Bear Bait Near Major Food Source

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Bear Bait Near Major Food Source

Unread postby cedarsavage » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:00 am

Is bait effective near a huge food source? The food source is probably 100 acres of wild blueberries. I'm thinking of setting up on the edge a huge swamp nearby. Will they care about 5 gallons of jelly when they have acres of berries?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bear Bait Near Major Food Source

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:15 am

cedarsavage wrote:Is bait effective near a huge food source? The food source is probably 100 acres of wild blueberries. I'm thinking of setting up on the edge a huge swamp nearby. Will they care about 5 gallons of jelly when they have acres of berries?

They will definatly hit bait near food... But, I think I would use more than just jelly for bait.
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:08 am

dan wrote:
cedarsavage wrote:Is bait effective near a huge food source? The food source is probably 100 acres of wild blueberries. I'm thinking of setting up on the edge a huge swamp nearby. Will they care about 5 gallons of jelly when they have acres of berries?

They will definatly hit bait near food... But, I think I would use more than just jelly for bait.

I guess I was kinda generally speaking. But I used mainly factory reject pie filling last time around. Would you use more variety?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:13 am

cedarsavage wrote:
dan wrote:

I guess I was kinda generally speaking. But I used mainly factory reject pie filling last time around. Would you use more variety?

I mix pie filling into my baits and its one of the last things they tend to eat most of the time. Ive poured 5 gallon buckets of pie filling over baits in Minnesota and have come back to find the logs moved still having the pie filling on them and all the bait gone... We have had some bears like it, bot more when its mixed with other good baits. Variety is always best.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:02 am

Variety is always good. It seems like meat/fat works well around berries
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Variety is good I used to put cookies along with granola in my stump at same time certain spots they liked cookies more then granola and others they like granola more.. I've always tried to run my baits around natural food as well
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Being near water is more important than being near a natural food source.
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:45 am

If I get a tag it'll be late September. I'm thinking berries will mostly be gone by then and bait might be more important

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”