Traveling bear

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigbucks1234

Traveling bear

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:11 pm

This past weekend my dad filled his tag on a decent bear, this bear had a tag in each ear with a mn dnr# on them. We noticed after looking through our trail cam cards that this same bear was on 2 other bait sites than the one he was killed on. I've heard recently on a couple different podcasts that bear bed 100 yards from the bait and just camp out??? We baited every 3 days putting on 4, 5 gallon pails of bait plus licorice blocks and icings. Most of the bait was cleaned out at every rebaiting. Our baits had a 1 mile distance between them, with multiple bear hitting every bait. What's a guy to conclude with after this revelation?? No natural foods in the woods? Plenty of bear thus competition for there bait ? He liked our bait and was willing to keep moving for it?? Obviously this bear was making the rounds with our baits as well as probably some of the other bear we got on cam.

Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: Traveling bear

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:52 pm

This was posted in On Wisconsin Outdoors over a month ago...the date is wrong on the picture, it is from this year.
Bear expert Mike Foss of NWO is also one of our longtime writers.  He sends this trail camera photo above taken from one of the bear baits. Meet “Traveler”, an estimated 500 pound bear captured one week in a swamp on camera and 7 miles away on another camera just one week later. NWO has 30 bear baits going over 35 square miles.  You won’t believe some of the bruisers they’re seeing. Soon, you will too.

Bigbucks1234-The bears that camp out at bait stations are the ones that are truly committed to that bait and it is there home range. There are many bears that are wanderers "travelers" that will hang out only for a few days at a time. I believe most traveler bears are mature adults "boars" that will venture further and have no fear of entering another bears territory. Placing bait stations only one mile apart you are most likely to get some of the same bears hitting them.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:25 am

I have a bear hitting two baits quite frequently 3 miles apart as the crow flies. Bear is tagged with a blue ear tag.

Three miles is quite close and nothing for a bear to travel ...........numerous days has hit both baits in the same day.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:06 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:I have a bear hitting two baits quite frequently 3 miles apart as the crow flies. Bear is tagged with a blue ear tag.

Three miles is quite close and nothing for a bear to travel...........numerous days has hit both baits in the same day.

Ya, if you think about it, even for us humans its nothing to walk a few miles in a short time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”