NWO Updates, Pictures & Videos 2017

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: NWO Updates, Pictures & Videos 2017

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:09 pm

We baited most of our set ups today that have hollow logs as we new a big storm was coming, on our last one we got drenched. Here is a cool video...I don't know if anyone has experienced this before but I have many times. Seems the crows & ravines get irritated when a bear is at the bait. Anytime you hear these birds act up when approaching your bait station chances are there is a bear there or was just there. This bait is on the edge of a quarter acre old deer food plot, surrounded by thick cover. Small bear (100lbs) with a nice V on its chest, but cool video.
https://youtu.be/Q_A0mo3JNqI

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:26 pm

I've definitely seen/heard that Mike. Also, if you hear a blue jay while baiting, good chance he either moved off the bait or got up ready to come in after you baited.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:54 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:I've definitely seen/heard that Mike. Also, if you hear a blue jaywhile baiting, good chance he either moved off the bait or got up ready to come in after you baited.

That bear I shot in Minnesota, moments before that a Blue Jay started its warning squawk, that's how I new another bear was out there and coming in. Its cool how over the years of outdoor experience what you can learn from other animals.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:36 am

Mike Foss wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:I've definitely seen/heard that Mike. Also, if you hear a blue jaywhile baiting, good chance he either moved off the bait or got up ready to come in after you baited.

That bear I shot in Minnesota, moments before that a Blue Jay started its warning squawk, that's how I new another bear was out there and coming in. Its cool how over the years of outdoor experience what you can learn from other animals.

How have your baits responded with the unseasonably cool weather?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:58 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

Sorry for no posting been busy every day baiting then 3 days of regular Job. To bed each night around 8:30

We have only one bait station that we are contemplating abandoning otherwise the bait is being devoured every day. Tomorrow will be our 4th consecutive day of baiting, each bait station has literally nothing left "Raccoons seem to clean up the last morsels".

We do have some trouble at one of our baits with wolves but they have not been back in a few days. Ran into a bear face to face at that bait station today so the bears are still around.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:12 pm

Mike Foss wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

Sorry for no posting been busy every day baiting then 3 days of regular Job. To bed each night around 8:30

We have only one bait station that we are contemplating abandoning otherwise the bait is being devoured every day. Tomorrow will be our 4th consecutive day of baiting, each bait station has literally nothing left "Raccoons seem to clean up the last morsels".

We do have some trouble at one of our baits with wolves but they have not been back in a few days. Ran into a bear face to face at that bait station today so the bears are still around.

Thanks Mike. That seems to be the consensus. The small spell of morning temps in the low 40s had little impact movement. I'm always looking to validate your theories.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:22 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

Thanks Mike. That seems to be the consensus. The small spell of morning temps in the low 40s had little impact movement. I'm always looking to validate your theories.

The change in the seasons weather hasn't kicked in yet on a regular basis. When you have 4-5 or more consecutive days of cooler weather then a couple of days in the 70s plus, that's when my theory will come into play.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:01 am

Mike Foss wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

The change in the seasons weather hasn't kicked in yet on a regular basis. When you have 4-5 or more consecutive days of cooler weather then a couple of days in the 70s plus, that's when my theory will come into play.

Thanks. I recall you saying that it may be possible in the summer in another thread. But I agree. It doesn't seem to be happening. If anything, my sites are only slowing due to pressure and going a bi nocturnal during extreme heat.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:06 pm

You be the judge.....Sow or Boar....That nipple is throwing me off.

https://youtu.be/nOUpqp6Nf1M

Wish these guys would leave.
https://youtu.be/_qcEiDETpcY
Last edited by Mike Foss on Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Not sure. Just has some long looking ears.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:24 pm

Its amazing how fast bears are....it slumbers in slowly but look how fast they can move when danger is near "the bear spots a wolf or wolves'.

https://youtu.be/fR0a6nL3T0w
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:03 am

One of my favorite videos from last year and worth looking at again. Don't blame the little guy for running.
https://youtu.be/pIYoY3rXbEM
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:06 am

Awesome videos Mike!
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:23 am

We had to abandon this great bait station. Last year a 15 year old shot "Muzzle loader" a beautiful 320lber. With multiple bears coming in last year I thought for sure it would be a hot stand for this year....NOPE...after baiting it for 2 months only one little bear coming in sporadically, so I decided to pull the plug. From year to year you never know what's going to happen.
Last edited by Mike Foss on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:26 am

8-) 8-) :clap: :clap:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”