Live from the field 2020

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jmitch

Re: Live from the field 2020

Unread postby Jmitch » Sat May 16, 2020 2:06 am

Yesterday was a wash out. Not a single gobble. Wet and fog made for a quiet morning by me. Got on one just after he flew down i think. Answered once or twice and gobbled a few other times than went quiet. Sat on him for 30 to 40 minutes and not a peep before i had to leave for work. Getting a little trickier with the leaves on the trees when you dont have one roosted. Cant hear very far at all in the woods right now. Need to be pretty much right in top of them but hearing that gobble and surprising you when you are right on top of him never gets old.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat May 16, 2020 11:35 am

So much for the hilly stand of oaks bordering the swamp I saw on the aerials...

20200515_182435.jpg

My expectations for the area went down the commode.

But, I did find a really cool corridor of rubs about 75 yards long that came off a thick, brushy point in the swamp. Very few trees of any size there, but as Trout just said :lol: as Dan says, sign don't lie. I've seen rub lines before, but not a thick tunnel like this and for such a long distance.

But, my turkey hunt is probably toast for today. Maybe I can bust my hump to a new place by roosting time.

The search goes on tomorrow...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat May 16, 2020 1:12 pm

Trying to hear a gobble from a roosted turkey is a challenge when there are several pairs of nesting Sandhills nearby... :roll:

And the spring peepers. Wow! My ears are blown out.

The terrain and habitat diversity is outstanding, but I could not hear them roosting to save my life. Could barely hear the barred owls when they started up.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun May 17, 2020 1:47 am

Went to an area that I heard roost gobbles before. Heard some again, but this time they were on private. (might have been closer to the boundary before, but these were solidly on private)

Thought I'd throw a Hail Mary pass and call. Waited 15 minutes until I heard a shotgun blast in the woodlot where I heard the roost. So much for that.

Bounced to a new area. Promising timber hill terrain was once again thinned out, allowing these 2-foot flowery weeds to blanket the understory. Not sure if turkeys avoid that like the plague or not.
----------
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun May 17, 2020 5:22 am

Gobblers are moving this morning on one of my cell cams in Iowa. They must know the season is done there. :lol:

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun May 17, 2020 7:00 am

Decoys out. I fell asleep and when I woke up a hen was dusting herself between me and the decoy on the left. You might be able to make out the dusting spot. There were two and she used both. About 10 yards away and she worked 270 degrees around me. Never saw me. Video would have been nice, but I would have gotten busted.

Thanks to Ack for teaching us about these areas. Took a guess and set up.

Now just gotta see if a tom shows up.

BTW, she was stone quiet the entire time she was around.

20200516_134611.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun May 17, 2020 10:03 am

Dewey wrote:Gobblers are moving this morning on one of my cell cams in Iowa. They must know the season is done there. :lol:

It ain't over till tomorrow afternoon... have a buddy looking to fill a tag... GPS coordinates?
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun May 17, 2020 10:09 am

muddy wrote:
Dewey wrote:Gobblers are moving this morning on one of my cell cams in Iowa. They must know the season is done there. :lol:

It ain't over till tomorrow afternoon... have a buddy looking to fill a tag... GPS coordinates?

I must have looked at the dates wrong. Didn’t see anybody hunting earlier this week when I was there.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun May 17, 2020 10:12 am

Dewey wrote:
muddy wrote:

I must have looked at the dates wrong. Didn’t see anybody hunting earlier this week when I was there.

Yup. Just double checked I looked at the 2019 dates. :doh:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun May 17, 2020 2:58 pm

My hide from before with the decoys. I must say that it was outstanding. :lol:

20200516_153054.jpg

Only problem was that hen was the only one who partook of the dusting spot.

Pulled up stakes and went deeper (the dusting area was right off the access path not far from the gate... Overlooked)

The place is amazing. Hugely diverse in terrain, from tamarack swamps to cattail marsh to oak tall timber to oak savanna to planted pines and some steep hills. That said, there are walking paths that make it easy.

To sum it up, no other birds seen or heard. Covered a lot of ground and saw a bald eagle (far left in the pic) but while it was entertaining, the tag was not filled.

20200516_174010.jpg

So the grand total after 2 long days is several birds heard on the roost but just off of public, no toms seen and about 5 hens. A grind, particularly as I'm driving out of my home zone every day... Who thought that was a good idea?? :doh: :lol:
----------
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:51 am

Been off the "net". Hanging out at my buddies. Literally! Been sleeping in the hammock. Private land jake killed Friday afternoon. Full story to follow later.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 19, 2020 2:25 pm

Congrats Stashski!

Went out hoping to hear one on the roost for a morning strike but it was too windy to hear anything or probably be heard.

I don't have tomorrow to burn, so Season 5 is done for me.

One more week at redemption. :D
----------
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue May 19, 2020 2:56 pm

Congrats stash :clap: :clap:
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Wed May 20, 2020 1:41 am

Stash you da man!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed May 20, 2020 2:03 am

This mornings dog walk.

The hens got skittish, but the big boys were itching to square off and didn't even begin to move until we got within 30 yards.

And these neighborhood birds tick me off. :lol:

20200519_082135.jpg
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”