Corbin Did it again

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowmike
500 Club

Corbin Did it again

Unread postby bowmike » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:12 am

This weekend was the youth turkey calling contest out in Millerstown, PA. It was a 2 hour trip for Corbin and I. Seems crazy to drive that far for 3 minutes of calling, but to me it is worth it to see him get excited about calling contests. He is only 4 but it gives him something to practice towards and such.

Well we got there, and got registered and I knew Corb needed to blow off some pent up energy. LOL

What better way then jumping on a 3d deer target and riding it, or chucking some rocks in the river.

This contest was a little more strict than some. Some contest you are allowed to help the poults with gestures or slight instruction, like rolling your hand to signal do another call set or something like that. This one was strict and the only thing I was allowed to do was to hand him his call. This made me a little nervous but we practice pretty often, but the previous week was hectic.

Time to draw numbers. Corbin drew 1 and 7. In the GNCC rules if you draw one you get to go twice. That way no one technically has to go first, as who ever draws that number 1, does not get to count that first run.

I will say that he did luck out with drawing 1, because on his first run he got a little nervous and didn't put any rhythm to his Kee Kee Run. Kind of just did "kee, kee, kee, kee, kee, kee" On his long box. Why they had that in the poults is beyond me but I know that It helped his secure a place.

After that first run I took him back and told him:

"Corbin, remember our song that Daddy told you to remember what the baby turkey is saying to his momma?"

" COME FIND ME
COME FIND ME
COME FIND ME

HELP! HELP"

His second run was pretty darn good if I may say so. His kee rhythm was good and he put a couple extra yelps on there.

When it was all said and done. Corbin placed 3rd out of 6 kids. I was really proud of him because I could not do any gestures, or coaching help at all. He did this all on his own. He was also the youngest kid there as well.

You can see the age gap he has to deal with at some of these. LOL he doesn't back down though. He does say sometimes "Daddy, they are bigger than me" but he always stays pretty cool on stage.

I had him hold my Mike Lapp long box for the picture. I know that without it he may not have placed. Everyone knows I am a Lapp fan but when you can make a longbox that a 4 year old can run, and sound pretty good, you are a darn good call maker.

It was a hot one 95 degrees out that day. So it was a pretty quiet ride home.

When we got home I snagged a picture of the calls he used to get his award.

I love contest calling, and Corbin and I have fun together doing it. There wont be very many until after the hunting seasons are over, so we can take a bit of a break. I plan on taking him out with me a little bit fall turkey hunting to let him use some of his calling skills.

NEXT YEAR I' HOLDING OUT FOR A BIG ONE!!
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Re: Corbin Did it again

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:20 am

Thats awesome! Way to go Corbin and Dad!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:21 am

8-) :clap: :clap:
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:36 am

That's cool. It's all about the kids. They can put things in perspective

[ Post made via Android ] Image
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:36 am

Good stuff! Congrats Corbin!
vermonthunter16
500 Club

Unread postby vermonthunter16 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:28 am

Sweet!!! He is gonna be great to have around in a few years when you are turkey hunting and don't wanna call. :lol:

Seriously though, good on him :D
-Rick

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”