Best turkey load IMO

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Best turkey load IMO

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:35 am

When I run out of Magnum Blend I will likely go-to handloading TSS....but that could be a very long time as my flintlock is my primary turkey gun now.

My buddy actually shoots TSS from his flintlock. Flintlock barrels are made of pretty soft steel and I'm hesitant because of the hardness. Could score the bore causing rust from trapped powder fouling...and could bulge the fixed choke.

I was doing like 130 in a 10" circle with my last choked barrel at 30yds. That's plenty for me... without a chronograph, it's an unknown of what my velocity is so I don't push the issue...though it seems to work well.

First Sit

Re: Best turkey load IMO

Unread postby First Sit » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:16 am

I use heavy magnum blend. I hunt mainly heavily pressured public and kill most my birds 10-35 yds, I usally don't shoot over 45 yds. I can't really think of any off hand in the 10 yrs I've turkey hunted that I didn't get because I didn't shoot over 45 yds. It seems If I can get em inside 70 I can at least get em to 45. A lot of mine have been under 25, sometimes they take a while to commit in there I've talked back and forth with birds for 1-2 hours before killing em.

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”