How close is to close

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

How close is to close

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:17 am

How many of you would have let a bear get this close to you? :o
https://youtu.be/PV-WlEZZMzs

Jackson Marsh

Re: How close is to close

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:55 am

:shock:

Great video!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:01 am

I probably would. A few seasons ago I had a bear walking toward me during turkey season. I just stood still and let him close the distance. He was about 15 yards away before he finally got a smell of me. He didn't hard spook. Changed directions and walked into thick cover. I love being close to them.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:19 am

If I had a can of bear spray, safety off and pointed right at him.......as close as he dares to get. :lol:
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:08 am

Cool stuff . That bear made a wise choice . :D

My first bear hunt I did a spot and stalk to kill my bear . I was able to glass my bait site across a beaver pond/meadow as the site was on a small rise at the edge of the woods . A bear was already at the bait so I decided to try a stalk . A small but noisy creek below the bait site I'm sure helped conceal any noise I made . Stalked to 10 yards and put an arrow in the bear .
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:28 am

No reason to die stupidly. :o
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:57 am

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:15 am

Saw that video a while back.

I was elk hunting in bow season. Walking a closed logging road. Had a sow with 2 cubs heading toward me. I was able to get to the shady side of the road. She got about 20 yards. One of the cubs had a limp. I was, going to let her get closer. But since she had cubs I decided to make a noise and move a little. She and 1 cub bailed off the downhill side. The limpy cub had no clue what happened and came in to 15 yards. Stood up on it's hide legs then bailed off to find ma. What a sight!!!

Probably kind of a dumb moved on my part. But seriously I'd do it that way again. Just love getting close to critters. I did pick up a big and solid stick. To use to try and whop her on the snout. In case she charged. I didn't think attempting to kill her if she charged was an option. Since It was my decision to play the game out the way it did. If things went south I'd live, or die, with the consequences.

If it was a single bear of the same size. I would have let it keep coming. And not attempted to kill it either should it charge.

Did I mention I'm a little crazy sometimes. This encounter I remember and hold as deeply in my heart as my actual bear kill encounter. And the non hunters think all we wanna do is kill things. "Wrong"!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:32 am

A friend of mine that has taken over 20 bear told me that if you have one try to climb up your tree ....You just have to talk to the bear and tell it "there is NO room up here for you!" .... :lol:
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:24 am

Nice video

Many years ago I was bear hunting with my wife from the ground. I noticed a bear coming from the wrong way. I thought my wife was watching as I was whispering the play by play. Wrong she thought I was going to shot so she was covering her ears. She was also watching a mouse at her feet until she saw the bears feet by hers. Then she jumped and so did the bear then it was gone. At the closest it was two to three feet
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:48 am

No Bears were harmed in this video....lol Circus Bear in training.

https://youtu.be/Pa1pIO4_lUY
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Mike Foss wrote:No Bears were harmed in this video....lol Circus Bear in training.

https://youtu.be/Pa1pIO4_lUY

Nice video but I think the bear may have been better off without the trampoline. It looked like it landed on its nose
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:47 am

If I feel threatened I will yell or throw things and scare the bear off. But I have had a few at 5 yards on the ground and have had them try to climb in the treestand with me. They are usually nothing to worry about. But like I said, if I feel threatened I will do something. I encounter a lot of bears so it's no big deal to me.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”