New public area

Bird Beast Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Moose
500 Club

New public area

Unread postby Moose » Sat May 09, 2020 7:54 am

How should i go about hunting a new public area i have never been to nor scouted? Should i blind call and move every half our to hour? Or walk and call every 10 mins or so until i hear a gobble then set up?

Jmitch

Re: New public area

Unread postby Jmitch » Sat May 09, 2020 9:05 am

Depends what time of day you are first hitting it. If there is any turkeys around at all and you could I'd get there before first light and get somewhere you can hear a good ways and you should hear gobbling from the roost. If it's more a mid day thing I'd hunt/scout my way thru and try to strike something up stopping to call around good sign or likely looking areas. I've always had good luck around me on public just getting there early enough to hear birds on the roost and picking one to go after
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat May 09, 2020 9:55 am

Jmitch wrote:Depends what time of day you are first hitting it. If there is any turkeys around at all and you could I'd get there before first light and get somewhere you can hear a good ways and you should hear gobbling from the roost. If it's more a mid day thing I'd hunt/scout my way thru and try to strike something up stopping to call around good sign or likely looking areas. I've always had good luck around me on public just getting there early enough to hear birds on the roost and picking one to go after

Thanks for the reply. Its in the afternoon. Of course these people mushroom hunting and a guy walking his dogs. Im having a hard time finding sign. It has NWTF posted on a sign. Figured its worth a shot.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun May 10, 2020 10:39 am

I don’t like to sit and blind call unless I have reason to believe a gobbler can hear me. I prefer to keep moving and walk and call until I hear or see something. But I mostly can only hunt until 12 or 1 and like to cover a lot of ground. And my sneaking and crawling is a lot better than my calling :lol:
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Turkey Hunting”