New Night Hog Rifle Set Up Help

Boar Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Damifinow Fish

New Night Hog Rifle Set Up Help

Unread postby Damifinow Fish » Mon May 13, 2019 12:41 am

New Night Hog Rifle Set Up Help:

Going to give Night Hog Hunting a try this winter in NC.

Using a 300 Blackout on an AR platform as my primary rifle and a scoped bolt action .308 as a back up if needed.

I plan on using a green rifle mounted light and scope combo on the 300 BK.

My question is, being my first time hunting this way, does this sound like right type of set up?

What Power scope would you use? 3x9 with a 50mm objective to let more light in is what I am thinking.

Would you stay with traditional cross hairs or go with illumination cross hairs?

Thank you for your insight

Damifinow Fish

Double Naught Spy

Re: New Night Hog Rifle Set Up Help

Unread postby Double Naught Spy » Tue May 21, 2019 8:08 am

There are a variety of green lights out there. Contrary to popular belief, hogs can see them. That does not mean that they will react to them, not the first time, but they learn pretty quick that if you light them up with a green light and start shooting, then after a time or two, you light them up and they will run.

You should operate with the same light tactics as white like and light up above the hogs and slower lower the light and crosshairs down over the hogs to shoot. Lighting up animals suddenly with white, red, or green light can spook them.

An illuminated reticle will be a big help. With standard black crosshairs, you are basically looking for the darkest part dim scope image in order to aim. That is much more difficult than looking for an illuminated crosshair image, particularly if the crosshairs are not green. The thing is, they won't have be be very bright at all in order to stand out.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Re: New Night Hog Rifle Set Up Help

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:06 am

Double Naught Spy wrote:There are a variety of green lights out there. Contrary to popular belief, hogs can see them. That does not mean that they will react to them, not the first time, but they learn pretty quick that if you light them up with a green light and start shooting, then after a time or two, you light them up and they will run.

You should operate with the same light tactics as white like and light up above the hogs and slower lower the light and crosshairs down over the hogs to shoot. Lighting up animals suddenly with white, red, or green light can spook them.

An illuminated reticle will be a big help. With standard black crosshairs, you are basically looking for the darkest part dim scope image in order to aim. That is much more difficult than looking for an illuminated crosshair image, particularly if the crosshairs are not green. The thing is, they won't have be be very bright at all in order to stand out.

DNS. Good to see you over here bro.

I hope OP payed attention, DNS is the man at night hunting hogs.

• Advertisement

Return to “Boar Hunting”