Bear hunting tactics

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bear hunting tactics

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Mike Foss wrote:I have said this before, all bears are not the same, what happens here in Wisconsin or in other areas of the country can be totally different. When I went to Canada the wind direction didn't matter, bears came in from all directions, when they hit our scent they would just pause for a short time and come in. I don't know if its the lack of interactions with humans that make them so bold and unafraid. I was amazed at how different things were done :shock: . The lack of detail was a head scratcher but everyone shot bears and big ones at that. As a guide, that didn't carry over to the way I do things. Here in Wisconsin the smallest of details are what kill big mature bears, there interactions with humans most likely on a daily basis is what gives them the human fear factor. I have made hunters sit in camp because the wind direction was wrong for that day, and when they did hunt they were well rewarded.

When booking a hunt, call the outfitter, drill him with questions, one of the biggest mistakes bear hunters make is they don't ask the appropriate questions, most rely on there buddies when booking the hunt (he said/she said)....in my book when a hunter calls me there is no such thing as dumb questions and I can talk bears for hours. I as well, as a guide, can get a good feel on that particular hunter on what he wants and expects. When booking a hunt, do your homework so there's no surprises and trust your guide, they have been doing this longer than you.

Its funny what you said about Canada being different, Certainly not disagreeing with you, I have never hunted Canada, but I always figured circling baits was just as much to know what rival bears were at the bait as to see if danger was there... I see big differences just Wisconsin to Minnesota. I think a lot of that has to do with Wisconsin baiting all year and Minnesota starting 3 weeks before season. Last year when I shot my bear in Minnesota I had 3 bears come in to that bait before my shooter on the same evening. Each one circled and the wind was blowing from the assumed bear bedding area and each bear checked the wind coming out of there blowing toward the bait, got nervous and left. The last one came walking into the bait fast and kind of care free till he hit that wind stream, then turned and stared into the wind towards where the big bear always approached from and then crashed off as hard as if he was shot. Minutes later the shooter came walking in wind to back, not circling, care free and I shot it.

I totally agree with you about calling the outfitter and talking with him, have questions prepared. Nothing worse than expecting something and its not that way. Both you and the guide will be happier if your on the same page.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:15 pm

Jim Wallner wrote:The bears might not smell you up in the tree cause the wind is right. But, rest assured they now where your stand is and if your in it. Why do you think when they walk in they look right up at the tree your in? I always have atleast two trees sometimes more where every year and can switch the stand locations. They will look to see if that stand is empty even with a good wind.

I have found that if we try and play the wind here we would sit home most every day. It switches to much or it dies down at sunset anyway. When I set a baitci try to take the prevailing winds in account. Mostly on looking for the spot on the spot and if I can use something to keep the bear from circling.

Nothing is fool proof. The bears always know something is up regardless of wind. Movement in a stand can screw you more then most guys think. Many times I've seen when I've hunted bears laid up watching the bait and stand tree and seeing movement and turning and leaving. The inexperienced person wouldn't even know a bear was near.

I usually put my stand(s) up along the entrance trail to combat that. I also have multiple trees picked out for exact winds. I walk a wrought to the bait that purposefully takes me past each kill tree on my way to the bait each time. Kind of hard to do when your guiding though. Im sure most hunter clients wand pre-set stands with clear shooting lanes. The bear John shot last year (a young 110/120 pound boar) definitely circled him, and smelled him, and saw him in the tree, and still came in... Im sure that happens a lot with the young bears.
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:05 pm

Bears use the wind, most of the time, and they will react to human scent in different ways. In remote areas of Canada outfitters get away with ignoring the wind because the bears are unpressured and they have plenty of them. Bears are individuals and some react to human scent more than others.

Bears do get educated and bigger bears can go nocturnal even in remote areas but it's more common in pressured areas. A lot of people think the bear did not see or smell you because he did not leave when he looked at you or crossed your scent stream. Bears are apex predators and they do not need to bolt each time they encounter a human like a deer would. that's the real difference. We tend to expect them to react like deer but they do not.

Congrats on a nice bear.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:25 am

dan wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:I have said this before, all bears are not the same, what happens here in Wisconsin or in other areas of the country can be totally different. When I went to Canada the wind direction didn't matter, bears came in from all directions, when they hit our scent they would just pause for a short time and come in. I don't know if its the lack of interactions with humans that make them so bold and unafraid. I was amazed at how different things were done :shock: . The lack of detail was a head scratcher but everyone shot bears and big ones at that. As a guide, that didn't carry over to the way I do things. Here in Wisconsin the smallest of details are what kill big mature bears, there interactions with humans most likely on a daily basis is what gives them the human fear factor. I have made hunters sit in camp because the wind direction was wrong for that day, and when they did hunt they were well rewarded.

When booking a hunt, call the outfitter, drill him with questions, one of the biggest mistakes bear hunters make is they don't ask the appropriate questions, most rely on there buddies when booking the hunt (he said/she said)....in my book when a hunter calls me there is no such thing as dumb questions and I can talk bears for hours. I as well, as a guide, can get a good feel on that particular hunter on what he wants and expects. When booking a hunt, do your homework so there's no surprises and trust your guide, they have been doing this longer than you.

Its funny what you said about Canada being different, Certainly not disagreeing with you, I have never hunted Canada, but I always figured circling baits was just as much to know what rival bears were at the bait as to see if danger was there... I see big differences just Wisconsin to Minnesota. I think a lot of that has to do with Wisconsin baiting all year and Minnesota starting 3 weeks before season. Last year when I shot my bear in Minnesota I had 3 bears come in to that bait before my shooter on the same evening. Each one circled and the wind was blowing from the assumed bear bedding area and each bear checked the wind coming out of there blowing toward the bait, got nervous and left. The last one came walking into the bait fast and kind of care free till he hit that wind stream, then turned and stared into the wind towards where the big bear always approached from and then crashed off as hard as if he was shot. Minutes later the shooter came walking in wind to back, not circling, care free and I shot it.

I totally agree with you about calling the outfitter and talking with him, have questions prepared. Nothing worse than expecting something and its not that way. Both you and the guide will be happier if your on the same page.

Dan, some day I hope you get a chance to experience a Canadian bear hunt, its different. The bears none caring attitude has everything to do with low human/bear interactions. Same as with the deer hunting in Canada over bait, big mature bucks shot over bait on a consistent basis up there but in Wisconsin, chances are your just wasting your precious hunting time for that boomer to come strolling in (to much human pressure).
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:25 am

Mike Foss wrote:
dan wrote:

Dan, some day I hope you get a chance to experience a Canadian bear hunt, its different. The bears none caring attitude has everything to do with low human/bear interactions. Same as with the deer hunting in Canada over bait, big mature bucks shot over bait on a consistent basis up there but in Wisconsin, chances are your just wasting your precious hunting time for that boomer to come strolling in (to much human pressure).

Mike -- thanks for chiming in. The guides basically said the same thing. Maine bears do not react the same way to baits as the Canada bears. These guys guiding in Maine say bears come in last light. 2016 in Canada, bears were showing up 3pm on. But the weather was warm and sunny. This year, all bears I saw, earliest they showed was 7:45 pm.

Had a young bear show up first 2 nights. Very nervous. Bear would come in, feed for a couple minutes and leave. Never got another bear on that bait besides the small one. The bear I killed, came in and owned the place. Older bear.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:50 am

We shot 6 bears last year before 4pm, the first one we killed are noon. I also always try and set my stands so I walk past them on the way to bait the site. If you do this you better be certain to some extent where that bear is gonna come from. Nothing more frustrating setting up a bait and having bears stroll past your set every day.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:48 am

Jim Wallner wrote:We shot 6 bears last year before 4pm, the first one we killed are noon. I also always try and set my stands so I walk past them on the way to bait the site. If you do this you better be certain to some extent where that bear is gonna come from. Nothing more frustrating setting up a bait and having bears stroll past your set every day.

Yep... I think I got a pretty good grasp on that on most of my sets. A few of the sets occasionally get back door visitors but not often. My 1st sit last year had one come in from in front of me slightly to my right and circle all the way around the bait in 3/4 of a circle down wind and end up behind me... I could of still shot him. But didn't. He wasn't a little rat, but wasn't huge either. He was ultra paranoid, but that bait had been getting pounded then nothing for 2 days prior and I found human ( probably those hippies :lol: ) footprints and a stick over my trail (presumably to see if I came back) prior to that bear coming in. They sure are smart critters.
I usually approach my baits from hardwoods and head down hill to thick swamp edge. I am either in the swamp or extremely close. Bears mainly come from the swamp. The hard part comes when there are several swamps close by. Then you start getting more multiple directions. Putting your back against an opening or a water body like a beaver pond or river helps make bears come from expected directions too...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:54 am

Jim Wallner wrote:We shot 6 bears last year before 4pm, the first one we killed are noon. I also always try and set my stands so I walk past them on the way to bait the site. If you do this you better be certain to some extent where that bear is gonna come from. Nothing more frustrating setting up a bait and having bears stroll past your set every day.

And also, pertaining to your early kills... Our cameras were showing hits all day long last season. A lot more than usual. We did not go in till noon expecting that to be the least likely time to bump a bear off the bait. But we had those early hits too... Hunting seems to be getting a lot better up by you since they cut back on the tags.
I love bear camp with the guys, but I wouldn't mind trying to get one of those left over tags and hunting in your camp once or twice to see how you do things. Im surprised more Beast members are not hunting with you... Anybody from the beast been at your camp yet?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:12 am

What is the success rate hunting fall bears in Canada? Sounds high
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:57 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:What is the success rate hunting fall bears in Canada? Sounds high

In our camp, 5 guys killed bears out of 7. No misses. No wounds.

100# bear
118# bear
134# bear
165# bear
220# bear

1 guy passed the 165# bear, looking for something bigger. 1 guy never saw a single bear all week. And guys were saying this season was off. Spring bears are quite a bit lighter than fall bears I guess.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:59 am

dan wrote:

And also, pertaining to your early kills... Our cameras were showing hits all day long last season. A lot more than usual. We did not go in till noon expecting that to be the least likely time to bump a bear off the bait. But we had those early hits too... Hunting seems to be getting a lot better up by you since they cut back on the tags.
I love bear camp with the guys, but I wouldn't mind trying to get one of those left over tags and hunting in your camp once or twice to see how you do things. Im surprised more Beast members are not hunting with you... Anybody from the beast been at your camp yet?

That was the biggest reason I went. So much of deer hunting is a solo venture. Bear hunting is pretty relaxed.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:05 am

Dan, I have a couple guys inquire but are short on points still. We had a horrible draw this year. I've only got a handful of guys booked so far. I think the hunting success has stayed the same. There's just more bears. The size is up a bit but not near wisco or Canadian size.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:20 am

Jim Wallner wrote:Dan, I have a couple guys inquire but are short on points still. We had a horrible draw this year. I've only got a handful of guys booked so far. I think the hunting success has stayed the same. There's just more bears. The size is up a bit but not near wisco or Canadian size.

The only reason Wisconsin has bigger bears is cause they bait all year here. Basically from when they come out of den thru the hunting season. if I can remember, I might try and get a left over and book with you if your camp ain't full.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:51 am

I'd also expect winter severity and type of habitat to impact body weights as well. Cold weather and availability impact timing of hibernation. But no doubt the delicious treats help.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:25 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I'd also expect winter severity and type of habitat to impact body weights as well. Cold weather and availability impact timing of hibernation. But no doubt the delicious treats help.

Gotta agree with Bass here. Bears don't get near as big in Montana as here and parts of Canada. They just don't have the abundance of feed available. Not just what I saw but also from the studies done by the states biologists.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”