Advice for wv bears

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kane0928
Facebook: Alexander James kane

Advice for wv bears

Unread postby Kane0928 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:55 am

Guys, im new to bear hunting and im making it a personal goal to put all I got into getting one this season with free time off from college. I've hunted bears the past three years in the wv mountain and strip mines. I don't have dogs and can't bait. I've been hiking and playing the wind hoping to sneak up on one which I know is hard. I've seen four. Had to pass on two from being a mom and a cub and the other two didn't get a shot in time from early September foilage. Im looking to have a better game plan. Like habit stuff to look for terrain features food preferences anything to help. I have time to bow hunt 4 day stretches every week and school ends at the beginning of the gun season in December which is hard to hunt from a still hunt perspective from the pressure dogs put on them by that point. All help and advice is appreciated in advance
-alex kane

Hatchet Jack

Re: Advice for wv bears

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:08 am

i hunt across the state line in Virginia, what im going to try this year is a predator call like a dying rabbit etc. had two pass about 80 yards down the point from me in early season last year and dint have a way to get their attention. all my sightings have been around mid afyernoon around 230-3 and near laurel
Kane0928
Facebook: Alexander James kane

Unread postby Kane0928 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:27 am

Thanks I'll give that a try I have a foxpro I thought about using. I was wondering about getting there attention if I go out with my bow and need to try to get them to closer distances.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:37 am

I get a lot of bears on camera in terrain features/funnels just like deer. If you are bowhunting, I would look for bear sign and sit on the closest funnel with wind in my favor or right on the food source if it is good enough. There is so much food this year though it is hard to pinpoint a bear. I would say hickory nuts are good, but there is just so much mast this year bears can eat anything.

If you are gun hunting I would recommend walking/still hunting in areas with a lot of bear sign with the wind in your favor. I have killed a couple bears early gun season doing that. Plenty of bears out there this year, they are just hard to find with food everywhere and even harder to pattern.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:02 pm

We've done a podcast on bear hunting and the guy we had on has shot multiple bears with a bow. He give some good tips on hunting in what I would believe is a very similar terrain to WV. Check out Episode 10, it may help you out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”