Bear podcast

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store


User avatar
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 31553
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Bear podcast

Postby dan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:05 am

I think food needs to be in the thought process early season too ;)


Mike Foss
500 Club
Posts: 892
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:40 am
Status: Offline

Re: Bear podcast

Postby Mike Foss » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:28 am

Jim Wallner wrote:I find it interesting that no talk has come up about early season vs late season. That separates the men from the boys.


We have had some awesome hunts late season. Don't give up on that bait station just yet, keep it going even if its not hit for days, refresh with scent and new bait, keep that important trail camera hung. Bears eating habits slow down later in the season as it gets colder but can explode with warmer weather conditions, its at that time you should hunt. As other food sources and many bait stations dry up those Monster bears that you had on camera at the beginning of baiting have a tendency to show up and camp in the area for a few days, its a small window but if you catch it before it closes you can fill that tag. The hides are great later in the season.
User avatar
Dewey
Moderator
Posts: 22295
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:57 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Bear podcast

Postby Dewey » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:56 am

Good stuff. Really looking forward to Mike's podcast. 8-)
User avatar
Jim Wallner
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:24 pm
Facebook: Jimmy's Guide Service/Fall River Outfitters
Location: Northern, Minnesota
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Bear podcast

Postby Jim Wallner » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:54 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Jim Wallner wrote:I find it interesting that no talk has come up about early season vs late season. That separates the men from the boys.


We have had some awesome hunts late season. Don't give up on that bait station just yet, keep it going even if its not hit for days, refresh with scent and new bait, keep that important trail camera hung. Bears eating habits slow down later in the season as it gets colder but can explode with warmer weather conditions, its at that time you should hunt. As other food sources and many bait stations dry up those Monster bears that you had on camera at the beginning of baiting have a tendency to show up and camp in the area for a few days, its a small window but if you catch it before it closes you can fill that tag. The hides are great later in the season.


THIS. ^^^
BassBoysLLP
500 Club
Posts: 9400
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:28 pm
Location: Central WI
Status: Offline

Re: Bear podcast

Postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Jim Wallner wrote:I find it interesting that no talk has come up about early season vs late season. That separates the men from the boys.


We have had some awesome hunts late season. Don't give up on that bait station just yet, keep it going even if its not hit for days, refresh with scent and new bait, keep that important trail camera hung. Bears eating habits slow down later in the season as it gets colder but can explode with warmer weather conditions, its at that time you should hunt. As other food sources and many bait stations dry up those Monster bears that you had on camera at the beginning of baiting have a tendency to show up and camp in the area for a few days, its a small window but if you catch it before it closes you can fill that tag. The hides are great later in the season.


I do like the idea of sitting over a bear bait on a warm fall day.
Melting snowflakes one at a time.
User avatar
john1984
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:08 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Bear podcast

Postby john1984 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:08 pm

dan wrote:I was asked to be on the bear podcast... Check it out!
We get into some good tactical discussion.


https://soundcloud.com/user-134124183-1 ... dan-infalt



Just for purposes of clarification, Dan wasn't dumping out 200 gallons at a time at every bait site. He was dumping 35 gallons at each site (2016)
Bear Magnum
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 7:57 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bearhuntingpodcast/
Location: Yooper
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Bear podcast

Postby Bear Magnum » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:24 pm

john1984 wrote:
dan wrote:I was asked to be on the bear podcast... Check it out!
We get into some good tactical discussion.


https://soundcloud.com/user-134124183-1 ... dan-infalt



Just for purposes of clarification, Dan wasn't dumping out 200 gallons at a time at every bait site. He was dumping 35 gallons at each site (2016)


Yeah afterwards I was kinda figuring that. That would be 4 barrels of bait a week. :shock:
User avatar
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 31553
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Bear podcast

Postby dan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:54 pm

Bear Magnum wrote:
john1984 wrote:
dan wrote:I was asked to be on the bear podcast... Check it out!
We get into some good tactical discussion.


https://soundcloud.com/user-134124183-1 ... dan-infalt



Just for purposes of clarification, Dan wasn't dumping out 200 gallons at a time at every bait site. He was dumping 35 gallons at each site (2016)


Yeah afterwards I was kinda figuring that. That would be 4 barrels of bait a week. :shock:

We put out at each bait:
1 bucket of trail mix
1 bucket of cookies
2 buckets of lucky charm marsh mellows
2 buckets of lucky charms cereal
2 buckets of donuts/bread/ candy/ carmel corn etc. mixed in barrels with pie fillings, bags of sugar, and maple syrup.

In the past we also put out a giant bag of pita bread as a base at the bottom of each bait. About 6 buckets worth that everything would soak down into. But, with an extra hunter this time we only did that the 1st time we baited and then stopped cause we just could not haul that much bait up there each week.

We poured a 5 gallon bucket of used cooking oil over the bait after logs were on, we used 1/2 a can of fruit punch coolaid, and several boxs of powdered jello, and some pancake mix, and some sort of cinnamon cooking spice sprinkled over the bait. We also poured 1/2 a bottle of maple syrup over each bait.

Then for oil scents we sprayed several bear scents brand scents on eacxh bait each time we baited. Anise, jelly donut, cherry, bacon, and berry. I also sprayed vannilla extract at each bait. Sprays were done over the logs, on the ground around the logs, up the bear trails, and on several trees, as well as up into the branches.
AND... We had no problems with bears hitting at night.
This was every time we baited. All buckets were packed full, and a number of the buckets were 6 gallon buckets rather than 5. Since we only used the pita bread this trip on the 1st baiting, it really don't count, but With the pita bread it was about 14 buckets of solid bait, 1 bucket of oil. 15 buckets.

Without it 8 buckets of solid bait, one bucket oil. 40 gallons of food bait. Cameras shown it eaten in about 3 or 4 days. The bait where I shot my bear I put all the left over pita bread we had, and the last baiting there was about 60 or 70 gallons... And it really helped keep the bears on that bait. When you see the DVD on the hunt it shows the amount of bait we put out...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club
Posts: 9400
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:28 pm
Location: Central WI
Status: Offline

Re: Bear podcast

Postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:54 pm

Nice. That definitely sounds like a recipe for success.
Melting snowflakes one at a time.
User avatar
BigHunt
Posts: 11866
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:50 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Bear podcast

Postby BigHunt » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:15 am

john1984 wrote:
dan wrote:I was asked to be on the bear podcast... Check it out!
We get into some good tactical discussion.


https://soundcloud.com/user-134124183-1 ... dan-infalt



Just for purposes of clarification, Dan wasn't dumping out 200 gallons at a time at every bait site. He was dumping 35 gallons at each site (2016)

It was actually 40 gallons. ..8 buckets a bait
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
User avatar
john1984
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:08 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Bear podcast

Postby john1984 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:38 am

Bear Magnum wrote:We've got another episode uploaded that you guys will probably enjoy. This podcast is with another user of the Beast, Bernie Barringer. You can listen to the episode on the link below as well as iTunes(iPhone) and Google Play (Android):

https://soundcloud.com/user-134124183-1 ... -barringer

On this episode we talk with Bernie Barringer about hunting tactics for hunting Big Minnesota Bears! This episode talks about bear tags in Minnesota, what role natural foods play, hazelnuts, where to set up a bait site, bears need for water, what bait holds the bears on the bait best, bait quantity, Bernie's best hunting MN hunting story, and much more.


Listened to this one today. Man this guy has killed 23 black bears all over North America, very cool.

I just subscribed to his youtube channel
User avatar
john1984
Posts: 2290
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:08 am
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline

Re: Bear podcast

Postby john1984 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:00 pm

john1984 wrote:
Bear Magnum wrote:We've got another episode uploaded that you guys will probably enjoy. This podcast is with another user of the Beast, Bernie Barringer. You can listen to the episode on the link below as well as iTunes(iPhone) and Google Play (Android):

https://soundcloud.com/user-134124183-1 ... -barringer

On this episode we talk with Bernie Barringer about hunting tactics for hunting Big Minnesota Bears! This episode talks about bear tags in Minnesota, what role natural foods play, hazelnuts, where to set up a bait site, bears need for water, what bait holds the bears on the bait best, bait quantity, Bernie's best hunting MN hunting story, and much more.


Listened to this one today. Man this guy has killed 23 black bears all over North America, very cool.

I just subscribed to his youtube channel



Bernie also mentioned something I've never ever read on the hunting beast.... He said something about not wanting to give the bears too much sugar. I wonder how many grams of sugar per 5 gallons of bait would be considered over "sugarring"??? As Bernie calls it.

He seems to agree with Dan on wanting to have a lot of bait out in MN. And also seems to agree with Mike Foss that bears roam around a lot scavenging for nature's food, and being close to water is very important ,,, and probably more so that just being close to some acorns.

I wonder how many gallons of acorns could a 5. Acre chunk of hardwoods in bear territory produce just on thee average for the entire month of September? ????

I'm assuming a guy like Dan, who gives them 40 gallons a week, is offer ring them a lot more calories in.a week.than what a close by good food source can .Water. Bass just got do be mentioning it also.


thehuntingbeast.com is the bomb!
User avatar
dan
Site Owner
Posts: 31553
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:11 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks
Location: S.E. Wisconsin
Contact:
Status: Online

Re: Bear podcast

Postby dan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:33 pm

Bernie also mentioned something I've never ever read on the hunting beast.... He said something about not wanting to give the bears too much sugar. I wonder how many grams of sugar per 5 gallons of bait would be considered over "sugarring"??? As Bernie calls it.


That would be news to me... I give them lots of sugar and never noticed any ill effects. Mike or Jim, do you guys have concerns about to much sugar?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club
Posts: 9400
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:28 pm
Location: Central WI
Status: Offline

Re: Bear podcast

Postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:36 pm

dan wrote:
Bernie also mentioned something I've never ever read on the hunting beast.... He said something about not wanting to give the bears too much sugar. I wonder how many grams of sugar per 5 gallons of bait would be considered over "sugarring"??? As Bernie calls it.


That would be news to me... I give them lots of sugar and never noticed any ill effects. Mike or Jim, do you guys have concerns about to much sugar?


It was the first time I heard of the sugar thing as well. A lot of the big time guys by me switch to trail mix later in the season because the sugars draw lesser than the nuts. Bernie is primarily hunting northern MN and perhaps he is referring to a reduced preference of sugar baits vs. nut baits. Kinda like a glass half full or half empty argument. Do the bears move to the trail mix because they are sick of sugar? Or do they go to the trail mix because they prefer the trail mix?

I do like the natural food piece. I mix in a lot of apples later in the season as they are free and plentiful.
Melting snowflakes one at a time.
Bear Magnum
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 7:57 am
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bearhuntingpodcast/
Location: Yooper
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Bear podcast

Postby Bear Magnum » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:43 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
dan wrote:
Bernie also mentioned something I've never ever read on the hunting beast.... He said something about not wanting to give the bears too much sugar. I wonder how many grams of sugar per 5 gallons of bait would be considered over "sugarring"??? As Bernie calls it.


That would be news to me... I give them lots of sugar and never noticed any ill effects. Mike or Jim, do you guys have concerns about to much sugar?


It was the first time I heard of the sugar thing as well. A lot of the big time guys by me switch to trail mix later in the season because the sugars draw lesser than the nuts. Bernie is primarily hunting northern MN and perhaps he is referring to a reduced preference of sugar baits vs. nut baits. Kinda like a glass half full or half empty argument. Do the bears move to the trail mix because they are sick of sugar? Or do they go to the trail mix because they prefer the trail mix?

I do like the natural food piece. I mix in a lot of apples later in the season as they are free and plentiful.


I'm not 100% sure this is what Bernie is referring to, but the year I shot my first bear, I was using strictly cookie dough. The bears would show up, engorge themselves, and then disappear for up to 3 days. There was bait left, so they weren't cleaning me out and moving on. I still got my bear. The next year I switched to granola/trail mix and haven't had the same problem since.

Return to “Bear Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest