Hen? Jake? None?

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Emrah

Hen? Jake? None?

Unread postby Emrah » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:19 pm

If you were able to buy just one and only decoy, what would it be? Not necessarily brand but jake or hen? What position, etc?

Will be bow hunting both in and out of ground blind.

Emrah

Ack

Re: Hen? Jake? None?

Unread postby Ack » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:34 pm

You really can't go wrong with any of them. I've had luck with no dekes, just a hen, just a jake, just a strutter, etc.

I usually hunt with multiple dekes per set, but with that setup the birds go to my strutter first every time.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:50 am

Lone standing hen. Spend some money and get a good one. The cheaper ones that look fake will spook a gobbler once he gets close. A realistic looking decoy is more important than the position.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:50 am

I plan on getting a good one. Not DSD good but maybe Avian X good. I've called them in with and without, but I figure a decoy ups my odds. Was just curious if lone hen is better than lone jake. I'm leaning towards hen.

Emrah
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:48 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:Lone standing hen. Spend some money and get a good one. The cheaper ones that look fake will spook a gobbler once he gets close. A realistic looking decoy is more important than the position.

X2
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:56 pm

burkhart wrote:Dad upright hen

Have to say, those Dad hens are my favorite! Lol. Gotta love auto correct. :lol:
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:32 pm

If only one, I would use the Hen.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:02 pm

Chuck B wrote:If only one, I would use the Hen.

Upright? Feeding?

Emrah
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:43 am

Emrah wrote:
Chuck B wrote:If only one, I would use the Hen.

Upright? Feeding?

Emrah

Good question, one of which I am not exactly sure. I know mine is upright, and works well.... I am guessing you'd have good results with either.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:47 am

I would only use good decoys Dsd or avian x

I like a feeding hen or bedded hen. Not alert or upright but that's just me. But a Jake at the right time might work the best. But I use hens and decoys as more of a distraction, especially when hunting with kids or when calling for someone. You have to sit still(I dislike blind hunting) when you don't have them because they are looking for something which that in general or having no decoys works really well too.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:17 pm

burkhart wrote:Poses matter as much as calling and all other factors. I feeding hen shows clam and contentment. Laying hens are obvious, upright hens are more lookouts and alert poses.

Similar to jakes and head colors and snood length it all means something.

If I had to pick a feeding hen Would be my choice. Next would be upright and then a Jake either half strut or upright with a red head

Agreed with this gentleman
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:20 pm

Ack wrote:You really can't go wrong with any of them. I've had luck with no dekes, just a hen, just a jake, just a strutter, etc.

I usually hunt with multiple dekes per set, but with that setup the birds go to my strutter first every time.

Agreed as well
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:12 pm

100% Feeding Hen. Probably Avion X, or there is another really high end brand but I can’t remember the name. We used the partial strut jake with 2 hens last year, brought 2 Toms in opening morning. One was real weary I think he caught my movement, and the second came in strutting and put on a show. So if I only had 1 choice it would be hen, but I almost always set up with 2 hens and some kind of jake decoy.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:19 pm

Never had any issues with birds committing to my upright DSD hen. Actually, her posture really riles up the hens at time......had hens come in and peck, strut and vocalize trying to get her to move. Really is quite entertaining, and sometimes the vocalizations draw in the toms as well.

Also, I would advise against any of the submissive dekes, mainly because they are so low to the ground birds cannot see them from a distance if there is any kind of ground cover.
Emrah

Unread postby Emrah » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:04 am

Ack wrote:
Also, I would advise against any of the submissive dekes, mainly because they are so low to the ground birds cannot see them from a distance if there is any kind of ground cover.

This is my only fear of feeding hen vs. upright hen. I don't hunt empty plowed fields or anything. There's always talker grass to contend with. Decisions, decisions!

Emrah

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”