Big woods and late season

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

northeast beast

Big woods and late season

Unread postby northeast beast » Tue May 23, 2017 12:08 pm

Last weekend here for me in ny...I'll be hunting big woods and I have not scouted. I hope to get on a bird by covering ground and calling.... any suggestions...when I hunt small wood lots I sit and call and wait because they sneak in without gobbling..is that a waste of time to sit for 30minutes and call blindly with no calls back in the big woods? It's late season and the big woods I'm talking about 2000 state land acres...also I was planning on going out late morning and skipping fly down because a bunch of veteran turkey guys told me not to bother...

keepthefevercalls

Re: Big woods and late season

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Tue May 23, 2017 1:17 pm

Pick a high spot on a topo map and get in early. If you hear birds at least you can get a general idea on where they are. If not, take a nap till 9 and start walking and calling! Unless you come across really fresh sign I wouldn't bother sitting.
Also, doesn't hurt to try different calls than what most are using.
Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Tue May 23, 2017 2:02 pm

keepthefevercalls wrote:Pick a high spot on a topo map and get in early. If you hear birds at least you can get a general idea on where they are. If not, take a nap till 9 and start walking and calling! Unless you come across really fresh sign I wouldn't bother sitting.

X2 and if it was my last time hunting for the season I wouldn't skip the roost/fly down time if I didn't have to.
GWsaddleuser

Unread postby GWsaddleuser » Tue May 23, 2017 2:30 pm

I like setting up to 2 hrs on public land. Soft calls aND lots of scratching in the leaves work great. I will usually stop calling 30 min and stop scratching in the leaves 20 min before I move to another area. I will also throw in some wing flaps like when a turkey will flap some just to stretch out its wings while they feed along. Most birds that I have taken on public land will come in quite, so if you hear something, don't pop your head around to see what it is......could be that tom.
Took me 4 hrs to kill my oldest bird. I did my regular routine as mentioned above. Two hrs into the sit, I could hear drumming coming from behind me, then I heard leaves moving. This bird stayed behind me for nearly an hour and 15 min then he slipped in from my left rear and he died at 12 yard. My body was numb from waist to toes, I could not get up. I'll never forget that hunt.

A Mississippi hill bird-
22.2#
3 beards - 4.5, 7 5/8 & 10 3/4
Spurs - 1 5/8 & 1 4/8
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue May 23, 2017 5:31 pm

keepthefevercalls wrote:Pick a high spot on a topo map and get in early. If you hear birds at least you can get a general idea on where they are. If not, take a nap till 9 and start walking and calling! Unless you come across really fresh sign I wouldn't bother sitting.

Good info here

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”