How Many Gallons

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

How Many Gallons

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:05 am

How many gallons a week do you guys use for baits that only get baited once a week?

JAK
500 Club

Re: How Many Gallons

Unread postby JAK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:23 am

If your talking bear baiting. If I was to only bait once a week I'd say 55 gallon drum at the bait stations make it hard for them to get at and put the legal amount in it.
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:43 am

JAK wrote:If your talking bear baiting. If I was to only bait once a week I'd say 55 gallon drum at the bait stations make it hard for them to get at and put the legal amount in it.

Yeah I’m talking bears. We don’t have quantity restrictions but we can’t use barrels on public, which is where I’m gonna be hunting. Do you fill the barrel completely every week? I wonder if if I tied logs together with spacing between logs if that would slow their consumption down. Anybody ever try something like that? I’m gonna Hunt close to home but my schedule Monday-Thursday would make it darn near impossible to get in the woods except Friday-Sunday.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:41 pm

If you have no restriction just make it as hard as it is possible for them to get it. I've always baited a few times a week and 5 gallons doesn't last long when there really hitting it good. 5 gallons is all we can use in wisconsin.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:00 pm

cedarsavage wrote:
JAK wrote:If your talking bear baiting. If I was to only bait once a week I'd say 55 gallon drum at the bait stations make it hard for them to get at and put the legal amount in it.

Yeah I’m talking bears. We don’t have quantity restrictions but we can’t use barrels on public, which is where I’m gonna be hunting. Do you fill the barrel completely every week? I wonder if if I tied logs together with spacing between logs if that would slow their consumption down. Anybody ever try something like that? I’m gonna Hunt close to home but my schedule Monday-Thursday would make it darn near impossible to get in the woods except Friday-Sunday.

logs with heavy rope tied too a tree will work just fine and its not as noticeable. just make sure you tie it off or a big bear will take the whole thing home.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:55 am

JAK wrote:If you have no restriction just make it as hard as it is possible for them to get it. I've always baited a few times a week and 5 gallons doesn't last long when there really hitting it good.5 gallons is all we can use in wisconsin.

JAK.... its 10 gallons in Wisconsin.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:56 am

Mike Foss wrote:
JAK wrote:If you have no restriction just make it as hard as it is possible for them to get it. I've always baited a few times a week and 5 gallons doesn't last long when there really hitting it good.5 gallons is all we can use in wisconsin.

JAK.... its 10 gallons in Wisconsin.

I guess I've been under baiting then :lol:. My bad sorry
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:59 am

I use the legal limit, especially if on public in Wisconsin. Bears seem to eat up that 10 gallons in 1 to 2 days on the best baits. Early on in the baiting season I don't think its important to bait every week, but if I am going thru the effort I put the full amount.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:32 am

dan wrote:I use the legal limit, especially if on public in Wisconsin. Bears seem to eat up that 10 gallons in 1 to 2 days on the best baits. Early on in the baiting season I don't think its important to bait every week, but if I am going thru the effort I put the full amount.

Heck Dan... I have found that 1 bear can easily eat 10 gallons in one day. The best bet to make it last longer is to make them work for it by using small pieces of bait such as a trail mix, nuts ect.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:55 am

Mike Foss wrote:
dan wrote:I use the legal limit, especially if on public in Wisconsin. Bears seem to eat up that 10 gallons in 1 to 2 days on the best baits. Early on in the baiting season I don't think its important to bait every week, but if I am going thru the effort I put the full amount.

Heck Dan... I have found that 1 bear can easily eat 10 gallons in one day. The best bet to make it last longer is to make them work for it by using small pieces of bait such as a trail mix, nuts ect.

Good point.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:17 am

Legal limit. Stay away from lightweight baits....sugar cones, popcorn, etc....stick with "filling baits" preferably smaller size that they can't carry away and need to work for. If possible, place your bait next to a tree/stump with some roots structure. Even dig out some of the dirt from around the roots. The smaller bait will inevitably fall in these cracks and slow them down.
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:49 am

dan wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

Good point.

When you go to Minnesota once a week how much are you putting at each spot?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:16 am

cedarsavage wrote:
dan wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

Good point.

When you go to Minnesota once a week how much are you putting at each spot?

We put out at each bait:
1 bucket of trail mix
1 bucket of cookies
2 buckets of lucky charm marsh mellows
2 buckets of lucky charms cereal
2 buckets of donuts/bread/ candy/ carmel corn etc. mixed in barrels with pie fillings, bags of sugar, and maple syrup.

In the past we also put out a giant bag of pita bread as a base at the bottom of each bait. About 6 buckets worth that everything would soak down into. But, with an extra hunter this time we only did that the 1st time we baited and then stopped cause we just could not haul that much bait up there each week.

We poured a 5 gallon bucket of used cooking oil over the bait after logs were on, we used 1/2 a can of fruit punch coolaid, and several boxs of powdered jello, and some pancake mix, and some sort of cinnamon cooking spice sprinkled over the bait. We also poured 1/2 a bottle of maple syrup over each bait.

Then for oil scents we sprayed several bear scents brand scents on eacxh bait each time we baited. Anise, jelly donut, cherry, bacon, and berry. I also sprayed vannilla extract at each bait. Sprays were done over the logs, on the ground around the logs, up the bear trails, and on several trees, as well as up into the branches.
AND... We had no problems with bears hitting at night.
This was every time we baited. All buckets were packed full, and a number of the buckets were 6 gallon buckets rather than 5. Since we only used the pita bread this trip on the 1st baiting, it really don't count, but With the pita bread it was about 14 buckets of solid bait, 1 bucket of oil. 15 buckets.

Without it 8 buckets of solid bait, one bucket oil. 40 gallons of food bait. Cameras shown it eaten in about 3 or 4 days. The bait where I shot my bear I put all the left over pita bread we had, and the last baiting there was about 60 or 70 gallons... And it really helped keep the bears on that bait. If you are interested, the DIY bear hunting DVD goes into great detail and I consider it my best DVD. ;)
cedarsavage
500 Club

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:24 am

Thanks dan I guess I missed the dvd before I’ll check it out. I guess I could put a couple buckets out on Friday’s and 6-8 on Sunday to keep bait there most of the time. Sounds like I’ll probably need around a 55 gallon drum of bait each week except the first couple. That’s a lot of bait between August 10 and September 25
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:52 am

It really depends on how many bears you have using the bait. I have filled two 55-gallon drums, one with trail mix and one with pastries and gummies, and have had it run out in five days. And that's with a 2-inch hole in the barrel of trail mix so they have to work at getting it out. On public land in Minnesota you can't use a barrel so I use a crib in areas where I plan to just bait once a week and it looks like this.

4-5 bears can clean this up in a week easy. And three of them might be a sow with two cubs.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”