2020 Bear Tags

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
brkissl82
500 Club

Re: 2020 Bear Tags

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:34 pm

Derbooze wrote:
brkissl82 wrote:I really want to do a zone c diy bear hunt but am kind of intimidated. My buddies tell me just get a guide or go to Canada

My brother and I did a DIY hunt in Zone C last year and we had a blast. I learned a lot, and since we drew tags again this year, we are considering doing it again. Our biggest hurdle was getting baits set consistently while balancing work and family. If I could hire someone to just set the bait sites we found... lol!

Did you guys do it on public or did you know someone with land? Either of you shoot one?

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:56 pm

brkissl82 wrote:
Derbooze wrote:
brkissl82 wrote:I really want to do a zone c diy bear hunt but am kind of intimidated. My buddies tell me just get a guide or go to Canada

My brother and I did a DIY hunt in Zone C last year and we had a blast. I learned a lot, and since we drew tags again this year, we are considering doing it again. Our biggest hurdle was getting baits set consistently while balancing work and family. If I could hire someone to just set the bait sites we found... lol!

Did you guys do it on public or did you know someone with land? Either of you shoot one?

Yes I am curious also, finish the story, don't leave us hanging! lol :P
Bhaydin

Unread postby Bhaydin » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:28 am

Mike Foss wrote:Yes I am curious also, finish the story, don't leave us hanging! lol :P

Ha! Well, let me just say that if there is one reason to DIY, it is because setting bait brings with it the added bonus of the endless anticipation of looking at trail camera footage! I don't think my DIY story would be as good as the Bear Hunting podcast episode, but it should entertain veterans and maybe provide some tips for someone looking to DIY this year (or even next). And lets be clear, Zone C doesn't have quite as along a wait as other zones, so you can certainly hunt every other year at the least.

Our story begins almost a year ago when my twin brother and I drew tags together. My brother had shot a bear on a guided hunt in 2015 and I sat in as his back-up shooter. That had me hooked. Two years later we hired a guide, but my twin injured his back during the summer and it was severe enough to prevent him from hunting. I decided this was something I wanted to do together, so we sold our spots and regrouped last year. So when we had an opportunity to hunt again last year, we hemmed and hawed but ultimately decided we would try to do it on our own.

So the first week of June, I set out to scout the areas that we were targeting, all which appeared to have good bear habitat. For bait, I was using a homemade recipe of popcorn, marshmallows, peanut butter, syrup and raspberry jello. The folks at my (volunteer) fire department thought it sounded and tasted delicious. As it turns out, so did the bears. We started baiting two times per week at 4 sites. When I went to the first pile, the bait was gone! Trail camera footage? Racoons... Second pile was more of the same. But the third pile was different. A small bear definitely hit it, and the trail camera proved it. Same with the third, although it was a sow and two cubs.

We quickly learned that if we wanted our baits to outlast the coons, we had to beef up where we dug holes to place our bait and fortify the area with more logs. In hindsight, I wish I would have made some stumps as I think it would have better protected our baits. Not only from critters, but the rain as well. We continued baiting twice per week up until the end of July. As the temperatures warmed up, the deer flies came out in swarms. If there is any hesitation I have about baiting again, it is those damn flies!

In August we were baiting more frequently - at least three times per week, sometimes four. I kept using the same bait recipe since in my mind if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Well, as you can imagine, about 1 week before season started, this worked just fine with regular hits,. Throughout the summer, we had a good mix of bears stopping by, some big, some small, but most just about average. We were both a little concerned that baits were not hit as hard the week before the season started. Still, I think we were pretty pumped heading into the start of the season.

So the first day of the season, I was ready to hunt. with my brother coming up Friday. The site I chose to start with sat in an opening near a creek leading from a swamp. It had the best point of entry based on the wind conditions, and had been the most frequently hit leading up to the season. When I checked to restock the bait, it showed no signs of being hit. So up a tree I went. While mostly quiet, in the late morning, I heard a very distinctive grunt. I swore I saw a flash of black, but through the thick brush, I really couldn't see anything. But a minute later, I heard the same grunt coming from another direction. For the next 5 minutes, I kept hearing this same grunt from different points all around me, almost as if I was being circled. Eventually the grunts stopped. Aside from some porcupines, squirrels, deer and other creatures, that was the only sign I had.

The second day was much like the first. I chose a different site, this time using a ground blind (ghostblind) and setting up about an hour before shooting hours. The bait was not hit by any bear, but I restocked it and sat in for the . Maybe 30 minutes into my sit, and still in pitch black, I heard the same guttural grunt I heard the day before, with perhaps some faint sounds of shuffling. That was unnerving! But much like the day before, I had no bear sightings, just hunches that I was winded. That afternoon, I checked the other baits, and all had gone cold.

So on Friday, we switched things up. I ran to a local bait supplier for some hardier bait - breaded almonds, peanut butter, etc. along with some scent to lay down. The afternoon sit was quiet. I met my brother at camp that evening and we regrouped to come decide on which bait piles to hunt. The good news is that our piles started getting hit after that point. The bad news, is that despite freshly stocked bait piles, we just never saw a bear in the open. Occasional flashes of black, several grunts, and then quiet. Weather was not as good as it got a little cooler, on and off rain, but overall still fun. On Sunday, I saw the biggest bear yet on camera, but alas it just wasn't meant to be. Rain came in the afternoon, which was kind of fitting in the end.

We learned a lot, we made adjustments, and I am sure this year will be better than last. We haven't decided on whether we will hunt DIY or hire a guide, but I would happily DIY my hunt again.
Bhaydin

Unread postby Bhaydin » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:31 am

I should also mention, we hunt on public land. Typically at least a half-mile in, and often more than a mile. I never saw a soul, which either means we were far enough back in, or we were in the wrong spot. You choose!
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:03 am

Great story thanks for sharing, it gets in your blood. When I had my guide service I always encouraged bear hunters, if you can DIY there is a great satisfaction in doing so. Good luck this year
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:58 am

bhayden, you really need to come to my bear hunting seminars at the Madison Field & Stream show. There's a lot of subtle things you mentioned that probably didn't help your success, I go into a lot of detail on this stuff. Little things make a big difference. I'd enjoy talking to you about it.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:35 pm

Bhaydin wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:Yes I am curious also, finish the story, don't leave us hanging! lol :P

Ha! Well, let me just say that if there is one reason to DIY, it is because setting bait brings with it the added bonus of the endless anticipation of looking at trail camera footage! I don't think my DIY story would be as good as the Bear Hunting podcast episode, but it should entertain veterans and maybe provide some tips for someone looking to DIY this year (or even next). And lets be clear, Zone C doesn't have quite as along a wait as other zones, so you can certainly hunt every other year at the least.

Our story begins almost a year ago when my twin brother and I drew tags together. My brother had shot a bear on a guided hunt in 2015 and I sat in as his back-up shooter. That had me hooked. Two years later we hired a guide, but my twin injured his back during the summer and it was severe enough to prevent him from hunting. I decided this was something I wanted to do together, so we sold our spots and regrouped last year. So when we had an opportunity to hunt again last year, we hemmed and hawed but ultimately decided we would try to do it on our own.

So the first week of June, I set out to scout the areas that we were targeting, all which appeared to have good bear habitat. For bait, I was using a homemade recipe of popcorn, marshmallows, peanut butter, syrup and raspberry jello. The folks at my (volunteer) fire department thought it sounded and tasted delicious. As it turns out, so did the bears. We started baiting two times per week at 4 sites. When I went to the first pile, the bait was gone! Trail camera footage? Racoons... Second pile was more of the same. But the third pile was different. A small bear definitely hit it, and the trail camera proved it. Same with the third, although it was a sow and two cubs.

We quickly learned that if we wanted our baits to outlast the coons, we had to beef up where we dug holes to place our bait and fortify the area with more logs. In hindsight, I wish I would have made some stumps as I think it would have better protected our baits. Not only from critters, but the rain as well. We continued baiting twice per week up until the end of July. As the temperatures warmed up, the deer flies came out in swarms. If there is any hesitation I have about baiting again, it is those damn flies!

In August we were baiting more frequently - at least three times per week, sometimes four. I kept using the same bait recipe since in my mind if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Well, as you can imagine, about 1 week before season started, this worked just fine with regular hits,. Throughout the summer, we had a good mix of bears stopping by, some big, some small, but most just about average. We were both a little concerned that baits were not hit as hard the week before the season started. Still, I think we were pretty pumped heading into the start of the season.

So the first day of the season, I was ready to hunt. with my brother coming up Friday. The site I chose to start with sat in an opening near a creek leading from a swamp. It had the best point of entry based on the wind conditions, and had been the most frequently hit leading up to the season. When I checked to restock the bait, it showed no signs of being hit. So up a tree I went. While mostly quiet, in the late morning, I heard a very distinctive grunt. I swore I saw a flash of black, but through the thick brush, I really couldn't see anything. But a minute later, I heard the same grunt coming from another direction. For the next 5 minutes, I kept hearing this same grunt from different points all around me, almost as if I was being circled. Eventually the grunts stopped. Aside from some porcupines, squirrels, deer and other creatures, that was the only sign I had.

The second day was much like the first. I chose a different site, this time using a ground blind (ghostblind) and setting up about an hour before shooting hours. The bait was not hit by any bear, but I restocked it and sat in for the . Maybe 30 minutes into my sit, and still in pitch black, I heard the same guttural grunt I heard the day before, with perhaps some faint sounds of shuffling. That was unnerving! But much like the day before, I had no bear sightings, just hunches that I was winded. That afternoon, I checked the other baits, and all had gone cold.

So on Friday, we switched things up. I ran to a local bait supplier for some hardier bait - breaded almonds, peanut butter, etc. along with some scent to lay down. The afternoon sit was quiet. I met my brother at camp that evening and we regrouped to come decide on which bait piles to hunt. The good news is that our piles started getting hit after that point. The bad news, is that despite freshly stocked bait piles, we just never saw a bear in the open. Occasional flashes of black, several grunts, and then quiet. Weather was not as good as it got a little cooler, on and off rain, but overall still fun. On Sunday, I saw the biggest bear yet on camera, but alas it just wasn't meant to be. Rain came in the afternoon, which was kind of fitting in the end.

We learned a lot, we made adjustments, and I am sure this year will be better than last. We haven't decided on whether we will hunt DIY or hire a guide, but I would happily DIY my hunt again.

Great story!!
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:36 pm

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:bhayden, you really need to come to my bear hunting seminars at the Madison Field & Stream show. There's a lot of subtle things you mentioned that probably didn't help your success, I go into a lot of detail on this stuff. Little things make a big difference. I'd enjoy talking to you about it.

When are you there I'd like to learn some of these tips. All my buddies say I'm dumb for doing a public land diy bear hunt but that makes me wanna do it more
Derbooze

Unread postby Derbooze » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:40 pm

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:bhayden, you really need to come to my bear hunting seminars at the Madison Field & Stream show. There's a lot of subtle things you mentioned that probably didn't help your success, I go into a lot of detail on this stuff. Little things make a big difference. I'd enjoy talking to you about it.

I will definitely sit in! We kept learning from our mistakes or mishaps, and a lot of it was little things. But not gonna sugarcoat it, we made some big ones too early on. But I look forward to picking your brain.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:20 pm

Derbooze wrote:

I will definitely sit in! We kept learning from our mistakes or mishaps, and a lot of it was little things. But not gonna sugarcoat it, we made some big ones too early on. But I look forward to picking your brain.

Yes, advice from someone else will help but with hands on experience is where you will learn the most.
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:26 pm

The seminar schedule should be out any day, it will be here: https://www.fieldandstreamexpo.com/outd ... -expo-r-wi

Normally I have at least one per day but sometimes two on Saturdays. I'll be hanging out at the Northwoods Bear products booth quite a bit when I'm not in seminars. I guarantee you some really good nuggets that will help, I wish I had someone to cut some of the mistakes off my learning curve, which is what I endeavor to do in these seminars.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:36 am

Freelance...are you doing any shows in Minnesota? Reason I ask is we have a show coming up at where I work in March
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:38 am

I have been doing bear seminars at the deer classic but not this year, it's the same weekend as the Michigan Field & Stream show.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:28 pm

A successful diy bear hunt is about as rewarding as it gets. You fall in love with the process, gather and mixing bait, choking on horseflies, sweating balls on bait runs, picking ticks, etc. Sounds like you have the itch. Finishing the deal yourself. It will give you an unprecedented sense of accomplishment.
Persistence is undefeated.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:22 am

218er wrote:A successful diy bear hunt is about as rewarding as it gets. You fall in love with the process, gather and mixing bait, choking on horseflies, sweating balls on bait runs, picking ticks, etc. Sounds like you have the itch. Finishing the deal yourself. It will give you an unprecedented sense of accomplishment.

I always enjoyed having hunters venture up before the season started to help me out, it gave them a better appreciation to what all goes into the hunt and after a full days work some would say I cant believe you do this day after day. I always have said if you can DIY, then do it! :clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”