NWO BEAR HUNT

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dthree

Re: NWO BEAR HUNT

Unread postby Dthree » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:26 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:Head shot = Pissed off Bear if not lucky enough to be lethal...

We had a still hunter shoot one in the head with a 300WM. There was blood for a ways and then nothing. Two years later, we killed that bear he weighed 570 pounds, his bottom jaw was shattered and the front canines on the bottom were healed into the gum pointing out on each side but separate from the rest of the jaw. Crazy what a animal can recover from. We killed it a couple hundred yards from where he was shot the first time.

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:38 pm

Dthree wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:Head shot = Pissed off Bear if not lucky enough to be lethal...

We had a still hunter shoot one in the head with a 300WM. There was blood for a ways and then nothing. Two years later, we killed that bear he weighed 570 pounds, his bottom jaw was shattered and the front canines on the bottom were healed into the gum pointing out on each sidebut separate from the rest of the jaw. Crazy what a animal can recover from. We killed it a couple hundred yards from where he was shot the first time.

Did the bears canines look something like this? Meet Snaggle Tooth
https://youtu.be/zs-nmLjiLyc
Dthree

Unread postby Dthree » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:26 am

Mike Foss wrote:
Dthree wrote:

We had a still hunter shoot one in the head with a 300WM. There was blood for a ways and then nothing. Two years later, we killed that bear he weighed 570 pounds, his bottom jaw was shattered and the front canines on the bottom were healed into the gum pointing out on each sidebut separate from the rest of the jaw. Crazy what a animal can recover from. We killed it a couple hundred yards from where he was shot the first time.

Did the bears canines look something like this? Meet Snaggle Tooth
https://youtu.be/zs-nmLjiLyc
Yeah, looked a lot like that. They pointed out to the sides a little more where it had shattered between the two and they healed up pointing out some.

Is that a bear yall have killed? Any idea what happened to him or how long he's been like that?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:59 am

No we didn't kill him but I wrote stories about him all the time and hunted him for years. Do not know what happened to his jaw, he was over 20 years old, If I remember right, I believe his jaw was broken in 3 places. Snaggle Tooth was a legend and a awesome Northern Wisconsin Bear.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:26 pm

Last night I'm in Milwaukee for my Sons wedding and tonight in am in Northern Wisconsin dragging bears :dance: Had two hunters tonight...they both got there bears, 300lb sow and a 140lb sow.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:45 pm

Great way to cap off the weekend. :clap:
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:01 pm

Not the biggest Sow we ever dragged out of the woods 300lbs, but it will be one of the oldest, missing teeth, yellow chipped teeth etc. It will also score PY. This hunter hunted hard, he was after another monster bear, passed on a few, went home and came back and was hunting a big bear we call Bed Maker. It was his first night on stand (Sunday) when this Sow showed up, ironically this sow just started coming to this bait station, it was her 3rd visit. Bed Maker beat us at his own game again, he's the winner. :clap: We will see ya next year Bed Maker!
LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT HEAD!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:25 pm

Big ole’ noggin. :shock:
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:51 pm

Holy sow.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:21 am

In the field Picture...gives you an idea how fat this bear was. When skinning she had 4 inch's of fat :o on parts of her body.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:48 am

Wow! :clap:
bradbear

Unread postby bradbear » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:05 am

Hi, I was the hunter that was sitting on the big bear Mike posted On Sept 15th and killed the sow in his last post. I knew going in how good that first bear was and was not going to shoot anything else for at least the first week. Since its most likely the bear my brother also tried for first last year I knew that it may be a week of sitting with an unfilled tag. Well that bear seemed to have my time in the stand pegged and didn't' seem to want to eat while I was there! So I went home with an open tag, no big deal for a chance at such a big bear. Rob called me and asked if I could run back up last Sunday as Bed Maker was back and they got permission to hunt him for 5 more days. So I got my brother to work for me and back up I went.
When I got there Rob told me that Bed Maker was still consistent right about 7:00 and that 2 nights before about a 300 # sow hit the bait also. I knew from talking to the hunter that missed BM the first night and the hunter on the previous Sunday that saw him and couldn't get a shot that Bm would come from behind a big tree stick his head out and check the stand, if he saw a hunter he would turn away and be gone. I took a bow holder to screw in over my shoulder to use as a rest so that I could have the gun up and waiting for him to peek around the tree. Well a little after 7:00 the bear popped out more towards the bait then BM had......turns out that is because it was the sow and not BM! At the shot I heard it run over a little knoll and then nothing. It took us a little bit to find some blood and then it only took us a little bit to find her. She only went about 40 yards. Though not Bed Maker she is a awesome 300# bear with a big old pumpkin head and teeth that are showing her age.
Had a great time with NWO, awesome lodge, great helpers, very fun hunters. A big THANKS to NWO
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:11 am

bradbear wrote:Hi, I was the hunter that was sitting on the big bear Mike posted On Sept 15th and killed the sow in his last post. I knew going in how good that first bear was and was not going to shoot anything else for at least the first week. Since its most likely the bear my brother also tried for first last year I knew that it may be a week of sitting with an unfilled tag. Well that bear seemed to have my time in the stand pegged and didn't' seem to want to eat while I was there! So I went home with an open tag, no big deal for a chance at such a big bear. Rob called me and asked if I could run back up last Sunday as Bed Maker was back and they got permission to hunt him for 5 more days. So I got my brother to work for me and back up I went.
When I got there Rob told me that Bed Maker was still consistent right about 7:00 and that 2 nights before about a 300 # sow hit the bait also. I knew from talking to the hunter that missed BM the first night and the hunter on the previous Sunday that saw him and couldn't get a shot that Bm would come from behind a big tree stick his head out and check the stand, if he saw a hunter he would turn away and be gone. I took a bow holder to screw in over my shoulder to use as a rest so that I could have the gun up and waiting for him to peek around the tree. Well a little after 7:00 the bear popped out more towards the bait then BM had......turns out that is because it was the sow and not BM! At the shot I heard it run over a little knoll and then nothing. It took us a little bit to find some blood and then it only took us a little bit to find her. She only went about 40 yards. Though not Bed Maker she is a awesome 300# bear with a big old pumpkin head and teeth that are showing her age.
Had a great time with NWO, awesome lodge, great helpers, very fun hunters. A big THANKS to NWO

Congrats! I might give it another try this weekend.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:14 am

Its starting... This is the type of weather I was talking about in another post, the seasons are changing... frost warnings up here... when you know when warmer weather is coming in "That's the time to hunt" those bears will be more active again. Not that you cant kill one in cooler weather!
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:42 pm

One of Roberts hunters "Dennis" came back up today to try his luck today, he was put him on one of my stands "Rock Bait" and he shot a nice 170lb boar. The bear came in around 6:50 but was extremely cautious, circled a few times, came under the hunters stand, looked like he was leaving then turned around and walked under his stand again, then started to commit to the bait station but Dennis didn't let him get that far. PAWS IN THE AIR...Nice to get another one down this late in the game :dance:

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”