WI Bear 2017

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Re: WI Bear 2017

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:43 am

I'm done bear hunting for the year and this is driving me crazy looking at your baits and photos, etc.

Wapitiwarrior96

Unread postby Wapitiwarrior96 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:51 pm

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:I'm done bear hunting for the year and this is driving me crazy looking at your baits and photos, etc.

Yeah I'm really excited! Hoping to get my first bear! I've learned a lot running baits with dan.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:12 am

Lots of sites open for you guys
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:24 am

BigHunt wrote:Lots of sites open for you guys

If you can, keep a little bait on my 3 spots near you.

My truck is back in the shop and I am having a lot of issues. Going to get up there last minute on Tuesday.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:06 am

Steph and I are not looking to good. I dropped the deer crossing bait as other hunters moved in around me late and the bore has not hit in 2 weeks. I added a bait in a spot I baited last time that had incredable action back then until hound hunters found it. Now that hound hunting is done, I thought it would be good to rebait that one, especially cause I found that 7 inch track again in the same spot and its not far from that bait location.

I put a camera on the ribbon swamp bait now that the hound hunters are gone I don't think this one will get stolen. But, I have not checked it yet. The bigfoot bait had 2 daylight hits, one was a 250/300 pound boar right at closing time, the other was a sow and cubs in the afternoon. all the rest of the hits were nocturnal.

The remote bait has 150 pound bear on it that has been hitting in daylight when the spot is baited. He hit once in daylight last week then finished all the bait that night, which is the routine for him. That might be a good one for steph if he is concerned about getting his 1st bear. The buck bait has lost its big bears for a few weeks and I can see where other hunters have moved in close with baits. It has a small bear that might only be 90 pounds. Might not even be legal length. But, he is hitting all day every day :lol:

The damn bait has a decent bear, but nocturnal. The new remote dam bait we checked 1st cam pull and it has a decent bear, but all night shots.

If that don't sound challenging enough for you, we are expecting a cold front on Wednesday the opener which is sure to slow daylight activity.

I should of been up there saturday morning for the duration keeping my baits baited cause the cameras show me a trend that when my weekly baits go dry, the bears wander off. The daylight hits we get are the same day we bait or the following. Some of the nocturnal baits get hit a few days after baiting... Im not up there cause my truck is ripped apart in a garage being repaired. And my back up truck blew a rear seal and is in the shop getting a fast repair right now. As soon as its done, Im on the road... Tylers baits are looking a lot better than mine. I will chalk that up as begginers luck! :lol:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:11 am

Sorry your having all the troubles. Filling a tag will feel all that much more sweeter!!! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:02 am

I'm checking cams first thing tomorrow morning. Today should be a good index for tomorrow. Not excited about this cold weather. May have to observe. NW winds work good for me though at both sites.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:16 am

dan wrote:Steph and I are not looking to good. I dropped the deer crossing bait as other hunters moved in around me late and the bore has not hit in 2 weeks. I added a bait in a spot I baited last time that had incredable action back then until hound hunters found it. Now that hound hunting is done, I thought it would be good to rebait that one, especially cause I found that 7 inch track again in the same spot and its not far from that bait location.

I put a camera on the ribbon swamp bait now that the hound hunters are gone I don't think this one will get stolen. But, I have not checked it yet. The bigfoot bait had 2 daylight hits, one was a 250/300 pound boar right at closing time, the other was a sow and cubs in the afternoon. all the rest of the hits were nocturnal.

The remote bait has 150 pound bear on it that has been hitting in daylight when the spot is baited. He hit once in daylight last week then finished all the bait that night, which is the routine for him. That might be a good one for steph if he is concerned about getting his 1st bear. The buck bait has lost its big bears for a few weeks and I can see where other hunters have moved in close with baits. It has a small bear that might only be 90 pounds. Might not even be legal length. But, he is hitting all day every day :lol:

The damn bait has a decent bear, but nocturnal. The new remote dam bait we checked 1st cam pull and it has a decent bear, but all night shots.

If that don't sound challenging enough for you, we are expecting a cold front on Wednesday the opener which is sure to slow daylight activity.

I should of been up there saturday morning for the duration keeping my baits baited cause the cameras show me a trend that when my weekly baits go dry, the bears wander off. The daylight hits we get are the same day we bait or the following. Some of the nocturnal baits get hit a few days after baiting... Im not up there cause my truck is ripped apart in a garage being repaired. And my back up truck blew a rear seal and is in the shop getting a fast repair right now. As soon as its done, Im on the road... Tylers baits are looking a lot better than mine. I will chalk that up as begginers luck! :lol:

yup ....and that's why your hunting your own baits!! :mrgreen: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:17 am

Sounds rough. Good luck to you guys. :pray:
Wapitiwarrior96

Unread postby Wapitiwarrior96 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:35 pm

dan wrote:Steph and I are not looking to good. I dropped the deer crossing bait as other hunters moved in around me late and the bore has not hit in 2 weeks. I added a bait in a spot I baited last time that had incredable action back then until hound hunters found it. Now that hound hunting is done, I thought it would be good to rebait that one, especially cause I found that 7 inch track again in the same spot and its not far from that bait location.

headed up in the morning, hoping for the best! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:50 pm

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Most of the baits I've been running for guys are being hit at night been a goofy year I think.. Good luck to you guys tommorow hoping to see some pics :pray:
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:42 pm

Good luck hope everything works out
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:36 am

Good Luck !! I still have one more week to wait yet here in WI Zone B. Its going ok but could be better. The waiting is the hardest part .....
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:24 pm

Go git em!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”