Public Land Pigs

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Re: Public Land Pigs

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:36 pm

I know this probably don't help but if you ever make a trip to Louisiana almost every piece of public land has pigs.

"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Wild Bill Army Scout

Unread postby Wild Bill Army Scout » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:36 am

IkemanTx: Oddly enough, Hawgs are extremely tough and resilient. I have shot them with a .308, 165 Grain Hornady SST (Hand Load) and tracked a blood trail several hundred yards on multiple occasions to recover my hawg. The crazy thing is: I shot a Hawg in the forehead (frontal) with a #5 Turkey load at 30 yards and killed it deader than a door nail. I was also Duck Hunting and shot a Hawg behind the ear, running, with #4 Steel Shot and killed it deader than a door nail at 40 yards. There is just something about a shotgun that drops them in their tracks. Every other Hawg I have heart or head shot with a rifle or bow, seem to run several hundred yards. I just can't figure it out. Everyone thought I was crazy for shooting Hawgs with bird shot; but, it worked extremely well. Looking forward to your feedback about how 22 LR works on Hawgs.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there." - Fred Bear
PossumWalker

Unread postby PossumWalker » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:29 am

Kraftd wrote:I generally don't make these kind of posts, but a couple of buddies and I have been talking about getting some pigs for the freezer. Problem is we live in Northern Illinois so thanfully, nothing terribly local yet, so not sure where to start.

Generally looking for public land, closer to us the better with reasonable chance to go home with some pork. Don't mind hard work, not looking for exact locations, just a start. Primary goal is meat related. Totally new to hog hunting so just trying to get a little head start.

If anyone has any thoughts, they would be much appreciated, could be nothing fits our wish list.

I can barely walk through the swamp during bow season on a lot of Louisiana public land without running in to them. Richard K Yancy is a great place for hogs.
PossumWalker

Unread postby PossumWalker » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:31 am

Tufrthnails wrote:I know a couple of guys that have killed pigs with 22lr, but I'd be packing at least .223. I rocked a 225# boar with my .50 cal muzzleloader at 7 yards he ran 100+ yards. Granted it was a shoulder shot, but when I processed him his heart was jelly. I typically earhole hogs (lot less tracking involved). I'd be hesitant to go after one with a .22lr.

I've earholed some big ones with a .22 mag. On public land here in la (not sure how it is elsewhere) you have to shoot them with a weapon that is legal for an open season animal. .22 mag is the biggest legal squirrel hunting weapon.

• Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”