Jmill’s Pub land snow bird

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

The_Real_Jmill

Jmill’s Pub land snow bird

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Tue May 05, 2020 12:54 am

I set out opening morning to meet my dad and brother at his property where we had pulled a double the year prior with the intent of trying to film him get a bird. We arrive right around 6am the morning of the 18th. It was 26 degrees with 4” of snow on the ground. To be honest I didn’t have high hopes but was going to tough it out anyway. We sat until 8am or so without a gobble or glimpse of a turkey when me and my brother decided to leave and walk some public since I had my public land tag. Long story short we logged a few miles and decided to walk up a pretty steep ridge over looking a swampy bottom. By this time the temps had warmed to 40 degrees and it was sunny with blue skies. We walk up the ridge to a little saddle and let out a few yelps. We were answered down the ridge across the swampy bottom but it sounded like a mile away. Shortly after a hen starts cutting up the ridge from us. We decide to let out a few more yelps and the birds across from us hammered, but this time sounded closer. My bro let out one more call to try and pinpoint them and to our surprise a gobbler hammered off the crest of the ridge within 100 yards. We get setup as he is coming fast. I hear the last gobble and had to reposition and when I did I see his head periscope over the crest of the ridge. He ended up taking off before I could get a shot. At this time my dad met up with us. We made a game plan for the other birds across the swamp and set off. We get to the top of this grassy knoll and my brother and dad let off a couple yelps and the two birds hammered. I set up in the only cover available which was a little cedar tree on the top of the knolL and my dad and brother fell back to call. Within 3 minutes the birds worked to me. The lead bird got to 20 yards on my weak side so I ended up having to swing on him and shot but I hit my mark and got a snow bird. Definitely my most memorable turkey hunt to date. Funny thing is by the time I drove home all the snow was completely melted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Jmill’s Pub land snow bird

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 05, 2020 3:01 am

That’s cool! See tracks in the snow a lot, so why not? Glad they were jacked up to get on the calls. Congrats!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue May 05, 2020 3:05 am

:dance: :dance:
The_Real_Jmill

Unread postby The_Real_Jmill » Tue May 05, 2020 4:18 am

Thanks definitely a first for me in MI. The temperature swing definitely played a factor.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed May 06, 2020 1:34 am

8-) :clap:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”