Favorite Bear Baits

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Northwoods_Nomad

Favorite Bear Baits

Unread postby Northwoods_Nomad » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:55 am

What’s everyone’s favorite bear bait to use?

bigbucks1234

Re: Favorite Bear Baits

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:58 am

Free bait,,, lol

Trail mix seems to work pretty good. We're also using gummy bears, licorice, different flavored frostings French toast bread, corn, oats, molasses and dog food.
Our baits are constantly changing with different varieties of food. Never more than 3 rebaitings with the same stuff. The theory there is to keep them interested in it longer. A week before the season, like now we throw down our best trail mix. It worked great for us 3 year's ago and hopefully it'll payoff again.
Aaroncurtis

Unread postby Aaroncurtis » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:53 am

I personally think the most important thing when it comes to baiting is giving them a variety of quality baits. Some people will disagree but I think some bears will get bored with baits if it’s always the exact same thing. Now to answer the original question If I could only use one bait it would be chunk granola. From what I can see on my cameras the granola we use seems to be one of the first things they will tear in to. Last fall a local paper wanted to do a story about the bear I killed last fall and the guy who wrote the column asked me how many donuts I used for bait. I laughed and said “none”. He was super confused and I explained to him that getting donuts from bakeries had become super competitive and it generally is not worth the hassle for me. The last two seasons all we do is go to one of the Aunt Millies bakery outlets and buy the bread that is past its sell date. They sell it for really cheap and I generally can fill up the bed of my truck for $50-75 bucks. We then will get powder sugar, brown sugar, white sugar, and put all the breads in a big feed sack and shake it all up and bam you got donuts. The breads are a good way to get a lot of volume out and the loose granola in the shaker barrels will help keep them at the baits for a long time which helps create a lot of competition.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:17 am

Don't have a ton of experience but the past couple years we've used trail mix type stuff. This year was a little bit of trail mix and candied almonds with some licorice mixed in but some of the licorice didn't seem to get eaten. We also took some butter cream frosting and lined our hollow bait logs with it. Seems like anything small that they just can't grab a bunch of at once and then sneak off into the brush with it.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:36 am

bcarey2 wrote:Don't have a ton of experience but the past couple years we've used trail mix type stuff. This year was a little bit of trail mix and candied almonds with some licorice mixed in but some of the licorice didn't seem to get eaten. We also took some butter cream frosting and lined our hollow bait logs with it. Seems like anything small that they just can't grab a bunch of at once and then sneak off into the brush with it.

Licorice doesnt get eaten very fast....seen many videos where there were piles of the stuff left behind, same with cones, but not as bad. All the bears this year and most of the years eat all the nuts, they will sift threw everything else to eat the nuts first, make sense though if you were a bear :lol:
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:16 am

Seems like with trail mix too, you're not overloading them with sugary stuff either but its got enough of everything that they keep coming for it.
homelessadam

Unread postby homelessadam » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:14 pm

I really like bread soaked with old grease and it’s usually free or dirt cheap.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”