February Wild boar hunt

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

February Wild boar hunt

Unread postby woodswalker » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:43 am

Hunted in SC the 9th and 10th of February. I got two nice ones, brindle color 162 lbs and the black one 147 lbs. Had quite a thrill, I always wait about 5 minutes and watch my hog after I shoot it until I go down to it to take pictures. The 162 pounder brindle color went right down, gave a few kicks and then was still so after I observed it for a while I grabbed my backpack and went to the pig. I took my camera out of the pack and walked up and took a picture, the first one I posted. I then walked to the front to get a head on picture, as I got ready to take the pic, I saw him blink, it was an oh crap moment. My rifle was on my right shoulder but I had my ,40 S&W on my right hip. Right after I saw the blink he jumped up and charged, popping his teeth and making a scary noise, as I was only about 4 feet away I just had time to draw my handgun and fire and he went down at my feet. I stepped back a step and he came at me again and I shot him again, this time I hit the spine and put him down for good. Turns out my rifle shot had gone into the neck where I aimed and exited from the opposite shoulder. He was bleeding out and would have died but it would have taken a while. If he had had three good legs he would have gotten me for sure. The next day I took the black one just before I ran out of shooting light. I waited and observed a little longer this time. I also had some collateral damage, I took this hog right behind the shoulder and he dropped right now and didn't even kick. When I walked up to take my pictures there was about a 12 to 15 lb piglet laying there with a bullet hole in the same place as the big hog. The little bugger was the same color as the dirt and he was so close to the big hog I couldn't see him, in fact when the guide came to pick up me and my hog he stood only a foot away and didn't see the little guy. I had him skinned and left whole and vacuum packed and he is in my freezer. I am going to make roast suckling pig one day soon.

We had a good hunt, three of us brought home 6 hogs, it got warm, one day it was 78 degrees on the stand.

Life is short, eat dessert first!
john1984

Re: February Wild boar hunt

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:06 am

Congratulations. I'd sure like to try me some wild bacon someday
woodswalker
500 Club

Unread postby woodswalker » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:40 am

I had some bacon made one year. It was good but, the problem is in order to have thick enough pork belly which is what bacon is made from, you need much bigger hogs than what I want to kill. My bacon had good flavor but it was so narrow you had to make twice as much as you may think you needed because it shrank so much. A 4 hundred pound hog would probably had thick enough belly for good bacon.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:41 am

yes being next to a live boar growling and smacking there jaws is scary :o especially when there are no trees around to get in if they charge.

I was archery hunting once in palmettos and only saw a spot of the hog 2 ft in front of me. He was growling and smacking his jaw. Needless to say I did not realize if I would have kicked the bush, I would have literally kicked him in the but.
woodswalker
500 Club

Unread postby woodswalker » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:10 am

It does make the heart beat increase! :mrgreen:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:31 pm

8-) 8-) 8-) :clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:22 pm

Congrats WW! That looks like a lot of fun.....especially with a big shot of adrenaline! :lol:
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:25 am

Sounds fun. I was wanting to do a pig hunt this winter, but we went on an ice fishing wekend instead. Shoulda went pig hunting
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:10 pm

Nice looking hogs, did you hunt with an outfitter? I'm looking for one to book a hunt.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
woodswalker
500 Club

Unread postby woodswalker » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:47 am

See your other post on boar hunts, I posted a link for you.

• Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”