WI Bear 2017

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: WI Bear 2017

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:54 am

Good luck Dan.

Surprising our zone B baits weren't affected by the cold. Big bear still showing in legal shooting light up until we checked cameras thursday. Keeping fingers crossed as this time of year anything can throw their patterns off.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:06 am

Im back home now, steph and Bighunt are still up there. There is a lot of pressure. I was talking with a few different bear hunters in the camp ground and every one of them told me there baits were not being hit at all... My bigfootbait had some potential up to opening day with multiple bears hitting it, but someone put a new bait past it and started driving into the woods within a few hundred yards every evening and back out afte hunting and that bait went dead.

The ribbon swamp bait was getting hits but a lot less an d for some reason every camera we put in there has pics of everything but the bear. Because of that I cell him the ghost bear, just can't seem to get his pic. I sat there twice hoping it was the big bear from earlier this year before that cam was stolen. Had someone hunting a few hundred yards from me, drive in on a loud ATV about 2 hours before dark and leave 30 minutes before closing... That was the last hit on that bait.

The 1st time steph hunted the remote bait, the bait must have been close. It has not been hit since, and it was getting pretty regular daylight hits.

The best looking bait is the the dam #2 bait. It has two good boars hitting and we got good daylight hits right before the opener. Hunted it a couple times but no luck so far. They continue to hit hit it, but mostly after dark.

The buck bait has a small bear on it, we set up sticks to make sure its legal, steph really wants to get his 1st bear. Its legal, but small. That bear is hitting all day lang. Steph should get a shot at it if he is patient.

I see a trend that you really need to work to get the baits further remote, and away from human activity.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:07 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Good luck Dan.

Surprising our zone B baits weren't affected by the cold. Big bear still showing in legal shooting light up until we checked cameras thursday. Keeping fingers crossed as this time of year anything can throw their patterns off.

Good luck Jason. Should be good weather for your opener.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:59 am

dan wrote: I see a trend that you really need to work to get the baits further remote, and away from human activity.

Yup.

Any plans to move/set up any new baits?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:12 am

Rich M wrote:
dan wrote: I see a trend that you really need to work to get the baits further remote, and away from human activity.

Yup.

Any plans to move/set up any new baits?

Yes, but not this year.
Wapitiwarrior96

Unread postby Wapitiwarrior96 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Hunted hard last week all the way up to sunday... but no bears. Headed up again tomorrow to bait and hunt, hoping things have picked up. Hopefully I can get my first bear... even if it has to be a little rat! :o :lol:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:49 pm

Wapitiwarrior96 wrote:Hunted hard last week all the way up to sunday... but no bears. Headed up again tomorrow to bait and hunt, hoping things have picked up. Hopefully I can get my first bear... even if it has to be a little rat! :o :lol:

That's the spirit ;)

FYI my first three deer were doe fawns... gotta start somewhere!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:13 pm

You got this. It's going to be a good weekend. You'll have to deal with some overall hunting pressure but should feel less than last and temps will be hot saturday. I just hope the winds arent variable for you on Saturday
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:40 pm

Wapitiwarrior96 wrote:Hunted hard last week all the way up to sunday... but no bears. Headed up again tomorrow to bait and hunt, hoping things have picked up. Hopefully I can get my first bear... even if it has to be a little rat! :o :lol:

It shouldn't take more than a couple sits to kill the bear on the buck bait... Im hoping the pond2 bait is still being worked. I might go up Friday before the weekend pressure.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:42 am

I'm with you...

A nice rug would be awesome, but I'll settle for a slipper
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:01 am

Ed - that was good. My uncle went on some bear hunt somewhere and asked a guy who shot a small one if he was making a bear skin cap... Karma showed up and my uncle shot a small one too. :doh:

I've got a little cousin in ME who keeps passing on bears - they run about 10 sites and the kid won't shoot anything but a big one. My old uncle - his grandpa does all the baiting.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:03 am

Weekend report?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:26 am

I HUNTED Friday... The only bait hit was the bigfoot bait, but A guy put a bait near that bait and is parking 400 yards from the bait and hunted every day of the season. I hunted and drove home to deer hunt. Steph is really interested in the bear hitting the buck bait, Im really surprised he has not killed it yet. It hits in daylight a lot. He hunted all weekend with no luck. Going to keep em baited and see what shows as the season progresses. Last time a good one started showing up regularly right at the end of bear season and I almost got him.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:31 pm

Any updates?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:23 pm

3 BAITS STILL GETTING HITS. One looked pretty good, so Steph hunted it. He messaged me that he had no luck tonight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”