FROM THE FIELD 2017 TURKEY SEASON

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: FROM THE FIELD 2017 TURKEY SEASON

Postby stash59 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:00 am

hunter_mike wrote:Sounds like an awesome hunt chuck. I am sitting in the woods right now listening for gobbles. First light was supposed to be 4:54 but it seemed to be already getting light out around 430. So much earlier than just a month ago.

Good luck!! Or are you headed to work by now? If so how'd it go?

My brain just couldn't wake up this morning so I shut off the alarm and got some more needed sleep. Things are still a little foggy in there!!! :doh: :lol:

Got some chores that "really" need some attention, but hope to get out for an afternoon hunt.

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
hunter_mike

Postby hunter_mike » Tue May 23, 2017 6:24 am

I had to be back at the truck by 730 so its a short but totally worth it hunt. I was back at the site of my kill from earlier this spring. Not a peep out of that whole hillside but i did go for a walk and located some gobbles down in a swampy area. Hopefully i can make it out for a little early morning swim tomorrow.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Outdoor814
500 Club

Postby Outdoor814 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 am

Going to get out here shortly. I have one tag left and need to fill it by Friday morning! :twisted:
Joe™
stash59

Postby stash59 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:40 pm

Got out for an afternoon evening hunt, Nothing going on. Did find a great vantage point to watch some private fields. With enough of a hump to it that I can make a quick move should something be heading towards the public. If I see stuff that stays out aways at least I may see some patterns. Especially if they head across the road to another public piece. Should all help toward next year too.

Tried coyote howling in a couple spots 20 to 30 minutes after sundown. Nothing. They ripped it up to real coyote howls Sunday morning.

Are you done tomorrow Mike or do you have a tag for F/last season too?

Burk you mentioned a dog whistle. You talking about the high frequency ones humans can't hear or the ones the bird hunters use?
burkhart

Postby burkhart » Wed May 24, 2017 12:09 am

stash59 wrote:Got out for an afternoon evening hunt, Nothing going on. Did find a great vantage point to watch some private fields. With enough of a hump to it that I can make a quick move should something be heading towards the public. If I see stuff that stays out aways at least I may see some patterns. Especially if they head across the road to another public piece. Should all help toward next year too.

Tried coyote howling in a couple spots 20 to 30 minutes after sundown. Nothing. They ripped it up to real coyote howls Sunday morning.

Burk you mentioned a dog whistle. You talking about the high frequency ones humans can't hear or the ones the bird hunters use?

Correct high freq.
hunter_mike

Postby hunter_mike » Wed May 24, 2017 1:45 am

I have one more week chuck. I may get out a few more times.
stash59

Postby stash59 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:05 am

hunter_mike wrote:I have one more week chuck. I may get out a few more times.
8-)

Gotta love those left over tags.
thwack16
500 Club

Postby thwack16 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:11 am

burkhart wrote:
stash59 wrote:Got out for an afternoon evening hunt, Nothing going on. Did find a great vantage point to watch some private fields. With enough of a hump to it that I can make a quick move should something be heading towards the public. If I see stuff that stays out aways at least I may see some patterns. Especially if they head across the road to another public piece. Should all help toward next year too.

Correct high freq.

Burk... you serious?! :lol:

Dad bought into that and has one in his vest from many moons ago. It was always a joke to blow that sucker after the birds had stopped gobbling when I was a kid.

It never worked...maybe he had a dud :lol:
burkhart

Postby burkhart » Wed May 24, 2017 3:20 am

thwack16 wrote:
burkhart wrote:

Correct high freq.

Dad bought into that and has one in his vest from many moons ago. It was always a joke to blow that sucker after the birds had stopped gobbling when I was a kid.

of course I am.
alot of my hunting buddies used to laugh at the use of a gobble shaker too. another tool I used to shock gobble and actually call in birds with. as with most things its all in what you Believe works
thwack16
500 Club

Postby thwack16 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:36 am

burkhart wrote:
thwack16 wrote:
burkhart wrote:

Correct high freq.

of course I am.
alot of my hunting buddies used to laugh at the use of a gobble shaker too. another tool I used to shock gobble and actually call in birds with. as with most things its all in what you Believe works

I'm a fan of a gobble shaker as well.
stash59

Postby stash59 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:38 am

I just ordered one. Supposed to be here tomorrow.

So what are the tricks to getting it to work? Any special way to blow it burk?
burkhart

Postby burkhart » Wed May 24, 2017 7:24 am

stash59 wrote:I just ordered one. Supposed to be here tomorrow.

So what are the tricks to getting it to work? Any special way to blow it burk?

:lol: too funny... no that's the trick. give it a 2 second or so breath then stop and listen
hunter_mike

Postby hunter_mike » Wed May 24, 2017 7:52 am

A couple weeks ago at my house there were some bald eagles flying around making a bunch of noise. I was surprised, the turkeys in my neighbors backyard were gobbling their heads off at it. Go on youtube and listen to bald eagle vocalization. I bet you could replicate that with a dog whistle
tgreeno
500 Club

Postby tgreeno » Wed May 24, 2017 8:31 am

Well, I had an exciting morning! I heard my first gobbling of the season. I had one coming in off the top of a ridge. It got to about 100 yards and just gobbled for an hour straight. I never did get eyes on it. A hen came by at 20 yards, but the tom didn't follow. The tom was heading to a field behind me so I crawled out, and he's was out there about 100 yards. I tried to close the distance, but he must have seem me and ducked back into the woods. Overall an exciting adventure!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
stash59

Postby stash59 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:02 pm

Got out for the afternoon again. Sat where I could watch some neighboring private fields. Saw a gobbler about 800 yards out mid afternoon. Then just before the rain hit saw one about 200 yards out. Don't know if I call too loud, too much or he just wasn't interested. Found an interesting spot to try for a mature buck pre-rut, early rut. Not sure about the bedding, just looks like someplace other hunters ignore.

Return to “Turkey Hunting”