Public Land Pigs

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Public Land Pigs

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:07 am

I generally don't make these kind of posts, but a couple of buddies and I have been talking about getting some pigs for the freezer. Problem is we live in Northern Illinois so thanfully, nothing terribly local yet, so not sure where to start.

Generally looking for public land, closer to us the better with reasonable chance to go home with some pork. Don't mind hard work, not looking for exact locations, just a start. Primary goal is meat related. Totally new to hog hunting so just trying to get a little head start.

If anyone has any thoughts, they would be much appreciated, could be nothing fits our wish list.

hunter_mike

Re: Public Land Pigs

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:20 am

Me, my brother and a friend tried this. We went to Davy Crocket National Forest in texas. We didnt kill any hogs. But I do think its doable. Good thing is, it was a relatively cheap trip.

Seemed like they react to hunting pressure similar to deer do. The best tracks we found were on the fringes of public/private boundaries. We didnt have good enough maps to be confident in where we were walking and not trespassing. If we would have had better maps i think we would have had a better shot.

Also, if I were to go again I would definitely look into doing some night hunting, (cant remember the legalities but I think its allowed there). I was thinking a big comfy summit climber and sit through the night.

We learned that a lot of guys get them on public ground but they get them opportunistically. So when they see them, they get them, but to hunt for them is a lot tougher.

My thread from our hog hunt: viewtopic.php?t=25334&p=327039
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:38 am

If you want to venture down to MS before Jan 31st. I can direct you to some public covered in pigs. It would be bow only & oos license fees are steep $420, but killing hogs is pretty much a guarantee.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:58 am

I can also point you to some public in MS that is loaded with them, a couple wmas would be primitive weapon (muzzleloader, 45-70, 35 whelen, .444). About 9 hours from Chicago. Like cbig said, OOS licenses are steep here and you have to do it prior to season closing. Possibly could do it on a small game license which would open up a 3 day or 5 day permit, not sure about that.

There are some areas in southern Mo and Western Tn & Ky that I know have hogs. Not exactly sure on specifics of where and legalities but those would obviously be closer to you.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:38 am

I go to Alabama every spring, it's cheap and if you're willing to put in some boot leather you can kill hogs.
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:35 am

If you're interested, I can point you to some land here in Oklahoma. Only problem is some of the land closes after January 31 until our turkey season opens in April. (Out of 3 morning hunts in the area)

I've seen sign of hogs in the past, but never seen actual pigs until last spring. Shot a young boat out of a group of 4-5 during turkey season. Opening day of archery stuck one high that was with another pig. Tracked for 600 yards and gave up.

Muzzleloader I saw a few sows with a bunch of piglets in tow. (Only 1 hunt in the area)

Rifle season I saw a large group of pigs. (Only one hunt in the area)

You can hunt pigs while "targeting other species" (our coyote season is open 365 days a year *wink*)

You can stand hunt or still hunt and be effective from what I've experienced this year. The population seems to be exploding. All you need is a NR hunting license. This is the NE corner of the state. Let me know if you need more info. I've got nothing to hide on the wma and will divulge any info regarding pigs, but from what I've seen they're nomadic and could be anywhere. The sign is everywhere.
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:48 am

I'll also add that there's another WMA literally adjacent to the property I'm thinking of that's open year round. It's gotta have pigs too.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:23 am

Ya know, it is nice to hear guys pipe in and help out of state guys. I always wanted to go pig " huntn" but have not yet. My life has to slow down a whole lot before I have time for stuff like this, but thanks for being generous.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:30 am

ihookem wrote:Ya know, it is nice to hear guys pipe in and help out of state guys. I always wanted to go pig " huntn" but have not yet. My life has to slow down a whole lot before I have time for stuff like this, but thanks for being generous.

Same here. Lots I want to do, but time just doesn't allow it. Pigs are definitely on the list
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:47 am

If I was going to hunt hogs on public land coming from IL. I would look at GA and AL. I live in FL and pass a LOT of hogs. I generally shoot a couple a season. The thing I have found with hogs is if you are gonna target them. Find the food. Here in FL that is the Palm berries. I'm not sure which palm tree it is I think it is a Cabbage palm, but when they start dropping berries the hogs will be there. If they aren't dropping berries plan on wearing some boot leather out. Hogs are super migratory. On hog only hunts I will drive all the roads I have access to in a given WMA. I look for the freshest sign I can find. Then I get a game plan for the wind and I start following sign. A big sounder of hogs can be heard from a good distance away. I heard them as far as 500 yards on a calm day. That being said I have rounded a bend and been face to face with them. Generally as far as terrain goes find the wetter areas. If you find a wallow mark it. They can be worth coming back to and sitting on in the evening.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:08 pm

I'm working on putting a gun together for my scouting/hunting backpack for pigs. I'm thinking a tiger 10/22 with a collapsible stock and a shotgun scabbard on the backpack. The 22cal would really limit my range and shot placement, but I'm lookin for piglets just shy of breeding age. Easier to carry out, easier to butcher. I come across them fairly often when I'm scouting. If it is hot out, the easiest way to get on them is sitting on a freshly used wallow.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:54 pm

I know a couple of guys that have killed pigs with 22lr, but I'd be packing at least .223. I rocked a 225# boar with my .50 cal muzzleloader at 7 yards he ran 100+ yards. Granted it was a shoulder shot, but when I processed him his heart was jelly. I typically earhole hogs (lot less tracking involved). I'd be hesitant to go after one with a .22lr.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:15 pm

I'm pretty sure you could buy a few years worth of already packaged high quality pork products for the cost of an oos liscense. It's much easier, economical and practical to buy turkey and pork in bulk.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:13 am

Bonecrusher101 wrote:I'm pretty sure you could buy a few years worth of already packaged high quality pork products for the cost of an oos liscense. It's much easier, economical and practical to buy turkey and pork in bulk.

No license required in FL to hunt hogs, just a management permit if you are gonna hunt on a WMA. I think GA. Is the same way.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:36 am

Tufrthnails wrote:I know a couple of guys that have killed pigs with 22lr, but I'd be packing at least .223. I rocked a 225# boar with my .50 cal muzzleloader at 7 yards he ran 100+ yards. Granted it was a shoulder shot, but when I processed him his heart was jelly. I typically earhole hogs (lot less tracking involved). I'd be hesitant to go after one with a .22lr.

A 22LR would limit me to bow ranges, and my only shots would be either behind the ear or forehead brain shot.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.

• Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”