FROM THE FIELD 2017 TURKEY SEASON

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: FROM THE FIELD 2017 TURKEY SEASON

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed May 24, 2017 6:31 am

Well, I had an exciting morning! I heard my first gobbling of the season. I had one coming in off the top of a ridge. It got to about 100 yards and just gobbled for an hour straight. I never did get eyes on it. A hen came by at 20 yards, but the tom didn't follow. The tom was heading to a field behind me so I crawled out, and he's was out there about 100 yards. I tried to close the distance, but he must have seem me and ducked back into the woods. Overall an exciting adventure!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Got out for the afternoon again. Sat where I could watch some neighboring private fields. Saw a gobbler about 800 yards out mid afternoon. Then just before the rain hit saw one about 200 yards out. Don't know if I call too loud, too much or he just wasn't interested. Found an interesting spot to try for a mature buck pre-rut, early rut. Not sure about the bedding, just looks like someplace other hunters ignore.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:15 pm

Filled my 2nd tag today after work. Want to thank Burk for the call he sent me before session :handgestures-thumbupleft: it's a fantastic sweet talker!

Now I can relax for 2 days before I leave for vacation 8-)
Joe™
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:23 pm

8-) :clap: :dance:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu May 25, 2017 6:22 am

Good job man!!! Congrats on the bird. Hope you enjoy vacation too
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:52 am

Took a real nice 3 yo with the 10yo joining me in the blind. That's 3 years of opening day good luck with him.

I've then taken my buddies, especially one younger one who appears to have some nasty health issues arising, out on a half dozen other hunts. On birds each time- lots of fun but the darn bad news bears can't win a game no matter how good there coach is. Enjoy my buddies and would do nearly anything for them especially the one down on his luck but so sick of playing guide.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:23 pm

Good stuff gjs4! :clap:

Thanks guys, I'm super excited for vacation! First week off in over 4 years!!! :mrgreen:
Joe™
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:54 pm

Another fruitless afternoon hunt. But I'm pretty sure the deer I saw on the way out were a bachelor group.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat May 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Sitting a roosting area tonight....been hearing a few toms deep In the kettles..... skeeters are horrible thank goodness I remembed my thermacell. I have 3 morningd to get it done. Last season here in Wisconsin! Good luck hunters that are still out there!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun May 28, 2017 5:22 am

BigHunt wrote:Sitting a roosting area tonight....been hearing a few toms deep In the kettles..... skeeters are horrible thank goodness I remembed my thermacell. I have 3 morningd to get it done. Last season here in Wisconsin! Good luck hunters that are still out there!

Bang Dude...Did you hunt every season? Go get-em!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Went out for another afternoon hunt. Turned into a buck bed scout. Kicked 2 deer out of spots that looked like they watched the DVDs. The heat musta been getting to me though. Cause I forgot to get pics for the GPS coordinates. :doh:

I did get pics of the very young fawn I found in a totally different area from the BB's. I'm staying at Big Bro's this weekend and don't have my cord to hook the camera to my computer. So I'll share later.

Go get'em Bighunt!!!!!! :violence-torch: :violence-rambo:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun May 28, 2017 11:51 pm

Forgot to update the last time i went out. I decided to try to find those birds down in the marsh a couple mornings ago. I hauled in my inflatable kayak down to the creek and made my crossing. But i didnt hear any gobbles that morning. Was cool to test out the kayak though. It worked awesome!

I am out this morning. I bumped some birds off the roost in the dark this morning. They were roosted right over the main access road. No gobbles at all though this morning. Its raining pretty hard right now, but i packed in the blind so i am sitting pretty dry. Also brought a very comfy chair and coffee :) The rain is supposed to end soon, i am set up in kind of an open area, hope some birds come out to dry off soon.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:13 am

hunter_mike wrote:Forgot to update the last time i went out. I decided to try to find those birds down in the marsh a couple mornings ago. I hauled in my inflatable kayak down to the creek and made my crossing. But i didnt hear any gobbles that morning. Was cool to test out the kayak though. It worked awesome!

I am out this morning. I bumped some birds off the roost in the dark this morning. They were roosted right over the main access road. No gobbles at all though this morning. Its raining pretty hard right now, but i packed in the blind so i am sitting pretty dry. Also brought a very comfy chair and coffee :) The rain is supposed to end soon, i am set up in kind of an open area, hope some birds come out to dry off soon.

8-) :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon May 29, 2017 8:58 am

tgreeno wrote:
BigHunt wrote:Sitting a roosting area tonight....been hearing a few toms deep In the kettles..... skeeters are horrible thank goodness I remembed my thermacell. I have 3 morningd to get it done. Last season here in Wisconsin! Good luck hunters that are still out there!

Bang Dude...Did you hunt every season? Go get-em!

Well technically I can't hunt every season I was only able to hunt 4 out of the six seasons... but I did take a hunter out for every season and was successful
... and I am happy to report I am officially done I just pounded my 4th tom about an hour ago
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon May 29, 2017 9:51 am

HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”