Bear podcast

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bear podcast

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:45 pm

mjk wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:You guys have some picky bears. :lol: I always bait 10 gallons. This time of year, I often have kitchen scraps and moldy food in my filler. It always gets eaten in a couple days. They do get bit pickier later in the season and I need to switch to all premium bait. Perhaps this is a seasonal shift that applies to the entire Great Lakes region.

I have often seen that what bears eat in May, June , and early July, they won't touch after that. We used to use yogurt base. Bears would eat the lemon flavor early, and then would totally ignore the Lemon flavor in late summer while they still hammered the other flavors. Gummy bears were the same way. Bears did not like them after mid July.

In regards to being picky, we used to get the outdated chips from the local Frio Lay guy. The bears would sort out the flaming hot cheetos, and they would be laying next to the stump, while the rest of the chips would be eaten. Happened time after time.

One advantage I have is that Carol rehabs raccoons. I see a distinct correlation between what the coons like, and what the bears like. Any doubt I test it on the coons. The stuff the coons push to the side, bears do the same. I bought a lot of cereal last year. Sounded like a great bait but it was the last thing the bears ate. So I gave it to Carol and the coons wouldn't eat it either (just one example)

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:11 am

dan wrote:
mjk wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:You guys have some picky bears. :lol: I always bait 10 gallons. This time of year, I often have kitchen scraps and moldy food in my filler. It always gets eaten in a couple days. They do get bit pickier later in the season and I need to switch to all premium bait. Perhaps this is a seasonal shift that applies to the entire Great Lakes region.

I have often seen that what bears eat in May, June , and early July, they won't touch after that. We used to use yogurt base. Bears would eat the lemon flavor early, and then would totally ignore the Lemon flavor in late summer while they still hammered the other flavors. Gummy bears were the same way. Bears did not like them after mid July.

In regards to being picky, we used to get the outdated chips from the local Frio Lay guy. The bears would sort out the flaming hotcheetos, and they would be laying next to the stump, while the rest of the chips would be eaten. Happened time after time.

One advantage I have is that Carol rehabs raccoons. I see a distinct correlation between what the coons like, and what the bears like. Any doubt I test it on the coons. The stuff the coons push to the side, bears do the same. I bought a lot of cereal last year. Sounded like a great bait but it was the last thing the bears ate. So I gave it to Carol and the coons wouldn't eat it either (just one example)

Yes...stay away from the hot spicy crap. I have found out they do not favor the cones, they brush those aside but they will eventually eat them unless they are chocolate coated cones they like those. I don't really mind adding a scoop of plain cones, even though its the last thing they will slowly consume (it will still attract them when I cannot bait for a few days).
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:29 am

dan wrote:
Bernie also mentioned something I've never ever read on the hunting beast.... He said something about not wanting to give the bears too much sugar. I wonder how many grams of sugar per 5 gallons of bait would be considered over "sugarring"??? As Bernie calls it.

That would be news to me... I give them lots of sugar and never noticed any ill effects. Mike or Jim, do you guys have concerns about to much sugar?

I have never been concerned or seen any ill effects on to much sugar. Bears are not forced to eat at bait stations, ;) they will avoid certain foods if they don't want to eat them period.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:50 am

Mike Foss wrote:
dan wrote:
mjk wrote:

In regards to being picky, we used to get the outdated chips from the local Frio Lay guy. The bears would sort out the flaming hotcheetos, and they would be laying next to the stump, while the rest of the chips would be eaten. Happened time after time.

Yes...stay away from thehot spicy crap. I have found out they do not favor the cones, they brush those aside but they will eventually eat them unless they are chocolate coated cones they like those. I don't really mind adding a scoop of plain cones, even though its the last thing they will slowly consume (it will still attract them when I cannot bait for a few days).

Thats a good general rule of thumb but I've seen them hammer horseradish pudding and wasabi peas and leave candy behind. May have been the type of heat. Those spicy cheetos are probably capsaicin based. The horseradish is an isothiocyanate. Probably the same reason why I have bears digging of radishes out of my food plot. It's common in a lot of brassicas. I don't know. Just thinking out loud.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:20 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:
dan wrote:
mjk wrote:

Yes...stay away from thehot spicy crap. I have found out they do not favor the cones, they brush those aside but they will eventually eat them unless they are chocolate coated cones they like those. I don't really mind adding a scoop of plain cones, even though its the last thing they will slowly consume (it will still attract them when I cannot bait for a few days).

Thats a good general rule of thumb but I've seen them hammer horseradish pudding and wasabi peasand leave candy behind. May have been the type of heat. Those spicy cheetos are probably capsaicin based. The horseradish is an isothiocyanate. Probably the same reason why I have bears digging of radishes out of my food plot. It's common in a lot of brassicas. I don't know. Just thinking out loud.

That's good to know....I planted Biologic one year for deer...I had more bears on my plot than deer! :twisted:
Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:42 am

Mike Foss wrote:
dan wrote:
mjk wrote:

Yes...stay away from the hot spicy crap. I have found out they do not favor the cones, they brush those aside but they will eventually eat them unless they are chocolate coated cones they like those. I don't really mind adding a scoop of plain cones, even though its the last thing they will slowly consume (it will still attract them when I cannot bait for a few days).

I agree with you Mike on the cones. Same here cones alone they will eat them but not real fast and wont hold a bear on a bait. Im able to get 3-4 totes of cones for basically nothing and figured I needed to find away to make them more attractive to the bears. I have found if I melt peanut butter down and mix that in with the cones so the cones are all covered in PB they love it. Along with that some times will mix a trail mix in with it so you have PB covered cones with nuts, m&m and such all stuck to the cones as well. Also melted pb and fudge together works really well. This year I have tried mixing blueberry doughnut mix in with the cones so the cones are all covered in it and they are loving it. Have done the same with caramel as well. Pie fillings work but not as well. With that said I do go heavy on the trail mix (the right kind) and grains come Aug but still use cones as part of my bait.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:14 am

My partner bought some cones and I was going to get a tote full too cause I lost my pita bread suppier. Was thinking about dousing them with grease, sugar, carmal and other things I have bulk of... Thoughts on that mike? I was planning on doing one bucket of cones with some additive and one bucket of trail mix / cookies / cookie dough and some other mixed in goodys...
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:39 am

dan wrote:My partner bought some cones and I was going to get a tote full too cause I lost my pita bread suppier. Was thinking about dousing them with grease, sugar, carmal and other things I have bulk of... Thoughts on that mike? I was planning on doing one bucket of cones with some additive and one bucket of trail mix / cookies / cookie dough and some other mixed in goodys...

I use powdered sugar, it sticks better than the sugar, purchase a powder sugar sifter, you wont waist as much as if you just poured it out of the bag. We sometimes take the sifter right out baiting with us, I sometimes feel like I am Julia child's out there. Experiment with the mixtures and keep track on what you think does best but also remember early in the baiting season bears will almost eat everything and anything, as the season gets closer "September" they are almost at there goal for the fat that will get them through the Winter and will be more picky on food sources.
Bear Magnum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bearhuntingpodcast/

Unread postby Bear Magnum » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:22 pm

I just finished up a record 3.5 hour long podcast with Jim Wallner that is loaded to the gills with super detailed Bear Hunting information. A lot of good Minnesota stuff. Had an awesome conversation that I can't wait to share with you all. It'll be out in a couple weeks.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:36 pm

Bear Magnum wrote:I just finished up a record 3.5 hour long podcast with Jim Wallner that is loaded to the gills with super detailed Bear Hunting information. A lot of good Minnesota stuff. Had an awesome conversation that I can't wait to share with you all. It'll be out in a couple weeks.

Sounds awesome!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:14 pm

Bear Magnum wrote:I just finished up a record 3.5 hour long podcast with Jim Wallner that is loaded to the gills with super detailed Bear Hunting information. A lot of good Minnesota stuff. Had an awesome conversation that I can't wait to share with you all. It'll be out in a couple weeks.

Wow 3.5 hours :shock: :o :ugeek: can't wait
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Bear Magnum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bearhuntingpodcast/

Unread postby Bear Magnum » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:30 pm

BigHunt wrote:Wow 3.5 hours :shock: :o :ugeek: can't wait

Yeah this one will be a 2 part series. It's loaded with such stuff!
Hunt247365

Unread postby Hunt247365 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:48 am

That is sweet! Been listening to all of them well doing my honey and syrup bottling.
Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Unread postby Bearman13 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:27 am

We talked about a lot of stuff. Hopefully we covered all the bases. I've done a few interviews and you get talking about a topic and it snowballs into another and you miss the original topic. We started off talking about the area I live and jobs and got into bears and I said are you recording now?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:45 am

[quote="Jim Wallner"]We talked about a lot of stuff. Hopefully we covered all the bases. I've done a few interviews and you get talking about a topic and it snowballs into another and you miss the original topic. We started off talking about the area I live and jobs and got into bears and I said are you recording now?[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”