What dedicated turkey gun

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NYBackcountry
500 Club

Re: What dedicated turkey gun

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:38 am

backstraps wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
Redman232 wrote:I think it largely depends on how you turkey hunt. If you're sitting in a blind I don't think it matters. I've tried using a benelli and a browning semi auto, my turkey hunts usually end, wet, muddy and bloody. Both guns jammed, I've returned to the same 870-12 ga i've had since I was 10. Its long and heavy, I think ideally I'd like to have a 20 gauge, pump, youth model with a synthetic stock, pistol grip with an eotech or aimpoint on top.

I don’t use a blind. I like being mobile. I got my turkey this year on my 3rd set up of the day. I’ve been using just a Remington 870 express. The maximum range is 30-35 yds. I want something that will reach out to 50

Rem 870 3.5” Magnum
Polish the barrel
XR tube and XR longbeard #5

The range your looking for will be a chip shot

Im a run n gunner too. Thats my exact setup

Polishing the barrel is huge. I tested a new Rem 870 Turkey before and after
Customer was pleasantly surprised when he test fired afterwards

Can you explain what you do to polish the barrel?

Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:01 am

NYBackcountry wrote:
backstraps wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:
Redman232 wrote:I think it largely depends on how you turkey hunt. If you're sitting in a blind I don't think it matters. I've tried using a benelli and a browning semi auto, my turkey hunts usually end, wet, muddy and bloody. Both guns jammed, I've returned to the same 870-12 ga i've had since I was 10. Its long and heavy, I think ideally I'd like to have a 20 gauge, pump, youth model with a synthetic stock, pistol grip with an eotech or aimpoint on top.

I don’t use a blind. I like being mobile. I got my turkey this year on my 3rd set up of the day. I’ve been using just a Remington 870 express. The maximum range is 30-35 yds. I want something that will reach out to 50

Rem 870 3.5” Magnum
Polish the barrel

X2
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:35 am

Moose wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:
backstraps wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:

Rem 870 3.5” Magnum
Polish the barrel

X2

Okay, so with the instructions... you are basically doing a deep clean. Then followed up by polish. The reduced drag resistance makes a HUGE difference.

If you guys dont mind, I will share an old link with you. I do the exact same procedures, using the exact chemicals and components

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php?topic=182.0

You will want to do this somewhere like your garage, outside etc

Another side note.... if your barrel is camo, you may want to tape the last couple inches up. When the residue comes out of the barrel and soaks into the catch cloth, those chemicals can make a noticeable difference in the camo, and/or remove the camo.

Please feel free to ask any questions that I may be able to help you with
I can search my old pc files and show you pics of before and after on a new barrel.

Also...if you already know how your guns patterns, great. If not, shoot some test loads at whatever distance you like. Then compare the exact range and loads after you polish.

It’s also fun to snap before and after pics of the bore!!!
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:22 pm

backstraps wrote:
Moose wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:
backstraps wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:

Rem 870 3.5” Magnum
Polish the barrel

X2

Okay, so with the instructions... you are basically doing a deep clean. Then followed up by polish. The reduced drag resistance makes a HUGE difference.

If you guys dont mind, I will share an old link with you. I do the exact same procedures, using the exact chemicals and components

Another side note.... if your barrel is camo, you may want to tape the last couple inches up. When the residue comes out of the barrel and soaks into the catch cloth, those chemicals can make a noticeable difference in the camo, and/or remove the camo.

I can search my old pc files and show you pics of before and after on a new barrel.

Also...if you already know how your guns patterns, great. If not, shoot some test loads at whatever distance you like. Then compare the exact range and loads after you polish.

Awesome, thanks for the link, much appreciated.
Sloepoke20

Unread postby Sloepoke20 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:51 pm

I use a 12 gauge, Mossberg 535 with 22 inch barrel and a truglo Red dot. Not overly expensive and gets the job done. 3 1/2 LongBeard XR either #5 or #6. It does have some recoil.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:41 am

If a guy likes to tinker a little bit, a 20 gauge is the way to go. I went through the needing a 12 ga 3 1/2” mag to kill a turkey 20 years ago. I started to rethink all of my firearms after I had shoulder surgery and one of the incision scars was directly where I shoulder a gun. I dropped back to a 3” 12 ga but finally saw the light of a 20 ga turkey gun about 10 years ago. I started loading my own TSS shells and no longer had to be at the mercy of chasing lot numbers and recipe changes that ammo manufacturers make from year to year.

I’ve got a few different dedicated 20 ga turkey guns depending on who is using them. My two go to guns are a Rem 870 20 ga with 21” polished barrel, cheap undertaker choke, ati collapsible stock, Nikon turkey pro scope and my other killer is a Franchi Affinity 20 ga with 26” barrel, trulock choke, Burris FF3 mounted on Burris speedbead mount.

Both of these will put 300 or so pellets in a 10” circle at 40 yards. I am no way undergunned carrying a lighter, easier to handle, lighter recoiling 20 gauge.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:42 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:If a guy likes to tinker a little bit, a 20 gauge is the way to go. I went through the needing a 12 ga 3 1/2” mag to kill a turkey 20 years ago. I started to rethink all of my firearms after I had shoulder surgery and one of the incision scars was directly where I shoulder a gun. I dropped back to a 3” 12 ga but finally saw the light of a 20 ga turkey gun about 10 years ago. I started loading my own TSS shells and no longer had to be at the mercy of chasing lot numbers and recipe changes that ammo manufacturers make from year to year.

I’ve got a few different dedicated 20 ga turkey guns depending on who is using them. My two go to guns are a Rem 870 20 ga with 21” polished barrel, cheap undertaker choke, ati collapsible stock, Nikon turkey pro scope and my other killer is a Franchi Affinity 20 ga with 26” barrel, trulock choke, Burris FF3 mounted on Burris speedbead mount.

Both of these will put 300 or so pellets in a 10” circle at 40 yards. I am no way undergunned carrying a lighter, easier to handle, lighter recoiling 20 gauge.

I would agree with this. I bought the kids a normal 870 youth 20 gauge and have done zero tinkering aside from putting a extra full choke in it and a red dot on top of it. With a regular 2 3/4 pheasant load it was patterning really well at 30 yards. My boy killed a bird at 41 steps last spring with it with 3" HeviShot Triple Beard blend shells. There was probably a little luck involved with that shot but still, that little youth gun is racking up the kills. 9 birds in 3 springs with a few open tags yet to go this year.

I am really leaning towards getting a 20 ga 1187 for myself.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:14 pm

backstraps wrote:
Moose wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:
backstraps wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:

Rem 870 3.5” Magnum
Polish the barrel

X2

I am merely quoting this post so it will be easier for me to find later.

Thx for this.

Actually a question. Are you finding denser patterns, increased range or both?
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:33 pm

PK_ wrote:
backstraps wrote:
Moose wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:
backstraps wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:

Rem 870 3.5” Magnum
Polish the barrel

X2

I am merely quoting this post so it will be easier for me to find later.

Thx for this.

Actually a question. Are you finding denser patterns, increased range or both?

Both

I have had some guns pattern “too tight” 25yds and under. The patterns looks like softballs and make those adrenaline stoked shots a little easier to miss a bird
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:36 pm

WV Bowhunter wrote:If a guy likes to tinker a little bit, a 20 gauge is the way to go. I went through the needing a 12 ga 3 1/2” mag to kill a turkey 20 years ago. I started to rethink all of my firearms after I had shoulder surgery and one of the incision scars was directly where I shoulder a gun. I dropped back to a 3” 12 ga but finally saw the light of a 20 ga turkey gun about 10 years ago. I started loading my own TSS shells and no longer had to be at the mercy of chasing lot numbers and recipe changes that ammo manufacturers make from year to year.

This is exactly where I want to go next

I have friends with 20ga and 410 shooting incredible patterns with handloaded tss
simpzenith
Facebook: http://www.Facebook.com/simpzenith

Unread postby simpzenith » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:55 pm

My criteria for a turkey gun: pump-action, light weight, camo coating, capable of chambering up to 3.5" shells (even though I usually shoot 3"), drilled and tapped, threaded for screw-in chokes, inexpensive but dependable. Mossberg 535
Public Land Deer & Turkey Hunts: http://www.YouTube.com/simpzenith
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:16 am

backstraps wrote:

This is exactly where I want to go next

I have friends with 20ga and 410 shooting incredible patterns with handloaded tss

I put together a little h & r 410 several years ago too. Even with my tss, it’s still only a 30 yard gun. I had hoped for more out of it but not with that gun. I’ll revisit it at some point though.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:32 am

Here are the two guns I mentioned in my other post. Both are bad medicine for a turkey.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Sat May 02, 2020 7:30 am

Ithaca Turkey Slayer

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”