets provide a strategic advantage. Wind passing over these areas creates a small reduction in pressure resulting in scent pooling in these areas from the surrounding areas, but I expect bears to use only the first pocket in this case. Bears (like many predators and prey) utilize these edges to give themselves a better understanding of their surroundings as it sucks scent from 360 degrees even from the downwind side to some degree. The scent stream from the bait site is pulled into the northern most pocket during the SW wind and the bear will likely stage on this edge before finally approaching and scenting my access trail. The adjacent pocket SE of the other pocket pulls my scent in the opposite direction.

W Wind Hunt -

This hunt is a little dicey. If he simply gets downwind of the baitand walks in, I have him. If he scent checks the southern most pocket, there is a decent chance he catches my scent from the vacuum of the pocket. I like this one with a bit of a north flavor especially at dusk. The swamp thermals will provide a slight curve ball with my scent stream. I rely on thermal curve balls a lot but this one will be bad.

NW Wind Hunt

This is a favorable wind but I don't expect a bear to show up before dark, He will likely stage at both pockets plus downwind of the bait before committing to the bait. Regardless, my access and scent is favorable and it will allow me to hunt it with minimal impact.

Straight south? Likely busted hunt

Southeast or East? Swamp thermal puts a curve ball into my scent stream and I'm busted before a shot opportunity.

Northeast? Maybe. It's likely a strong wind but it may cut close to shooting hours.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed May 31, 2017 10:12 pm

Good luck bass 8-) this is gonna be good
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:48 am

Looking forward to seeing that bloody CH sitting on top of a nice bear! Good luck!

Are you avoiding stands because of the length of the trad bows in a stand or just want to take one from the ground?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:31 am

moog5050 wrote:Looking forward to seeing that bloody CH sitting on top of a nice bear! Good luck!

Are you avoiding stands because of the length of the trad bows in a stand or just want to take one from the ground?

Just the challenge and adrenaline rush. I have no issues with tree stands and may default to one if circumstances rule out hunting from the ground. That is one of the great benefits of SR limbs. They are very hunter friendly. :D
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Good luck. I used to have some spots that we were successful when we hunted from the ground but not from a stand. We would set on a river bank and put the bait inland
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:00 pm

swampyak wrote:Good luck. I used to have some spots that we were successful when we hunted from the ground but not from a stand. We would set on a river bank and put the bait inland

That is actually one of my setups. I'm standing in a deep bank of a trout stream. Thank you for the vote of confidence.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”