The Great Be-Bait

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: The Great Be-Bait

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:58 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:
stash59 wrote:I can see why you got bears to the bait after your 2nd trip in. You put down a much larger area of scent by putting it on your trail out and on the road. Thus creating a much larger scent cone floating on the wind. Similar to shows I've watch on chumming for sharks. They always laid out a long line of chumm across the currents.

So can you tell us about how much you've spent on bait and scents for this 1 bait so far?[/quote]

Total of 20 gallons (3x baited) of bait and a half a jar of bear scents that is in that one video. By the time the season starts we will add at least another 80 gallons of bait. Hard to tell....the half Jar of bear scents is around $12 and the bait have no idea. We figured it out one time a few years back...I had roughly $300 to $400 dollars tied into each bait station by the time the season started, that's gas & bait only.

Thats a good estimate. I usually have about the same. I'm running closer to $400 - 500 this year buy one having time to run one bait per day.

Good stuff Mike. Hopefully, I get the courage tosave up for a Zone D tag someday.

Hunters are drawing tags with only 5 points...you get a tag, I will set you up.

swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:04 pm

I will second the scent trails. When I create scent trails to near by beaver pond roads and trails my baits tend to get hit faster
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:30 pm

I'm getting a headache just watching this bear grind his head on this tree (he's rubbing that bacon gel on his head).https://youtu.be/hjg58XjDk5c
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:21 am

:doh: :lol: 8-)
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:31 pm

:clap:
That's awesome!
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:03 pm

So here's a better look at the big bear (no neck)....I think its just a monster sow...what do you guys think.
https://youtu.be/X773DfBC2qw
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:05 pm

Head does seem pretty small for the body. But you know way more than me.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:09 pm

I want to fill everyone in on what happened at the bait station that this thread is about. The public land bait station that I started 21 days before the season continued to get pounded even though there was heavy hound hunting pressure. I decided to place an experienced hunter on that stand as it was in the middle nowhere but easy enough where one should not get lost :shock: Pre-hunt question & answer period the day before the hunt, (if you get lost stay put...I will come and find you). I prepped the hunter about this bait station as we walked, I marked the entrance trail so he could find his way out. By 8:30 pm I started having concerns that he hasn't returned yet, by 9:00 pm I was really concerned he has not called or checked in, by 9:05 I was in my truck driving the 25 minutes to see if his truck was still at the spot where he left it, by 9:30 and miles away from civilization I rounded the corner on the dirt road and to my horror his truck was still there where he left it. By this time I was in full panic, bad thoughts were going threw my mind, did he fall out of the tree stand, was he hanging from his safety harness, did that Sow with cubs have him treed, was he mauled by one of the bears. I grabbed my portable spot light, head lamp and another extra flash light, slipped my bear spray in the holster on my hip and off I went, it was dead quiet out and started to rain, I speed walked or was it more like a sprint down the old logging road, after a little more than a quarter mile I was almost near the bait station, I stopped, drew a deep breath and yelled the hunters name, off in the distant I heard a faint yell but it was further down the old logging road. Instantly there was relief knowing he's not dead or injured. To make a long short...he got down from his tree stand and it was dark, he made it out to the old logging trail but second guest himself about if he was going in the correct direction, it didn't look familiar to him (every thing looks different in the dark) so he turned around and walked in the opposite direction after 10 minutes of walking he new he was lost so he remembered what I said at the meeting (sit tight...I will find you) and that's what he did...he sat down on a log and waited until it started raining then he crawled under a pine tree and fell asleep. When he finally seen my flash light and walked up to me he said "Man your fast, only 2 hours, I thought I would be out here for at least 4 hours.

Although I have no doubt someone would have shot a bear on that "The Great De-Bait" stand, but we never did hunt that stand again. The experiment was, can you start a bait station just days before the season starts and be successful compared to someone who has started a bait station months before? Absolutely yes without a doubt, BUT WHAT FUN IS THAT! :lol: Hope you guys enjoyed this thread
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:05 pm

8-) thanks for sharing. Your friend must have not been too concerned if he took a nice nap :lol: Glad he was alright
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:12 pm

hunter_mike wrote:8-) thanks for sharing. Your friend must have not been too concernedif he took a nice nap :lol: Glad he was alright

He said he has never been scared of the dark and is very experienced with bears....I told him to buy a GPS :P A week later he shot a nice bear.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”