2017 bear line up

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

2017 bear line up

Postby dan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Picks and brief story only. All comments will be deleted. If you shot a bear in 2017 post pic here (if your having issues posting the pic ask me or one of the mods in a pm.

Freelance Bowhunter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Re: 2017 bear line up

Postby Freelance Bowhunter » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:08 am

Okay I'll start.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:24 am

One of my most heartfelt hunts. Destination Frog Holler. My oldest son and I came across this spot earlier this year. It had potential. It was on the highland but it held water (and frogs) almost year round. Plus it was surrounded by oak laden ridges. I started this bait site in July. It wasn't a strong producer early but once the acorns started dropping it became red hot. I spent the early part of the season chasing a couple P&Y bears elsewhere, but those sites were on the decline. They peaked with the berries and declined with them. I intentionally allowed this site to stack through the first few days of the season. It didn't have a mega bear, but it held a sure thing.

On Sunday, I baited this site about 10:30 am. Came home, caught up on some yard work, and played with the kids. Headed back to the site around 2 PM only to discover the site had already been hit. It was going to be a good night.

I set up almost directly west of the bait site, slightly north. Wind was out of the SSE. Best bears were wallowing in the hole NW of the bait. Open pocket to my north created a vacuum that pulled my scent slightly easterly. This setup gave the bears confidence to approach before daylight, much like hunting slightly off winds with most big game. However, the wind wasn't steady so I had my doubts the wind would fall and scent would pool last light.

At 3:30 PM ish, I heard a stick snap and saw a good bear coming in from the north. He stopped in some thick cover and just watched. I'm sure he could smell my skin rafts from a couple hours earlier so I did my best to stay still despite a swarm of mosquitoes. After he got comfortable enough, he got a little closer and smelled the site up close. This put the bear at 5 yards, face to face, stare down, heart pumping so hard I think he can hear it. Wind got a little touch and go and I could sense he wasn't comfortable. I thought he was going to bolt. He backed off to about 15 yards on a big high stump, sat down, and observed for about 10 minutes. Finally he relaxed a bit and came a little closer. At 9 yards, I slipped an arrow into him and he ran off into the thick, stopping momentarily after the initial shock of the hit.

Moments later, I heard the death moan so knew it was should be done deal. An hour or so passed I started tracking. And I tracked and tracked and tracked. No blood. I was baffled as it was solid double lung / heart shot.

I then started grid searching in a 400 yard perimeter. I couldn't understand why I couldn't find this bear. He had to be there. No luck. So I walked back to beginning for the fourth time and sat on stump 65 yards north from the last time I saw him thinking about who I should call during the Packer game. I was just trying to replay it all in my head. Where did I screw up? It was then I got the smell of a wet hide. I followed my nose and found him 40 yards from last spot. Moments later I was speechless. Seemingly in shock. A cathartic moment no doubt. It was done. Black bear from the ground with the recurve. Mission accomplished.

Melting snowflakes one at a time.
swampyak
500 Club

Postby swampyak » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:09 pm

With the dry weather we were having I was having trouble getting any time off from work due to the high fire danger. I looked like I would have only one day off to hunt so that took some of my selective nis out of the hunt. The evening before my day of we got a small amount of rain in the afternoon so I had an opportunity for a short hunt in the evening. The bait I picked had a few different nice bears hit it but nothing very consistent. Well it was a nice evening with no bears sighted. This wasn't overly surprising.

I hoped to get to a different bait early the next morning, but it was the kids first day back to school and they have a tradition of taking pics just before they leave that morning. I decided that I should stay home long enough in the morning to take their pics then head off to the stand. I probable got into the stand around 8am. The wind was barely right for the site. Unfortunately as the morning progressed the wind shifted to strait at the bait. I have a very hard time hunting any stand with the wrong wind, but I knew this would be my only chance to hunt this bait this year. I decided to stick it out until 10:30, enjoy the scenery and forget about the wind (no I didn't have scent lock) There was plenty of activity from the squirrels and the blue jays. The squirrels would stash bait in the trees then the jays would steal it and relocate it.

I then headed home to work on some projects. I loaded my bear sled and ramps incase I was successful. I also wanted to bring a come a long but mine was missing in action.

About 1:30 I headed out to my last bait site for the evening hunt. Unfortunately this bait is on a wma so I couldn't use a camera. I had noticed that a bear had a light trail merging about 100yds from the bait unto my trail. If I had more days to hunt this is were I would have set up. Since I wanted to increase my odds of seeing any bear and not eating tag soup I setup 20yds from the bait.
Here is a pics from the stand. There is a beaver pond about yrds from the bait. At 5:30 I saw a nice bear coming out of the woods. It hesitated for a second then started to stand up. I decide that it had been a while since I had shot a standing bear so I shot it in the sternum with my muzzleloader, heard it run a short distance then all was quite. I then snuck out of my stand and went and got my pickup that was parked about 1 mile away. When I got back I went and checked on the bear and was happy to see that it had only ran about 20 yds. I then took down my stand and carried it out to the truck, brought the sled back in and proceeded to slooowly drag the bear back out. When I got the bear part way up the ramp I greatly regretted not having my come a long. After many tries more bron than brain won out and it was loaded. I stopped on the way home to close the bait site that I had hunted that morning. I had enough daylight to take pics, skin and quarter the bear. :D By 3am I had all the meat broke down, packaged and put away.
49bzonebhunter

Postby 49bzonebhunter » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:52 am

Hunt story - This was the 3rd bait I swapped cards in camera and re-baited on Wednesday morning the opening day for Zone B baitsitters. I left the bait at 8:15 and went back to our trailer to have breakfast and look at all of the pictures. I made the decision to hunt this bait by my uncle after I had over 900 pictures since Saturday and had bears visiting every day during the daylight. My other options were on our property where a sow and cub just moved in (I had them on camera the week before at my uncle's which is about 2 miles away) or on my public land bait where someone started driving their truck down the snowmobile trail in the last week after I was the only one walking back there for months.

I got back out in the stand at 10:00 and the mosquitoes were terrible so I had to use my Thermocell to keep them at bay. Around 10:35 or so, I heard a noise and I got the feeling that a bear was coming so I kept scanning around everywhere trying to figure out where it was going to pop out. It stepped out very close to the bait about 5 minutes later or so. I immediately starting sizing it up and decided it was a shooter after I saw the size of his head and figured it was a boar. I then watched it open up the cover on the bait while waiting for it to turn broadside. As soon as it did, I shot and it took off at a dead run into the thicker woods and within seconds I heard a crash. I waited about 15 minutes and then packed up everything onto my 4 wheeler and headed back to get my uncle to help me get it out. After a short tracking job through some very thick woods, we found it laying at the base of a tree.

Due to the warmth on Wednesday and not wanting the meat to spoil, we were unable to bring it somewhere to get weighed so all we have is an educated guess of 175-200 lbs. It took 3 of us all we had to lift it into the back of my truck so the estimate should be fairly close. While skinning it we also measured it at roughly 57" long from tip of nose to base of tail.

Return to “Bear Hunting”