My "Goat on a rope" tale

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bud TN

My "Goat on a rope" tale

Unread postby Bud TN » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:24 am

For my goat on a rope tale.... Firstly, I was FINALLY able and blessed enough to take my first bear. I grew up coon hunting and deer/hog/bear hunting, but mostly on coon hunted up until the end of high school.
I never had a problem with bearing hunting with dogs, it just wasn't in my wheel house.

After having early success on a great buck this year (see long night ahead post), I decided I wanted to focus on bear hunting.

For some reason that i couldn't put a finger on, I just never had a desire to take a bear behind a pack of dogs (again i have no issues with it).

so here's my very first bear story...

out of me, my dad and my (deceased) grandfather, we all wanted to kill a bear. They (we) all tried for years with no success. I'm still young (40), but I had all but let that bucket list item go.

With all the scouting improvements I've made for deer, It has also increased the rate of bear sightings as they often use the same areas. I had one particular spot that was hard to access, no close road access, high on a mountain, that over the last 3-4 years once dogs start hitting the woods i'd noticed bear sightings increase. During archery season (coincides closely with dog training season), i hiked the mountain to check my cameras and found 3 good bears using the spot REGULARLY (and no dogs to be found).

It rained almost all weekend of opening bear season. I kept watching for any windows in the weather. I found a short 3 hour weather break and decided i'd go for an afternoon sit.
I figured my probability of seeing anything was low and it was still raining when I set out. so I set out for an ultra-light hunt....gun...rain gear...knife...flashlight and an inflatable @$$-gasket to just sit on the ground with.

I got to my stand around 4pm and sat down between a big rock and a red oak tree. thankfully the rain stopped but was still dripping from the trees and my wind was blowing perfect for the spot. at 5pm, I heard some twigs snapping behind me...I was sitting right between 2 game trails and figured I'd better stand up and peak over the rock to watch for whatever was making the sound.

as I watched i saw something black pop out within 10 yrds of me just down the hillside...it was a bear!!! i pulled up my gun...waited for my opening and squeezed the trigger.

to my amazement, the bear took off like a rocket and crossed through the holler i was watching and ran out of sight (didn't appear to be injured in the slightest).
Needless to say, i was shocked that the bear didn't drop in his tracks :shock: :o i was shooting a 7mm mag. i was kicking myself that i'd missed my first chance at a bear... :doh: :doh:....i got up and started looking for blood/hair....poop/pee...lol just ANYTHING....to let me know that i'd actually hit the bear....and i saw nothing...i looked for an hour and never saw a single drop of blood. I was just dumbfounded at how i missed that bear at 10 yrds...it was practically in my LAP!! So i decided i would slowly retreat for the day as it was starting to get dark. about 300 yrds away was the head of another cove that was on my way out. so i figured i'd go sit in that cove till dark. i slowly worked my way over to the ridgetop and peeled off my rain jacket and hat to cool off. as I sat and watched i caught some movement out of the corner of my eye. i looked and stood up to peer around some trees....and as i scanned down the holler, i saw a black blob.

i pulled up my gun and waited to confirm my suspicions. Once i saw the ears pop up, lets just say i took care of business. I'm about 2 miles from the closest dwelling and i'm surprised they couldn't hear me hooting! lol :dance: :lol: :dance: :lol: i'd FINALLY been blessed to take my first bear!.......

AND to top it off, thankfully!! it was the bear I THOUGHT I had missed previously which makes the ending even better to this story!!! :pray: :dance: i had hit the bear square in the shoulder and successfully caught up to it as it circled back. I found the slug still stuck in the shoulder while skinning it out. (150# dressed, sow, by the way).

I never could quite put my finger on the reason I never wanted to dog hunt till I watched Dan's "goat on a rope" video, then it all kind of clicked in my mind......I just wanted to take my own bear, on my own terms...no bait (not allowed here anyhow)..no dogs, by myself, no one putting me on a stand......just plain old mountain hunting... 8-).......... and NO "goats on a rope" ;) ;)

to me....that's what it's all about and I couldn't be happier!! :D 8-) 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: My "Goat on a rope" tale

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:44 am

Congrats!!

Great bear and great story.

:clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:50 am

That's a great story! Thanks for sharing and congrats on your first bear!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:24 am

Awesome. That’s a great bear and hunt.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:38 am