BigHunt's DIY 2017 BEAR

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHunt

BigHunt's DIY 2017 BEAR

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:51 pm

I started applying in 2015 for my Wisconsin zone C bear tag. i helped Dan out a lot with his 2015 Wisconsin bear season. wile i was up there in 2015 helping Dan on his hunt i started logging different possible bait sites. I've been cyber scouting since 2015 of the area i planed on hunting. this year i was drawn for my kill tag witch i applied for with dank Dan wanted to start baiting right away April 15th, but i was waaaaay to busy to even start thinking about bear hunting with turkey hunting going on, and mushrooms, and on top of that Jodi and i was closing a deal on our first house! with all that going on i just didn't have the time or money.once i had everything takin care of my gears started grinding for my 2017 Wisconsin bear hunt but by then Dan already had his baits all established and in order with recruited help from a new guy. my mind still fresh from last years Minnesota's bear hunt i headed north 4 weeks ago to start my scouting in Wisconsin. the first weekend i met Dan up there to help him haul some logs out. the first stop he didn't intend to hunt.as we walked in to the bait site dan noticed huge scratch marks on the tree. he was thinking it was one of the same bears from 2015 just coming back to check if there is bait.instead of hauling out the big log Dan let me take over this spot and I'm am very grateful for it. I helped him with a few other logs. Dan went on his way and so did I. I scouted for 4 days (weekends) sun up till sun down, I went over all my pre cyber scouted spots. i found out that a lot of my pre marked spots already have a bait log in or around them :doh: :lol: I laughed and knew it wasn't going to be easy. i was able to find some really GOOD remote areas and some good areas close to the main roads away from dog trainers. after 2 weekends of scouting i was happy with what I had to start with. I also scouted out backup spots if a bait didn't work or went dead. really there is so many good spots but I cant afforded to run 10 plus baits my self LOL! i started baiting 2 weeks ago in my 3 top spots right off the bat one of my cameras wasn't working so I had a camera less bait all week witch weighed heavy on my mind. last weekend Jodi and i went up camping for the 4th of July. we had a blast from running baits, kayaking, fishing, site seeing and much more!!first bait we checked was cleaned out witch I expected because it was the one Dan had given to me. the cam relived 5-6 different bears hitting the bait all times of the day. with a 300 is bore on it alone. bait #2 was cleaned out but unfortunately that was the bait with no camera! but i picked up 2 new cams and now it is good to go! bait #3 was also cleaned out but the camera wasn't working and did not work!!!either the SD card is shot or something is wrong with the camera. i can see the LEDS light up went it takes a pic but nothing is on the SD card!? same sd cards ive been using for a few years. if it don't work this week ill have another cam ready to go! im hoping when i get back up there this weekend that all baits are cleaned out again and that camera is working! i except highs and lows, more lows then high especially doing this all my self but, im ready for it!!!ive learned from the man the myth the legend (dan) and have been in 3 of his bear camps and several others. i am ready to take what ive learned and see how well i can apply it to the real world of hunting!
its really interesting reading, watching, talking to other bear hunters about there tactic's. im just like a sponge taking it all in. im really looking forward to this years hunt and what it brings. it sure will become a learning experience

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Re: BigHunt's DIY 2017 BEAR

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:53 pm

i went to bobs bait during the fathers day special. i was able to get alot of bait for cheap. 4 barrel's of goodies cookies, trail mix, bear mix, daunts, on top of that raspberry pie filling, lemon pie filling, blueberry pie filling, artificial ham paste( STINKS LIKE BACON!!!!)
4 50lbs bags of blue berry donut mix (the aroma is amazing) 2$ cearal bags, maple syrup, cherry cool aid

along with all that i have 3 different scent sprays that i make my self

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:01 am

working on the trail cam pics
Last edited by BigHunt on Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:03 am

8-) :clap: :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:05 am

Some scouting pics

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:38 am

Good luck....Another Bearaholic in the making :clap: Bear hunting is addicting, have fun!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:44 am

Good luck man
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:12 am

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:14 am

Subscribed. Looking forward to it.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:18 am

"Cross roads bait"
There is 3 small bores that come in together possibly a mating pair idk... also this nice bore I'd be happy with. we'll see what hound training bring..hopefully he sticks around

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:28 am

"Remote bait"

This bait is deep into the swamp... it's also the biggest swamp im targeting. I was un sure so I only put 1 bucket down.. also this is the bait that didn't have a cam in it all week... jodi and I checked it early Saturday morning. . It was cleaned out!! I brought up another cam and set it up. I rebait and waited. Monday when we left I wanted to check to see if the cam was working. ...all the bait was gone!!!!!! And had some awesome pics as well..200 plus in 2 days

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:50 am

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:04 am

Looking good.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:25 am

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:27 am

https://youtu.be/--fsRVsepWw

Going to the remote bait
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”