Southeast Ohio public land hogs

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Southeast Ohio public land hogs

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:28 am

So the Odnr website has little info on the hogs in SE Ohio. There's a PDF that's a bit dated that has some WMA's that are probable and ones that have confirmed sightings. I was just wondering if anyone has had success in finding them and hunting them? What are your thoughts on an out of stater trying to find them?

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
backstraps

Re: Southeast Ohio public land hogs

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:41 pm

thepennsylvanian wrote:So the Odnr website has little info on the hogs in SE Ohio. There's a PDF that's a bit dated that has some WMA's that are probable and ones that have confirmed sightings. I was just wondering if anyone has had success in finding them and hunting them? What are your thoughts on an out of stater trying to find them?

I have seen "a hog" on public I didnt see a lot of hog sign other than tracks. I also spoke with DNR, and kind of took away from the conversation they wasnt heavily populated "yet" they do want them eradicated I know a group of guys that track and push them during heavy snow and kill several each year in SE Ohio
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:40 pm

Hogs move all the time, low density and big woods are a bad combination. I'd look somewhere else with an established problem. Reason I say that is because I've hunted them in other states with established populations and they are still tough to find and kill without a lot of previous knowledge or bait. I spent about 25 days hunting public land big woods hogs (day light to dark). On 21 of those days I essentially just went for a 10 hr hike.
If the populations is a low as what I've heard in SE Ohio it's probably pretty close to being a waist of time. Unless you are pretty close and can make multiple trips. Just my 2 cent. If you really want to get on public land hogs head to the SE US.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:26 pm

im from western PA, right on the wv line. I killed alot of pigs when i lived in hawaii, so im not on a trek where i need to kill a hog. I was more looking for something to get after with my bow between turkey and deer seasons.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”