WI zone c bear hunting

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERHUNTER57

Re: WI zone c bear hunting

Unread postby DEERHUNTER57 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:27 am

So got back up Thurs morning hunted Thurs, Fri, Sat nights, Bait site being cleaned out every night by 2 bears , Camera showed them coming in 30 -40 minutes after I leave my stand and they stay for about a 1 1/2 hours then leave. I believe most people around me have given up. Never thought Zone C in Jackson County central forest was that heavly bear hunted. Seemed to have guys baiting just for the sayk of baiting around me but never hunting have never heard a shot. Hope this trend continues next weekend and that these (2) bears don't have my routine down going to throw everything except the kitchen sink at them next weekend.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:13 am

DEERHUNTER57 wrote:So got back up Thurs morning hunted Thurs, Fri, Sat nights, Bait site being cleaned out every night by 2 bears , Camera showed them coming in 30 -40 minutes after I leave my stand and they stay for about a 1 1/2 hours then leave. I believe most people around me have given up. Never thought Zone C in Jackson County central forest was that heavly bear hunted. Seemed to have guys baiting just for the sayk of baiting around me but never hunting have never heard a shot. Hope this trend continues next weekend and that these (2) bears don't have my routine down going to throw everything except the kitchen sink at them next weekend.

a lot of guys run bait and check cameras. they only hunt if there is consistent daylight activity. so my guess, the other hunters are dealing with inconsistent / nocturnal bears. plus, many zone C hunters aren't as under as much pressure to fill there bear tag. They can draw one at least every other year, sometimes every year vs. waiting at least 4 years in Zone D, 7 years in Zone A, or 10 years in Zone B
DEERHUNTER57

Unread postby DEERHUNTER57 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:52 am

forecast for this weekend is calling for some rain, Do bears come in and hit bait site if raining? or just a light drizzle? Thanks
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Light to moderate rain no problem.

Heavy rain and wind can be tough. Soon as the rain stops, get ready.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Agree with Hodag. Right after rain is PRIMO. I've had OK activity in drizzle as well.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:00 pm

X3 go get em after the rain.. in my opinion baiting in zone c seemed to get a little tougher once the upped the tags they gave out a few years back.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:18 am

Get em. Get in when it's raining to knock your scent down. Put tons of scent out and throw the best bait you have left at them. It's crunch time and most guys have given up. You'll get one. Just need a little luck!
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
DEERHUNTER57

Unread postby DEERHUNTER57 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:50 pm

My zone C recap, Last time I hunt bears was back in 1991 in Ashland county did shoot a small bear, Fast forward to 2017 (kids all grown up, married and out of the house) decided to try a DIY bear up by my cabin in Jackson county hunted on State and county land. Never realized how many bear bait/hunt that area even though we have had our cabin and 80 acres and hunted deer going on 15 years now. Started out with high expections when I started baiting the July 4 weekend. Daytime hits every single time, then when the locals started (about 2 weeks before season) everything started getting more noctunal and hits every 2-4 days. First 2 weeks of the season were terrible only 3-5 hits in those 2 weeks, then the hot spell, bears got back on my bait the last week and half. but all after dark. I did learn alot, made some mistakes. Haven't yet decided yet to try for kill tag next year or wait 2 years. Thanks everyone for your support, encourgement, and advice. Now on to bowhunting for deer.
Miranda Helms

Unread postby Miranda Helms » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:04 am

Agree with Freelance Bowhunter.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”