Need advice from the bear experts...

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MrT
500 Club

Need advice from the bear experts...

Unread postby MrT » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:49 pm

So my question doesn't specifically relate to hunting bears. More so deer hunting areas with bears.

An area I hunt has been continuously increasing in it's bear population. Last week I had 2 close encounters with bears. First one was a large bear within 25 yards. Second was 2 1-2 year old bear cubs within 10 yards. I tried to run them off and stomped my stand platform a few times. They were not scared one bit and were very curious to what I was. One actually growled at me and climb a nearby tree almost as high as I was. I was very nervous that the mom might come by and find me in the tree next to her cubs. They finally went away after 15 minutes.

So what should I do as a precautionary measure against the bears? Bear season in these parts doesn't come in until November. Also, I'm not allowed to carry a firearm during bow season.

Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: Need advice from the bear experts...

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:41 pm

It should be your constitutional right to carry a firearm. Go buy some bear spray for personal protection while hunting and just hunt, those bears are more curious than ever, they will not hurt you.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:05 am

I'm in a similar situation, we have way too many bears, can't carry during bow season, and no hunting season for them. Most of the ones I encounter have zero fear or concerns of my presence, they often come in to check me out, they are very curious. I started carrying bear spray last year and haven't had to use it yet. Some of the confrontations I have had in the past have been very dicey, especially when I'm on the ground. The big thing is you have to be confident and not scared of them, they can sense that. I'm still working on it, they used to scare the heck out of me. With the bear spray on my hip I feel very confident and I'm almost daring them to try something and they seem to know it.
Randyflash

Unread postby Randyflash » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:20 am

MrT wrote:So my question doesn't specifically relate to hunting bears. More so deer hunting areas with bears.

An area I hunt has been continuously increasing in it's bear population. Last week I had 2 close encounters with bears. First one was a large bear within 25 yards. Second was 2 1-2 year old bear cubs within 10 yards. I tried to run them off and stomped my stand platform a few times. They were not scared one bit and were very curious to what I was. One actually growled at me and climb a nearby tree almost as high as I was. I was very nervous that the mom might come by and find me in the tree next to her cubs. They finally went away after 15 minutes.

So what should I do as a precautionary measure against the bears? Bear season in these parts doesn't come in until November. Also, I'm not allowed to carry a firearm during bow season.

Not sure what state you are hunting but in Michigan we can carry during bow season if you have a CPL. I have had similar issues as you and went to get my license this year for just that purpose.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:33 am

Randyflash wrote:
MrT wrote:So my question doesn't specifically relate to hunting bears. More so deer hunting areas with bears.

Not sure what state you are hunting but in Michigan we can carry during bow season if you have a CPL. I have had similar issues as you and went to get my license this year for just that purpose.

I'm in NC. It appears I misread the laws. MOST public land I am allowed to carry a firearm. However, any public boat access I must have CPL. So if I'm accessing by water that's where they could get me. I need to go ahead and get that.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:37 am

Mike Foss wrote:It should be your constitutional right to carry a firearm. Go buy some bear spray for personal protection while hunting and just hunt, those bears are more curious than ever, they will not hurt you.

I will at the very least get some bear spray. I'm not really scared of them hurting me, but I would prefer to be prepared if I run into a mom with her cubs.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:10 am

2 more run ins with the bears. One with a mom and one 2-3 year cub. Turned around and they were 40 yds from me. They were not afraid of me, so I slowly backed out of there and they slowly followed me almost back to my truck.

I tried hunting this area from the otherside the next day and ran into both 2-3 year cubs. I tried to let them pass by. I thought they had gone but apparently they only laid down and heard me. The one cub growled at me and crawled up and down a tree. At one point it looked like it was going to charge me but I think ot was bluffing. I had a .45 in my hand the whole time but I still decided to back out of there.

I gave up on hunting this area and now my permit for the area has expired. I left a nice 10 pointer in there.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:04 am

MrT wrote:2 more run ins with the bears. One with a mom and one 2-3 year cub. Turned around and they were 40 yds from me. They were not afraid of me, so I slowly backed out of there and they
 ! Message from: Mike Foss
slowly followed me almost back to my truck.

I tried hunting this area from the otherside the next day and ran into both 2-3 year cubs. I tried to let them pass by. I thought they had gone but apparently they only laid down and heard me. The one cub growled at me and crawled up and down a tree. At one point it looked like it was going to charge me but I think ot was bluffing. I had a .45 in my hand the whole time but I still decided to back out of there.

I gave up on hunting this area and now my permit for the area has expired. I left a nice 10 pointer in there.

Is this area near human dwellings? if so it could be people are feeding the bears thus losing there fear of humans otherwise that is very strange they have no fear.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:00 pm

Mike Foss wrote:
MrT wrote:2 more run ins with the bears. One with a mom and one 2-3 year cub. Turned around and they were 40 yds from me. They were not afraid of me, so I slowly backed out of there and they
 ! Message from: Mike Foss
slowly followed me almost back to my truck.

Is this area near human dwellings? if so it could be people are feeding the bears thus losing there fear of humans otherwise that is very strange they have no fear.

Not really. It's in farm country alongside a river. However, there is a private club nearby that I suspect uses feeders.

I'm puzzled by how they act as well. I was always told that bears are usually afraid of humans and will run away. I've had 4 encounters around this 60 acre area trying to hone in on this one buck and not once did the bears run away. They almost seem curious to what I am, like they've never seen a human before.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:14 pm

If you have a conceal and carry license I would. It seems bear spray might be a great option. When it comes to personal safety I’d lean to protecting myself over a law I don’t agree with and seems stupid. It’s that simple.
Persistence is undefeated.
Groundpounder

Unread postby Groundpounder » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:12 pm

Carry spray and use it if they are unafraid, gun as a backup. Bears are individuals and intelligent. Chances are you won't have a problem but you carry spray and gun for those small percentages. It's not about being tough or the guy with a gun, it's about staying alive if an attack happens.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:24 am

MrT wrote:2 more run ins with the bears. One with a mom and one 2-3 year cub. Turned around and they were 40 yds from me. They were not afraid of me, so I slowly backed out of there and they slowly followed me almost back to my truck.

Wowza you are into the bears, I wouldn't hang around the cubs too much, just not worth it even for a ten pointer if you are seeing them that much and they are investigating what you are and getting a little aggressive here and there. I hunt bear country and see them a fair bit but I would guess for every encounter I have there could be dozen of them I don't know about, the bears up here seem to fear people much more than your area.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:45 am

They aren’t going to hurt you, I would go hunt that buck your after.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:12 am

What Mike said!! Go kill that 10pt.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:25 am

Listen to Mike Foss!
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”