Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
User avatar
jporcello
500 Club
Posts: 1202
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:07 pm
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline

Re: Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Unread postby jporcello » Fri May 18, 2018 11:23 pm

jporcello wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:The things I do not like about high fence operations is there's really no laws that govern them. While some are thousands of acres others aren't even fifty. Some don't even have a tree on the place.

Then here in Tx it's a common issue for these deer to escape and if you shoot one on your own property you are taken to court and must pay to restock the animal, which can be upwards of 10,000. They fall into the livestock laws.

I also don't like the adds and websites for these operations were it's advertised Guaranteed Kill. In my opinion there is no place in anything hunting related for the word guarantee.

So if their animal gets out and onto public land and you shoot it you get sued?

Do they take that same responsibility if a car hits their animal too. Are they held liable?


“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
User avatar
Boogieman1
500 Club
Posts: 4101
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat May 19, 2018 12:57 am

jporcello wrote:
jporcello wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:The things I do not like about high fence operations is there's really no laws that govern them. While some are thousands of acres others aren't even fifty. Some don't even have a tree on the place.

Then here in Tx it's a common issue for these deer to escape and if you shoot one on your own property you are taken to court and must pay to restock the animal, which can be upwards of 10,000. They fall into the livestock laws.

I also don't like the adds and websites for these operations were it's advertised Guaranteed Kill. In my opinion there is no place in anything hunting related for the word guarantee.

So if their animal gets out and onto public land and you shoot it you get sued?

Do they take that same responsibility if a car hits their animal too. Are they held liable?

I'm really not sure in the case of a vehicle, but I would assume not. The cases I have seen where the animal was shot and the hunter sued were on private land. Would think it wouldn't matter if it was public or private. Also the deer shot had a ear tags, just don't personally like the fact it has got to the point where verifying a animal is wild before shooting has found its way into hunting.
I normally don’t drink beer, but when I do it’s Busch Light.
User avatar
jporcello
500 Club
Posts: 1202
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:07 pm
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline

Re: Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Unread postby jporcello » Sat May 19, 2018 3:18 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
jporcello wrote:
jporcello wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:The things I do not like about high fence operations is there's really no laws that govern them. While some are thousands of acres others aren't even fifty. Some don't even have a tree on the place.

Then here in Tx it's a common issue for these deer to escape and if you shoot one on your own property you are taken to court and must pay to restock the animal, which can be upwards of 10,000. They fall into the livestock laws.

I also don't like the adds and websites for these operations were it's advertised Guaranteed Kill. In my opinion there is no place in anything hunting related for the word guarantee.

So if their animal gets out and onto public land and you shoot it you get sued?

Do they take that same responsibility if a car hits their animal too. Are they held liable?

I'm really not sure in the case of a vehicle, but I would assume not. The cases I have seen where the animal was shot and the hunter sued were on private land. Would think it wouldn't matter if it was public or private. Also the deer shot had a ear tags, just don't personally like the fact it has got to the point where verifying a animal is wild before shooting has found its way into hunting.


what ear tag :think:
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
User avatar
rfickes87
500 Club
Posts: 936
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:27 am
Location: PENNSYLVANIA
Status: Offline

Re: Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat May 19, 2018 4:30 am

A few years back a guy I know invited me over to see his trophy room. He had a few buck heads mounted on the wall. His are all 115" to 130" range. Very nice bucks for our area. Then they also have one that scores just over 200"... :o

However that buck was shot by his young daughter in a high fence. She was very sick for a long time and received this hunt thru some sort of make-a-wish foundation. I think everyone here would agree there's nothing wrong with what she did. While I was standing there looking at that freak mount you could see in her eyes how over the moon excited/proud she was of that deer. BTW she has since recovered and is healthy now. But obviously in those instances I don't have a problem with high fence.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
User avatar
Hawthorne
500 Club
Posts: 4900
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:13 pm
Location: michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat May 19, 2018 7:31 am

In Michigan they’re fair game if they escape. Maybe because they spread cwd.A huge non typical was shot last year that escaped a pen. Been several like that
tim
500 Club
Posts: 2327
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:43 am
Status: Offline

Re: Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Unread postby tim » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:08 am

I just don’t care what others do. I don’t care what weapon they use . And could care less what style hunting they do, be it stand,blind,baiting,bed hunting..... hunters have to stop fighting with one another cause it will be the demise of hunting....
mheichelbech
500 Club
Posts: 3873
Joined: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:00 am
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com
Location: Charlestown, IN
Status: Offline

Re: Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:55 am

I’ve never done one but I don’t think all high fence hunts are without a challenge. Many places are thousands of acres and there is no guarantee.

As previously noted, it’s enjoying yourself and being honest that are the two key factors.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
MikePerry
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:32 am
Status: Offline

Re: Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Unread postby MikePerry » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:33 am

I’ve never had a desire to hunt high fence, the only problem I’ve ever had with it was when it’s used for self promotion. A local hunter who wants to be in the hunting industry so bad he does not know what to do with himself started going on canned hunts and shot some 180 plus bucks, then he started writing articles and submitting them to bowhunting.com with his avatar picture of the giant buck he killed inside the fence. His articles were full of mentions of every scent, call, article of clothing bow arrow broadhead stand I mean it was ridiculous, no real tactic mentioned just all these gadgets and equipment he pro staffs for are the reason for his success and his hero photo in the article gives the false perception that the giant buck was taken fair chase. To me that’s what is wrong with the hunting industry. I know he just one individual but had I not known the guy and I read his article and I was a young impressionable hunter I may of bought that BS.

The other problem I have with deer farming is the risk of spreading CWD to the wild deer population.
Persistence pays!!!
User avatar
Boogieman1
500 Club
Posts: 4101
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:57 pm

MikePerry wrote:I’ve never had a desire to hunt high fence, the only problem I’ve ever had with it was when it’s used for self promotion. A local hunter who wants to be in the hunting industry so bad he does not know what to do with himself started going on canned hunts and shot some 180 plus bucks, then he started writing articles and submitting them to bowhunting.com with his avatar picture of the giant buck he killed inside the fence. His articles were full of mentions of every scent, call, article of clothing bow arrow broadhead stand I mean it was ridiculous, no real tactic mentioned just all these gadgets and equipment he pro staffs for are the reason for his success and his hero photo in the article gives the false perception that the giant buck was taken fair chase. To me that’s what is wrong with the hunting industry. I know he just one individual but had I not known the guy and I read his article and I was a young impressionable hunter I may of bought that BS.

The other problem I have with deer farming is the risk of spreading CWD to the wild deer population.


Good point. I think a lot more of this goes on than we are aware of. My big concern being from a state that made high fence hunting famous. Is that in the not so distant future it will be the only hunting left. Every year in my area more and more ranches see the dollars to be made providing canned hunts and put up high fences of there own. There's already a shortage of free ranging areas to hunt so every little bit makes a impact.

I get the whole I would rather a guy be hunting behind a fence than not at all. But does it get to a point of all harm no good for the hunting community in general. To me it just gives us a black eye and does nothing but prove to most that a large portion of hunters only care about big racks at any cost.
I normally don’t drink beer, but when I do it’s Busch Light.
tundra@1
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:52 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Unread postby tundra@1 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:33 pm

Pigs cause CWD,,, come on,,, that's a new one..... anyway, I go every year. Its a lot of fun, and great eating animal. I go to two places Superior Game Ranch in the UP, and Monday I will leave for NorthStar Game land in Iowa,,,,, lots of fun, and big operations....
mipubbucks24
500 Club
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:56 am
Location: South West Michigan
Status: Offline

Re: Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:40 am

The problem is not the “high fence”. The problem is celebrity hunters who do high fence hunts and claim that it is free chase and promote themselves as experts in the field. Thankfully hunting media is moving away from this with the hunting beast & THP & others promoting truly fair chase hunting.

If you want to do a high fence hunt and you enjoy it, then go for it. Others will not share your opinion and that is fine, do what makes you happy as long as it’s legal.

Should “high fence hunting” be legal that’s a whole different debate.
Pudster
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:45 am
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi
Status: Offline

Re: Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Unread postby Pudster » Mon May 18, 2020 9:25 am

Why is it that you almost never see one mounted with the ear tag left in? I think we all know why, the same reason you dont see the ear tag on the cover of what ever magazine they put themselves on. I dont consider it hunting, its much closer to shooting in my book. Other than the risk of spreading CWD i really could care less if people want to go and shoot penned animals, just call it what it is and dont try to pass it off as anything else. It also gets my goat when people post pics of themselves with a buck with the caption, My 2019 archery buck or bow buck, when it was shot with an xbow. Again I could care less what you shoot deer with, just be honest and call it what it is.
tundra@1
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:52 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Reevaluating the "high" fence hunt

Unread postby tundra@1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:11 am

I hunt pigs. That's it. As for deer on those places spreading CWD that is very debate able. It's also a great place for many. Alot of disabled hunters have had great opportunity because of quality game ranches. Ever been to Africa.?


  • Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest