Feral Pigs in PA

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Double Draw

Feral Pigs in PA

Unread postby Double Draw » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:18 pm

Anyone hunting wild pigs in PA? If so, what general locations have you seen them in? I am collecting meat for a game dinner and would like to have some pork on the menu. I'd also love to hunt a wild porker, too!

Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: Feral Pigs in PA

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:14 am

I don't think Pennsylvania has wild pigs.
Joe™
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:34 am

Be careful what you wish for...it sounds nice to have a couple pigs to shoot at, but there are never just a few pigs. They very quickly become hundreds. We can't even make a dent in the population down here in Texas.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:29 am

I believe there are some hunting preserves in PA that have pigs. A friend of mine went on a preserve pig hunt in PA a few years ago as a birthday gift. I think the preserve was in Somerset. There is no huntable population of wild pigs in PA that I'm aware of...and I hope it stays that way!
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:56 am

Josh_S wrote:I believe there are some hunting preserves in PA that have pigs. A friend of mine went on a preserve pig hunt in PA a few years ago as a birthday gift. I think the preserve was in Somerset. There is no huntable population of wild pigs in PA that I'm aware of...and I hope it stays that way!

X2
Joe™
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:05 am

Doubledraw there are some feral hogs in PA and I say feral because most of them are wild domestics that escaped a fenced hunting operation or pigs someone idiot who thought it would be nice to hunt wild boar in PA. Over 10 years ago the wildlife services folks from the federal dept of Ag did a trapping operation to get rid of the hogs. During that time hunting them was illegal so they wouldn't get spread out from disturbance. They did a pretty good job and trapped them for a few years. There were some that survived but I assure you, anyone who knows a property that has hogs will not tell you where they are at because they want them for themselves. If we are lucky they will all be killed off, the odds are against it but that would be best. I hunt hogs in the south, and if you have ever seen what a sounder of wild hogs, even a small one can ro to a crop field, or even a lawn, you would not want to see a huntable population of wild hogs in PA.
Life is short, eat dessert first!
Double Draw

Unread postby Double Draw » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:42 pm

To be clear I do not wish to have hogs in PA. I have watched plenty of footage from other states of the damage they do. Furthermore, I am a farmer so I have a vested interest. I heard from someone that there are some feral hogs in the state and wanted to do my part to get rid of them. I believe what they were describing is domestics that got loose and started reproducing, as someone mentioned. Thanks for the information.
121zla

Unread postby 121zla » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:I don't think Pennsylvania has wild pigs.

Do you even know what youre talking about man?
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:18 pm

121zla wrote:

Well 121zla have you been seeing many wild pigs in Pennsylvania? Because I sure haven't.
Joe™
121zla

Unread postby 121zla » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:08 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:
121zla wrote:

Well 121zla have you been seeing many wild pigs in Pennsylvania? Because I sure haven't.

Maybe you should look harder
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:59 am

Outdoor 814, read your hunting and trapping digest or go on the PGC website, there are regulations for hunting wild hogs in PA! That would mean there are wild hogs in PA. Read my post several posts back.
Life is short, eat dessert first!

• Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”