NY turkey hunting

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mbucks27

NY turkey hunting

Unread postby mbucks27 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Me and my brother hunted hard in NY for the first week of the season he shot a Jake and I got a nice Tom. Week was cold and wet and windy and it was tough hunting. Here is a video of the week. Unfortunately he had to leave the day I shot mine and he was self filming the day he shot his and couldn't get the shot on film. Hope you guys enjoy. We will be back at it again this weekend and hopefully will get some good kills on film.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1jTU_PLXs ... e=youtu.be

jman22
500 Club

Re: NY turkey hunting

Unread postby jman22 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:55 pm

Nice video. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your success.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:41 am

Awesome job man.

It looks like we are back in the upswing fro bird numbers. Have had a great season here as well.

Where do you guys hunt?
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:55 am

Great job!! Congrats on the birds. 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance: :handgestures-thumbup:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:26 am

I agree gjs4. I'm right in the middle of the state and have definitely seen more birds this year as well. Birds have been pretty quiet off the limb, but I'm hoping things will pick up soon.
mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:46 am

Thanks guys we hunt both Greene and schoharie counties. First week was really quiet but we some some decent birds around. Took this weekend off for mother's day but will be back up next weekend. Good luck to whoever will be be out!
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:48 am

I will bet the fam that coyote presence has more to do with pockets of birds and their propensity to be vocal than anything else. It all changes yearly, or less, too
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
mbucks27

Unread postby mbucks27 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:09 am

Yea I have noticed that also. Have seen coyotes in the field where I used to see turkey all the time. Haven't seen on there this year all season so far.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:36 am

gjs4 wrote:I will bet the fam that coyote presence has more to do with pockets of birds and their propensity to be vocal than anything else. It all changes yearly, or less, too

I completely agree with that statement. I either see or inadvertently call a few yotes in every year while turkey hunting and I'm sure most guys that hunt NY can say the same. It's been pretty slow in general for me the last week and a half. I'm hoping the sporadic cold and wet weather also had the birds quiet.

It's been hard for me to glass birds from the roads lately with the hay getting higher and the corn stalks still standing in the fields. Farmers will be out in full force this week as the weather is going to be dry with temps in the 80's, so you can bet they' ll be getting their corn and beans in the ground. I've always had good luck hunting over freshly plowed ground .

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”